Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another future TT owner - paid my deposit today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:47 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill McNeal
I heard Oregon has no sales tax on cars, so you save $11,000 if you buy in Oregon instead of California. Could you just keep Oregon tags on your car?
If only life were that easy....

I don't have an Oregon address. And, California does not like it, not one bit, when people who live in state, reg cars out of state..

B
Old 06-29-2007, 01:19 AM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
The short shifter is not stiff or notchy at all, it's perfect.
You had to go and say that now didn't cha? - It slipped my mind when I placed the order and thought about it 3 days before it was completed. Oh well what SSK would you recommend?

Or should I just stick with the standard and see how it suits me first?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2007, 01:22 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

B-line I agree with the basics after buying mine, if I ordered I would have spent more for sure. A friend wanted to back out of his 07 which was already on the boat, he new I was in the market so I went to look at it before wash/pdi and feel in love for sure.
I only had a two week wait, got a brand new 07 with 6 miles that never hit the show room or sat on the lot.

Meteor gray/blk, sport chrono, 6spd, lsd, thicker wheel, supple leather, cd changer, fire ext., thats it. The car looks very high end and I'm stopped all the time for looks.

Don't get me wrong, int. options are great and make for a killer interior when done right, I'm just very happy with mine as is. Now I can justify my reflash/tune....
Old 06-29-2007, 11:21 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
You had to go and say that now didn't cha? - It slipped my mind when I placed the order and thought about it 3 days before it was completed. Oh well what SSK would you recommend?

Or should I just stick with the standard and see how it suits me first?

Thanks
I would go with the OEM SSK, although the B&M is also very good. But absolutely try the standard shifter first, you may like it.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 341 Posts

Of course the stock interior does not look bad. However, if you are ordering the car, have a few more $$ to spend I would strongly suggest adding some of the extra leather goodies. It takes the interior to a whooooole 'nother level. The interior is one of my favorite things about my car.

Shot with NIKON D100 at 2007-06-29

Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL at 2007-06-29
Old 06-29-2007, 12:20 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PbPedis
I wonder why so many people hate the "wart". I quite like it. Glad you decided to go with the sport chrono.

BTW Soulteacher, I love your avatar. Do you happen to have a hi-res version of it?
totally agree. it has a beautifully finished face. they should have set it up to perform as a clock when it wasn't being used as a stopwatch (which is never after the first time).

they should have made it detachable and an automatic as well. that way you could snap it onto a wristband, wear it, then snap it into the dash and use it as a stopwatch. heck, they should have incorporated chronograph markings on it as well.

I'd love to see car clocks reach the same level of craft as wristwatches.
Attached Images   
Old 06-29-2007, 04:01 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Oops... Read below..
Old 06-29-2007, 04:02 PM
B-Line
Drifting

If were going to talk about the "Wart" (which I kind of like the way it looks.)
I think we need to discuss what Porsche REALLY did wrong.

I have tried to use the sport/chrono timer on the track to time my laps.. And I've never got it to work right, not once.
Just trying to remember to hit the stalk at the start/finish line is totally unrealistic while spirited driving. Especially during warm up, when it marks the track length.

What Porsche "SHOULD HAVE DONE" is stored, in the trunk, an IR beacon/transmitter - that could be placed outside the car, on the start finish line. And then also included an IR sensor/receiver, that connects to the chrono and is intergrated into the windshield/Pillar.
Sort of like this system:
http://www.aimsports.com/products/tg/index.html

It would probably have been much cheaper than the chrono lap timer, that takes a german engineering degree to figure out how to use. And much more useful.. I don't even bother with the lap timer anymore. They should have just kept it simple..

B
Old 06-29-2007, 04:23 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
If were going to talk about the "Wart" (which I kind of like the way it looks.)
I think we need to discuss what Porsche REALLY did wrong.

I have tried to use the sport/chrono timer on the track to time my laps.. And I've never got it to work right, not once.
Just trying to remember to hit the stalk at the start/finish line is totally unrealistic while spirited driving. Especially during warm up, when it marks the track length.

What Porsche "SHOULD HAVE DONE" is stored, in the trunk, an IR beacon/transmitter - that could be placed outside the car, on the start finish line. And then also included an IR sensor/receiver, that connects to the chrono and is intergrated into the windshield/Pillar.
Sort of like this system:
http://www.aimsports.com/products/tg/index.html

It would probably have been much cheaper than the chrono lap timer, that takes a german engineering degree to figure out how to use. And much more useful.. I don't even bother with the lap timer anymore. They should have just kept it simple..

B
good point. if the car has nav they probably could have set it up to allow you to establish a nav waypoint at the start/finish as well. don't know if that's accurate enough though.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Default The color decision...

Just as an update: I drove to Park Place Porsche in Dallas this morning and checked out the color Atlas Grey, which had been a front runner among my alternatives. I think it's the most gorgeous color in the shade and under an overcast sky, but I did not like it very much in bright direct sunlight - it was way too blue-ish for my taste, much more than I had anticipated. And again, that's just my personal preference. So it's down to black or basalt, but I'm 85 percent sure that it will be flat black. Maybe I'll give extra credit to my students if they wash my car... with 100+ students each semester, I can get it cleaned every other day!

In other news: in downtown Dallas, there was a chick standing in the center of the interstate HOV lane, with her pants fully down, PEEING! Traffic had slowed down almost to a standstill and I was in the lane right next to her; at first I thought she was mooning us, but then I saw all the grisly details (in the act, four feet away!)... it was surreal. A little bit farther down, a cop had stopped and was on his way walking to her... good luck, my friend.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:20 PM

Soulteacher:

Congrats on your upcoming new turbo ; the massive torque will be so addictive and is one of the things I miss most. I think one of the nicest colors out there albeit an expensive one, is Slate Gray. Someone recently posted pics of their new slate turbo... simply gorgeous.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:39 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 500
Soulteacher:

Congrats on your upcoming new turbo ; the massive torque will be so addictive and is one of the things I miss most. I think one of the nicest colors out there albeit an expensive one, is Slate Gray. Someone recently posted pics of their new slate turbo... simply gorgeous.
I know i'm loving my new slate
Old 06-30-2007, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by E55AMG
I know i'm loving my new slate
Hey there E55; I think it may have been you that posted the great pics...how about another one here.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:28 AM
eaglejackson
Track Day

Here are a few pics of my slate gray. The power of the car is totally addictive.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:29 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 500
Hey there E55; I think it may have been you that posted the great pics...how about another one here.
Actually just took some new ones the other day - hope you like them, still trying to learn my way around a camera!! LOL!

Quick Reply: Another future TT owner - paid my deposit today!