Experience with leather conditioner.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:05 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Ermanno you are one compulsive SOB!!
Comes with the ADHD that never was treated growing up. Really guys, give that product a shot and tell me what you think? Jason, I remember that day and was jealous that I couldn't join you in San Jose (Santana Row). I live in SF and have never driven down there to visit. One of these weekends.!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy ****! am I in the detail section of auto zone, very impressive and my friends think I'm ****. I liked the Zymol paint product, used it on my vettes but never tried on p-cars.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have always liked Hide Food (now called Hide Care because of a couple of morons who attempted to try it internally after finding it (correctly) stored in the refrigerator...)

Covering. The most important.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:24 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

LOL.. It wasn't used as a pretty colored dip in my house.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:14 AM
ToffeGT2
Track Day

My lord! gradyex, you sure know every product better than we do for sure.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:40 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

i thought i was nuts, it's not often to see ppl with more car car stuff than i do. but you have me beat over and over. man, you are crazy ;-)
i have lots of griots, also in gallon jars, those little bottles are for wimps
i buy their clay 10 jar at a time, 10 gallons of speed shine at a time. they thought i was drinking them.

Originally Posted by gradyex
Ok Guys, I tried a product yesterday that I am really thrilled about (so far)! Before i go on I must comment on some of the products mentioned above. I bought Lexol (2 part) a few months back because of its reputation. After i applied the product(s) I immediately removed it. Why? Not because its bad, but because it smells and looks horrible on my leather loaded turbo. I simply took Griots interior cleaner and cleaned the stuff off (at least as much as I could). The seats, dash, doors, center console, headliner, door finishers, and rear seats were soft, supple, and Satin again, just like the way the car came when delivered (by the way I insisted that my dealer NOT detail either the outside or inside of my car). I have my reasons for that and vouch to never again let anyone but myself detail my automobiles.........So, i want you guys to know where I am comming from and how I like my leather to turn out. I hate any kind of oilly, greasy, shinny, leather smelling, slippery crap that goes on my car, period!

OK, without rambling on about how many years/ products I've tried I will get back to my initial point. Yesterday a bottle of Zymol leather CLEANER that I recently ordered arrived via UPS. I already have Zymol conditioner and tried it, but, like the lexol, removed it because it was too greasy for my taste. I did use some other "popular" cleaner prior to applying the conditioner. Yesterday, I spent a good hour or so using just Zymol's leather cleaner and i couldn't be happier with the outcome. This product uses Glycerin among other ingredients in its cleaner so there is plenty of "conditioners" already in it. It feels like a sudsy liquid and goes on quickly. Another thing i noticed is very little smell (a tad of bannana dissapates almost immediately as you initially spray it on). Also, (according to the label) its so gentle it can be used as often as you like but it does state that you should not over use the product on the stitching. I apply my leather products with a WHITE soft dense smooth sponge (alla Griots) about the size of the palm of my hand and immediately dry it with a soft microfiber cloth. I use a white sponge for good reason. If i see the slightest amount of black dye on my white sponge then the product is too strong IMO. This one passed the test. Of course my interior is not actually dirty and this is just a test. I also rinse the sponge with fresh cold water every 15 minutes or so and ring it out dry because it makes for a better job with no streaks...just re-spray with the product as needed. Zymol makes some great products and some not so great products (I have no interest whatsoever with this company). Some of their products cost a small fortune, but not this one. A $10 dollar bottle goes a long way. I might follow with Porsches conditioner once or at most twice
per year (try not to let it sit too long unless you like greasy seats until the next cleaning) LOL! Here are some of the products that I have tried on my automobiles over the years. Cheers!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Another Griot's guzzler here. I really like their spray on wax. Use it after each wash. So gradyex, for the leather at my delivery time...

1. nothing and do my own
2. Zaino
3. Porsche ?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:56 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Zaino, you said you preferred the Zymol leather cleaner.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:02 AM
gradyex
Racer

Guys, the Zanio leather cleaner was my favorite until last week when I gave Zymol leather cleaner a try and now thats my favorite. Zanio adds fragrance which is ok but the Zymol stuff doesn't leave much of a smell (initially it smells like banana but that lasts a few minutes). I just like the way my leather looks using Zymol...no streaks, no gloss, just natural looking. I can't say I am a fan of ANY leather conditioners. The Zymol cleaner has conditioners in it and can be used often (according to the label). Those Griots products by the gallon save a ton of $$ just refilling the spray bottles that you see lined up. LOL. Most of them are 3 -4 years old and the only ones I refill on a regular basis are the wheel cleaner, the interior cleaner, the speed shine, and the spray wax (great for a quick detail). Sonus makes decent products also. Terry, either product will be fine just skip the conditioner you really don't need that right away. I would also wait to even clean it, enjoy that leather new car smell, it doesn't last that long! I think these leather conditioners might be the culprit! After a few months go ahead with Zymol leather cleaner and Porsches leather conditioner. Do one section of the car at a time wiping off each product with a microfiber towel (will prevent build up over time). One more thing guys..... someone on the board, (Eric the plug guy I think) said to NEVER CONDITION THE DASHBOARD. Apparently the leather in this area is especially treated at the factory to resist cracking from direct sunlight? I can't find anything in my manual stating that but the man knows his stuff. Eric can chime in if he wants? I have done mine with no problems but my car is garaged and a sunshade is in the front trunk if I am parking it in direct sunlight for any length of time.

Last edited by gradyex; 11-03-2007 at 04:26 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Thanks gradyex.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:15 PM
hduffy
Instructor

WOW Is the trophy in the background of the first picture for "Detailing Product Person of the Year." LOL
Seriously, thanks for the tip.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Toffe, what kind of leather care are you going to use on your new cocoa leather with all that white stitching? How would you avoid all that stitching and will the product darken the thread?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:35 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

White stitching has a great contrast to dark leather colors but you pay for the light color. just seat use will darken the stitching where your clothes come in contact over time. I would find a cleaner/conditioner that didn't yellow/darken by testing, not on your car. If there is one use it to protect the stitching from usage darkening.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:04 AM
gradyex
Racer

Originally Posted by hduffy
WOW Is the trophy in the background of the first picture for "Detailing Product Person of the Year." LOL
Seriously, thanks for the tip.
Wow, pretty observant of you. Actually I had to pull it down to see what it was. Looks like in 1993 a volleyball team that I played for won 1st place in a tournament. I use to play indoors at a local club every wed night. However, I did find a plack for a "class award" back in 1997 when I entered a Corvette concourse show at Crown Jewel 4 (Crown Chevrolet) and placed 3rd! That was a first and last for me (I swear)! LOL! I was one of the first guys to actually own a C5 Corvette and I went to some events with the West Coast Corvette Club mainly to show and tell the new model. It was a fun time but deep down I wanted to go back to owning a P car.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 AM
gradyex
Racer

Originally Posted by Ms.Greta
Toffe, what kind of leather care are you going to use on your new cocoa leather with all that white stitching? How would you avoid all that stitching and will the product darken the thread?
Thats a very good point! Keep that stitching as clean as possible so you don't have to do the leather cleaner/conditioner as often. My stitching is standard and it has darkened quite a bit since it was new 6 months ago. It would be great to hear from someone who has a light colored deviated stitching? How do you keep it from darkening when detailing your car over time? Selecting the right products to care for your leather takes on a new meaning!

Quick Reply: Experience with leather conditioner.