Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

There is no black trim on the back of the GT3
Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Here are three different versions of painted/unpainted front & rear lips, skirts on White TT's. 1st pic is unpainted, 2nd pic is only painted skirts, and 3rd pic shows all parts painted. Gives a good visual comparison.
Attached Images    
Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

It's funny how just painting the rockers makes the car look shorter front to back. I think painted lowers all around is the way to go. I will, however, do them myself after taking delivery to save a bunch of $$$. I'm thinking Eclou's "splitters" are the way to go to avoid damage to the front lip.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:26 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
I had the same concerns so I fabricated these protective splitters out of 3/16" polyethylene sheet in my garage. They are fastened to the lip using #10 oval trim screws backed by #10-24 speednuts. I have taken the car at speed (>150mph) and it is very well fixed with no negative aero effects. I have a plastics shop now fabricating a bunch using a CNC router and will be offering them for interested owners. It will be offered for my production cost, which I estimate to be at $20-25 per corner max. I call them "CheapArt splitters." They can be mounted protruding like a splitter or flush like a skid plate. I would recommend mounting them slightly protruding to act as a "curb feeler."

Eugene, here is your creation in place. Not a perfect install but it will do the job. The problem is the car is a few mm lower now and touching the ground slightly earlier but it looks like it is going to protect the rest of the plastic oem lip.
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Gene, I will definitely be getting a pair of these from you after I get the car. I decided to order the sills, front and rear spoiler unpainted from the factory and do it after delivery.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:32 PM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Gene, I will definitely be getting a pair of these from you after I get the car. I decided to order the sills, front and rear spoiler unpainted from the factory and do it after delivery.
Dr G

Definitely the right decision to paint the lower panels. It'll look much better, especially from the front and side views. Imho, painted trim is a must on light color cars.

Here's a link to some before and after shots showing the differences.
http://flickr.com/photos/7384012@N05/

I should note the painted trim will accentuate the wheelwell gaps. You will need spacers (7mm frt / 15mm rear) or wheels with less offset to fill the fenders.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAHTT
Eugene, here is your creation in place. Not a perfect install but it will do the job. The problem is the car is a few mm lower now and touching the ground slightly earlier but it looks like it is going to protect the rest of the plastic oem lip.

Looks good Anthony!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:07 AM
cgng30
Instructor

Originally Posted by golfguy
Dr G

Definitely the right decision to paint the lower panels. It'll look much better, especially from the front and side views. Imho, painted trim is a must on light color cars.

Here's a link to some before and after shots showing the differences.
http://flickr.com/photos/7384012@N05/

I should note the painted trim will accentuate the wheelwell gaps. You will need spacers (7mm frt / 15mm rear) or wheels with less offset to fill the fenders.
i am in the same position. i cant decide if i should get them all painted or leave it balck. i have a speed yellow. i am replacing all my lower panels (front/rear lips, and side skirts) since they are a bit scuffed up. any feedback would be great
Old 12-02-2008, 12:06 PM
MistGt
Advanced

I just got my GT Silver TT back from the body shop with front lip, side rockers, and rear bumper fascia painted. The car looks much more aggressive and also gives the effect that the car sits a bit lower to the ground when you look at it from a distance. The front lip will get scraped (I've done it already), but it's only the bottom part of the lip and you can't see the scrape at all. Here's a tip that might help you decide:

Keep the black plastic lip for awhile and see how it rubs on the hills or driveways you just can't avoid. If it only scrapes the bottom part of the lip and doesn't bend or scrape any of the plastic on the face of the lip spoiler, then I'd say you're ok to paint your lower body kit CW if you like. Just keep in mind as I do that no matter what, the front end will scrape a little bit and as long as you prepare yourself, it won't bother you. I've been driving the car over speed bumps and driveways much more carefully, which is a new habit that'll come if you decide to do the paint work. Hope this helps!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:30 PM
cgng30
Instructor

Originally Posted by MistGt
I just got my GT Silver TT back from the body shop with front lip, side rockers, and rear bumper fascia painted. The car looks much more aggressive and also gives the effect that the car sits a bit lower to the ground when you look at it from a distance. The front lip will get scraped (I've done it already), but it's only the bottom part of the lip and you can't see the scrape at all. Here's a tip that might help you decide:

Keep the black plastic lip for awhile and see how it rubs on the hills or driveways you just can't avoid. If it only scrapes the bottom part of the lip and doesn't bend or scrape any of the plastic on the face of the lip spoiler, then I'd say you're ok to paint your lower body kit CW if you like. Just keep in mind as I do that no matter what, the front end will scrape a little bit and as long as you prepare yourself, it won't bother you. I've been driving the car over speed bumps and driveways much more carefully, which is a new habit that'll come if you decide to do the paint work. Hope this helps!
thanks
do you mind if i ask how much did all the paint work for all the 4 pieces cost, did you remove all the pieces or did they paint it with on the car. is it a perfect match on the colour
Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

What if you get the aerokit? The front splitter/rear apron are painted. Can you put clear film over these?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:25 PM
MistGt
Advanced

cgng30

The paintwork is a perfect match. Riz also brought up a good point about the aerokit. I do not recommend it for two main reasons. For one thing, it is way too much money. The aerokit runs about $5600 and gets you only a rear spoiler and a slightly different front lip spoiler that extends out further than the stock lip. As a result, the aerokit lip spoiler will be much easier to scrape because it changes the angle at which the front bumper will make contact (unfortunately) with any hills or driveways. The rear spoiler, to me, looks too similar to the stock rear spoiler when the wing is raised. The aerokit is certainly a nice looking piece overall but not worth all that extra dough imho.

I got my spoiler pieces painted for about $1,000, which isn't a bad price considering you save quite a bit over the aerokit and it still gives the car that extra edge. They do have to remove the front and rear bumpers and detach each piece separately to paint. The same goes for the side skirts. All of that was included in the price. My shop did a great job and I am very happy with the new look. I definitely would recommend it!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:10 AM
OneManTX
Pro

Originally Posted by MistGt

+1.
Despite being careful, I scrape the front almost everyday (leaving parking lot at my office and about 50% of the time leaving my driveway) but appear to be just scraping the bottom.

I have front and rear lips painted. Have clear bra on the front lip. I took these pics today - has about 2800 miles, no track. Also got new license plates today!
Attached Images   
Old 12-04-2008, 01:25 PM
hidalgo
Advanced

OneManTx, Where did you get that plate? I think it looks great!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:34 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

yeah, tell us about the plate. I cannot find it on the TXDot site

Quick Reply: Unpainted front spoiler and rear lip