Sponsored by:

CHP, Lidar, and front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Sammyh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHP, Lidar, and front license plate

A couple of weeks ago I made my grand entrance on to 280 heading south from Palo Alto, CA and almost instantly saw the CHP car on the shoulder. I immediately slammed the brakes on (creating a ton of brake dust that I washed off that weekend) slowing from about 100 to 60, and then keep that speed until he had a chance to chase me down, which he did.

He asked me how fast I thought I was going, and I said I didn’t know (and wanted to say, “and neither do you.”) I was pretty convinced that he wasn’t using Lidar since he had been inside his car, but still, you never know, and I was anxious as he told me to wait in the car.

Aside: in California the definition of reckless driving is the observation by the officer of 3 different infractions during a single driving incident. So I figured my 3 were: excessive speed, illegal lane change (since I swept across 4 lanes on my entry), and possibly following the car in front of me too closely.

So when I saw him preparing a citation in my review mirror, I let my fantasy run of being handcuffed and taken downtown.

When he returned, he leaned down and said, “I’ve got some bad news. . .” I didn’t hear what he had to say after that – which was, “and some good news” – since I thought he had just confirmed my worse fear.

In any case, as suspected, he couldn’t gauge my speed, and told me that it was my “lucky day” because he wasn’t giving me a speeding ticket, but was giving me a fixit ticket to put the front license plate on.

After that, I decided to try the license plate holder from http://www.moweraxle.com/, which screws into the tow hook of the 997TT. I got it in a week, installed it in 10 minutes, and today took the turbo down to the CHP’s Redwood City office for inspection.

I walked in and this huge CHP officer – at least 6-5, 250, was sitting behind the desk (aside: I was very happy to see this kind of physical capability in operation against the Bay Area’s bad guys).

As we’re walking to the parking lot, he glances at the ticket and says, “that’s too bad about the car,” meaning, it’s too bad that I had to drill the holes in the bumper of a turbo. I said, yes, it must be hard to deface such a beautiful car, but in this case, it didn’t happen, and I showed him the moweraxle license plate.

He had never seen one before, and kneeled down and tugged at it. He said it was “very sturdy” and “nifty.” What a nice officer. I asked him how many times we could play this game, where I take my front license plate off and then get a fixit ticket and then get it signed off, etc., and he said he thought it was 3 times, before I get a point on my license.

He further volunteered that all the CHP officers in the Bay Area had now been trained in the use of lidar, and that it was in operation on the major freeways. Further that, as many of you know, the front license plate it the primary reflective target, which is why the CHP it being more aggressive about these front license plate fixit tickets. He also said that lidar is less effective on dark colored cars, including my Atlas Grey.

I thanked him for this information, and then after pulling into a Sear’s parking lot, removed the entire mower axle assembly and put it in the trunk, replace the tow hook cap. I figure, if I’m stopped again for the absence of the plate, and can literally screw it back in while the officer is writing the citation so I can simultaneously have him inspect the vehicle and sign off on the fixit ticket.

It’s getting oppressive out here.

Sammy
Old 07-10-2007, 06:50 PM
MMD
Banned

I hate hearing these stories. Must be because if the Cops only knew [what I've done] they'd revoke my license and throw me in jail.

Yes front plate is main reflective surface for laser; front plate law will _never_ be changed in any state except to require a front plate if not already required..

Not _sure_ about this but I think there's a new generation of laser guns which work handily from inside the cop's car.

Damn @#$%!* laser. Gotta get a jammer or "shifter."

BTW, you can drill holes _UP_ under the bumper to get a bracket fixed to car. No need to drill holes that can be _seen_.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Thanks Sammyh. The plate show on their web site looks more square than rectangular. As if a CA plate would not fit well. I take it yours fits fine. I suppose tow hook threads are standard and this would also fit a 993?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Sammyh
Intermediate

the CA plate fits fine, no problem at all. And with the new offset hole, the plate is closer to the center, but still to the left. Some people dislike the asymmetry; but I think it looks cool. Almost makes me want to keep the plate on. . .

Sam
Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Papa
Intermediate

Thank God, Florida has no front license plate and my car is basalt black. Many years ago (1975-1988) when we lived in California, they didn't bother to enforce the front plate law unless you gave them a hard time. I also believe they required a judge to certify a dangerous area to run radar.

Papa
2007 Turbo 911 with the $900+ phone option that isn't worth 10 cents but otherwise a really great car. Had 2006 Carrera S but it wasn't in the same league (my 35 yr old son has it now)
Old 07-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Just ordered mine. Thanks for the lead, Sammyh.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 PM
donsacto
Racer

OT: How do the Vette guys get away with no front plates? I've never seen a Vette with a front license plate here in Cali.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by donsacto
OT: How do the Vette guys get away with no front plates? I've never seen a Vette with a front license plate here in Cali.
Actually, for the Z06 ( I am in California) I use this product from Top Flight Reproductions which works very well:

I am in communication with the guys at Top Flight to determine if they will be coming out with a bracket mount for the 997TT. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:22 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Actually, for the Z06 ( I am in California) I use this product from Top Flight Reproductions which works very well:

I am in communication with the guys at Top Flight to determine if they will be coming out with a bracket mount for the 997TT. I'll keep you all posted.
Looks like this could disrupt airflow to the 3rd radiator (for those equipped with it).
Old 07-10-2007, 11:28 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Looks like this could disrupt airflow to the 3rd radiator (for those equipped with it).
Perhaps.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:13 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

That shouldn't disrupt rad intake cooling, it's not large enough.
Here in New Mexico we also enjoy the lack of the front tag.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:15 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Perhaps.
No way. The cooling system is incredible in these cars. Maybe you've noticed you can run your AC full blast on the hottest days, in a traffic jam and nothing budges. Oh..., it would be smart to mount the plate a few inches out and away from the opening.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:30 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

There is absolutely no purpose for a front plate other than being a target for radar/lidar guns.

On second thought, there are also no reason for a rear plate either, the purpose for plates is for cops to check ID on cars without stopping.

Some people argued that the plates is good for IDing your OWN car but really, if I parked my car in a parking lot and then forgot where I parked and need to check plate numbers to find my OWN car, I should not even be driving period.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:06 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
There is absolutely no purpose for a front plate other than being a target for radar/lidar guns.

I dunno... . When driving at night cop can read your front plate as he's coming in the opposite direction. That's a good justification for the Front plate: finding stolen or criminal cars.

Probably not too far down the Artificial Intelligence line: cops having plate-reading digital cameras so they don't have to "remember" plate numbers.

BTW, I would loooove to get a ___COUNTERFEIT___ my own plate: one that has very little reflectivity!!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:18 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I think I would want the cops to be able to ID my car if it was stolen, so I don't have a problem with plates.

Quick Reply: CHP, Lidar, and front license plate