Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another future TT owner - paid my deposit today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:23 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:37 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Color, Black is good, I wouldn't pay extra for any of the special colors. Case in point, my Meteor Gray is much darker in person than any pics online ever indicated. You would have to have Slate right beside to tell any difference.
Get a dark interior, classic black, Sea Blue , or Cocoa (love it).
I never considered a tip, get one if you must, my 6 speed in flawless in traffic.
SC, at first I thought it was a gimmick, now I take that statement back. It is noticable. But the wart is an eyesore, I wish they had integrated it into the dash better. Oh well...
Consider door finishers in leather and perhaps the console lid with "Turbo". Those are nice touches.
And congrats on the Turbo! Get ready for the GT1 derived power!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM
ArsenalSC
3rd Gear

Default Me Too!!

I placed my deposit a couple weeks ago for a '08 TT as well.

I originally had basalt/cocoa but wife had me rethink the black since we plan on keeping it for a very long time. She's partial to silver so I changed to GT silver/cocoa. Options list as:

Gt-Silver/Cocoa
Sports Chrono
Axel-Diff lock
Adaptive Sports Seat
Extended Nav
Thicker Steering Wheel
Sport Shifter
Shifter and Hand Brake Lever Aluminum
Rear Center Console Aluminum

There are three options that I'm flip flopping over and those are heated or not heated seats, the sport shifter and the external antenna (I kind of like that rally car look). Anyone have thoughts on these?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
If I were buying a SUV, I think the multi function steering wheel would be a great idea but in a 911, you sit so close to the radio, nav controls, I don't quite understand why someone would need it.
B

but it has been my recent experience in the other 2 vehicles that eyes on the road and hands on the wheel works better.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:19 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArsenalSC

I originally had basalt/cocoa but wife had me rethink the black since we plan on keeping it for a very long time. She's partial to silver so I changed to GT silver/cocoa. Options list as:

Gt-Silver/Cocoa
Sports Chrono
Axel-Diff lock
Adaptive Sports Seat
Extended Nav
Thicker Steering Wheel
Sport Shifter
Shifter and Hand Brake Lever Aluminum
Rear Center Console Aluminum

There are three options that I'm flip flopping over and those are heated or not heated seats, the sport shifter and the external antenna (I kind of like that rally car look). Anyone have thoughts on these?
Heated seats if you're up north, down here in Texas I think they aren't worth it.
Sport shifter is awesome, feels perfect.
I think extended nav is now standard.
You'll love the cocoa!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Everyone (all y'all), THANKS SO MUCH for all the comments and recommendations! Awesome, awesome, Rennlist always comes through!

And thanks for welcoming me!!!

I have narrowed down the colors to Black or Atlas. I'm going to drive to Dallas this weekend to see an Atlas 997. Then I will make my final decision. Interior will be either black or stone, not sand anymore. Thanks for those comments! By the way, my dealer checked the PCNA system and said there are only 10 Atlas 997 TT in the whole U.S. (both existing and ordered) - may not be the preferred color of Turbo buyers. It seems beautiful, though, no doubt.

Sport chrono is a given now. With regard to Tip, I can see the resale problem once PDK is out, so I may actually go with stick for now and then get a PDK some time in the future. And, yes, I'll add some of the little leather things and stuff...

Thanks so much again! I'm also building a new home, so it's going to be a crazy 6-15 months...

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
BTW, love LA, my Dad's still in Pineville get down there whenever I can.
Once my TT is here, you have to visit me!
Originally Posted by PbPedis
Soulteacher, I love your avatar. Do you happen to have a hi-res version of it?
Sorry, not really. I downloaded it from http://www.autobild.de/geld/autokauf...tikel_id=12887. If you go to that site and click on '47 Bilder' below the photo at the top, a new window opens with a bunch of pics - my avatar is No. 2 - that's the largest size I have come across.
Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Welcome aboard! And if you do get a manual tranny, be sure to get the LD option.
Thanks! Okay, I think I'm stupid here: what's the LD option? [Update: Okay, got it figured out: locking diffs.]
Originally Posted by ArsenalSC
Welcome and congratulations! Our babies may end up being on the same boat. If up north, I would get the heated seats. But I would not get the antenna. Too few people like it, so it would hurt resale.

Last edited by Soulteacher; 06-29-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Soulteacher,
I hope you are working with the Moffit group everyone up there was great especially Susan and Billy. I picked up my GT Silver w/ black 2007 TT back in November and I also had alot of questions. I did go with the thicker multifunction wheel and adapt sport seats, SC, Locking Diffs, heated seats, added short shifter, Evo Headers, Fabspeed exhaust and Champion RG5 wheels. Please feel free to contact me with any questions
Max
Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts

a note on interior upgrades...

The only interior upgrade my car has is the Porsche Crest Headrests. When I was thinking about ordering the car, I was trying to rack my brain on which options to add. I configured the car over and over on the Pcar website. - I had a list of options that I was going to add AND it was LONG..

Then I got a call from a dealer who knew I was looking for a 997 TT. (Remember, this was back, last August, when everyone was looking for one..) And even though there were some options I might have liked to have ordered, finding a car and not waiting another 6-8 months was the clencher. None of the options the car "did not have" were a deal breaker.

So I went, picked up the car with my brother. (We live in LA and bought the car in Oregon.)
When I got to the dealership and sat in the car, (with virtually no cosmetic interior upgrades..)
I laughed. I laughed because the interior was sooooooooo beautiful in stock form, there was no need to spend the thousands on the aluminum or extra leather this, or stitching that.
-- The stock interior is nothing less than sensational.. So save your money and use it on something else, like the $10,000 in taxes your going to pay when you register the car. Or new wheels if you don't like the stocks (which I do..)

I do not miss not having Limited Slip.. It's an AWD car, it's a redundant system. I track my car and have never needed it or missed having it.
I do not miss not having PCCB (ceramic brakes.) This car stops on a dime with stock brakes and I track my vehicle.. I Have never experienced any fade after long laps in the hot desert. PCCB is completely unneccessary. And who wants to have a $20,000 brake job in a few years?

Again, I was really concerned that not having the interior mods, the car was going to look plain and boring. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Don't beat your head trying to figure out what interior mods to add. The car looks "tight" without any add-ons..

I do recommend the short shift kit if it's still available. And I wish we had Sirius radio. And yes, again, I LOVE my thicker steering wheel. The multi function feels a little cheap and plastic to me.

These pictures are of my stock interior.. You don't need to dress up a prom queen. She looks a million bucks, Au Natural !!!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

And I wish we had Sirius radio.
That's is very do-able in the TT I just had it done, the hard part was getting my hands on the Sirius module.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Max Energy
I hope you are working with the Moffitt group everyone up there was great especially Susan and Billy.
Max, yes, they are excellent. Susan set me up with a dealership in Dallas so that I can take a look at an Atlas TT tomorrow. Billy's daughter was my student, which facilitated the initial contact. It's a neat and relatively small dealership, at least as far as Porsches are concerned. I'm down south once in a while, I'll let you know the next time I go (after I get my TT ).
These pictures are of my stock interior.. You don't need to dress up a prom queen. She looks a million bucks
GREAT pictures, thanks! Looks awesome!
Old 06-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

B-Line, I love that thicker wheel. Dealer just told me it would be another $930 - on top of the $250 for the multi-function. Now we are at a pair of rear Michelin PS2!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
B-Line, I love that thicker wheel. Dealer just told me it would be another $930 - on top of the $250 for the multi-function.
Terry, I'm pretty sure the one in the pictures is the XPA, which runs at $310 (the one you are talking about is the CPA, which also requires options 431 or 450).
Old 06-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Bill McNeal
3rd Gear

So I went, picked up the car with my brother. (We live in LA and bought the car in Oregon.)

.. So save your money and use it on something else, like the $10,000 in taxes your going to pay when you register the car.
I heard Oregon has no sales tax on cars, so you save $11,000 if you buy in Oregon instead of California. Could you just keep Oregon tags on your car?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:25 AM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Sounds like you got yourself a winnner. Drive it in good health.

I didn't see the short shifter option on my order but I found out yesterday after getting my VIN that I could have asked and it would have been a custom order and could have been included in my build. OH well I can always do the SSK afterwards - it isn't that much more. I will have to see if I even need to. Some say it's very stiff/notchy even after it warms up and worn in.

I kept my options to a minimum because I couldn't justify leathers bits and pieces that I wouldn't even notice.

There are a few cars that came about during my wait and they would have been a good deal since I don't have to pay sales tax in Georgia buying from any private buyer in the US. There was a black one retail 141K and he is willing to take $125K for it now. Has PCCB's etc. pretty well appointed but I wasn't really set on Black( I am lazy and it takes more effort than I am willing to give to upkeep them) - I would have been a smarter dollar choice but it wouldn't be the car that I REALLY wanted. So I ordered one.

These cars are so individualized that a lot of people are skipping over the used market to get EXACTLY what they want for 5-10K more. In a couple of years I am sure potential pre-owned buyers will not be as demanding/picky.

Cheers!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:44 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The short shifter is not stiff or notchy at all, it's perfect.

Quick Reply: Another future TT owner - paid my deposit today!