997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997TT Tail Wagger

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007 | 07:43 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

The Turbo they reviewed did it have LSD? Would that have made a large difference? Still a noob on the Turbo Give me a month or two and I won't sound so green
Old 07-11-2007 | 06:01 AM
franki68
Track Day

Some perspective here...when the 997tt came out I did not see one roadtest where they found this problem.Furthermore here in the UK both autocar and Evo had the 997 tt breaking their lap records for normal production cars...so how come all of a sudden we have snap oversteer problems ?
The biggest problem for me is how damn fast you enter a corner and modulating the throttle with the tubo.
Old 07-11-2007 | 06:20 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

They are all getting paid by Audi to trash the TT and promote th R8? Or last year was the good batch of drivers and now the weaker ones are finally getting their chance to drive one? Or the planted tail only has a shelf life of 1 year and it's expiring? lol.
Old 07-11-2007 | 11:38 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Yeah, it is kind of interesting how most of the articles early on talked about how easy it was to drive fast, it's boring, not exciting enough etc. Now, it's a tail wagging fright show!! LOL!
Old 07-11-2007 | 01:38 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is from the GT3 subforum on a GT Porsche mag article:

VERY comprehensive test between a C2S with powerkit, a 997 TT, 997 GT3 and a 997RS

a long list of accelleration tests, from zero, and in every gear etc, shows the RS to be 0.1 seconds faster than the GT3 in all cases, and the TT to be upto 2 seconds quicker than the RS in most cases.

Lap times of Bedford West circuit were :

C2S 1:06:09
GT3 1:04:02
TT 1:04:02
RS 1:03:40

The extra speed of the RS over the GT3 was out of the corners where they felt the extra traction of the rear end help on the RS, they tried the same speed (85mph) in one particular corner in a GT3 and it oversteered bigtime.

Bottom line, the editor would still take home a GT3 with PCCB, as he would rather save the extra £14k......i can appreciate that for such similar performance.

The best review i've read in this mag for a long time....

G.
Old 07-11-2007 | 03:23 PM
texas911
Race Car

The Euro GT3RS is also a lot lighter than the Euro GT3. US RS's don't get all the goodies.
Old 07-13-2007 | 06:04 AM
gradyex
Racer

My turbo was delivered but not aligned properly. I took it back right away to have it aligned and the car felt better but still the steering got light and squrmy when the car hit triple digits. Took it back to the dealership for another adjustment and a little more "toe" in the rear. Now the car is much better so have your car checked if you suspect the car is not perfect. This is crucial especially in an AWD sports car. By the way Porsche will cover the costs up untill 2000 miles, then your on your own.
Old 07-13-2007 | 10:15 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gradyex
My turbo was delivered but not aligned properly. I took it back right away to have it aligned and the car felt better but still the steering got light and squrmy when the car hit triple digits. Took it back to the dealership for another adjustment and a little more "toe" in the rear. Now the car is much better so have your car checked if you suspect the car is not perfect. This is crucial especially in an AWD sports car. By the way Porsche will cover the costs up untill 2000 miles, then your on your own.
Is the 2,000 mile alignment period written somewhere and is there a time period too? I want to be armed when I go to the dealer and ask for this. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2007 | 05:17 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

My service guy told me it's actually 3 mos or 3000 miles, covers alignment and wheel balance.
Old 07-14-2007 | 07:13 AM
gradyex
Racer

Another thing that might be contributing to this are my Bridgestones. My 997S had the Michelins and time will tell if the culprit is the tire manufacturer? No way am I replacing these rubbers with anything but Michelins! Much better road feel from the PS2's IMO.
Old 07-14-2007 | 12:41 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

I saw your printout Gradyex - I will show this to the alignment guy at the dealership when it arrives next week. I am also lowering it but I think I will take it to my guy who has done all my suspension work and coilovers for the BMW M cars. He works on Ferrari and BMW track cars as well. So I will leave it in his hands.

I will also try to request that I get a set of Michelins instead of Bridestones if they have a set on another car. Never hurts to ask!!

Gradyex - have you thought about lowering your car or your area would not be ideal for a lowered car due to inclines and what nots.
Old 07-14-2007 | 01:03 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I wouldn't switch out the tires, just wait till it's time for a new set and get the PS2s.
Old 07-15-2007 | 04:28 AM
gradyex
Racer

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
I saw your printout Gradyex - I will show this to the alignment guy at the dealership when it arrives next week. I am also lowering it but I think I will take it to my guy who has done all my suspension work and coilovers for the BMW M cars. He works on Ferrari and BMW track cars as well. So I will leave it in his hands.

I will also try to request that I get a set of Michelins instead of Bridestones if they have a set on another car. Never hurts to ask!!

Gradyex - have you thought about lowering your car or your area would not be ideal for a lowered car due to inclines and what nots.

Thanks, I appreciate any imput i can get. My feeling is the car is aligned fine now so some of my issues are taken care of. I think the car would definitly improve dropping it a bit unfortunately its not an option for me with my current driveway. Of course it would be nice if Porsche would step up to the plate and address some of our concerns. Lets wait and see what happens.

Quick Reply: 997TT Tail Wagger