Sponsored by:

tech question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:47 PM
brownie61
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tech question

Yesterday I began getting an error message reading "Failure of Engine Comp. Blower". Presumably the Comp. refers to Compartment. The error message will pop up for a minute or two and then go off. Water temperature stays locked at 175 degrees. I wasn't driving it particularly hard when it started although it is close to 100 degrees outside. Faulty sensor perhaps? Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:17 AM
FSU-997TT
3rd Gear

Yes I have about two months ago.....the first time was already at the dealers service department while chatting about A/C system. Dealer replaced the fan, which I thought solved the problem, but last week same error came back. I was advised n another forum to have the thermostat replaced that controls this fan. Does seem to be inconsistant, comes on one day, then not again for another few days. Hopefully the thermostat is the problem......
Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 PM
brownie61
Intermediate

For those of you that might encounter the same problem --- finally got my car back from the dealer. There were two blown fuses and after checking with P-Tec in Germany they replaced the fan and replaced the faulty 7 amp and 3.5 amp fuses. Apparently there was a production problem at the factory and this is not the first time they (P-Tec) have seen this problem.

On the bright side I had the short shift kit installed. When I spec'd the car in October the dealer said that they were not offering the kit due to customer complaints (!). As others have said this is how the car should have been outfitted in the first place. Big difference, highly recommended.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:30 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brownie61
For those of you that might encounter the same problem --- finally got my car back from the dealer. There were two blown fuses and after checking with P-Tec in Germany they replaced the fan and replaced the faulty 7 amp and 3.5 amp fuses. Apparently there was a production problem at the factory and this is not the first time they (P-Tec) have seen this problem.

On the bright side I had the short shift kit installed. When I spec'd the car in October the dealer said that they were not offering the kit due to customer complaints (!). As others have said this is how the car should have been outfitted in the first place. Big difference, highly recommended.
My 997TT was one of the first delivered in the U.S. (June 2006) and it came with the Sport (short) shifter - no problems at all and smooth as glass...I agree, a good thing to have on your car...
Old 07-04-2007, 02:59 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Is this an early production problem that has been cured or should all my07 owners look into this?
Old 07-04-2007, 09:13 AM
brownie61
Intermediate

Originally Posted by whyb2nd
Is this an early production problem that has been cured or should all my07 owners look into this?
Not sure...I'm guessing that it has been cured since the guys in Germany had familiarity with the problem. My car was a January delivery.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

they replaced the fan and replaced the faulty 7 amp and 3.5 amp fuses. Apparently there was a production problem at the factory and this is not the first time they (P-Tec) have seen this problem.
I've received the "Failure of engine comp. blower" error message a couple of times, including yesterday. I was going to post a new thread, but did a quick search, and found this thread. Any update on this? Where are the fuses mentioned above, in the fuse box or the engine compartment (ie, is this something I can easily do myself).

I recently reacquired my old 08 Targa, and the couple of times I've been in Chicago Rush Hour stop and go traffic in 90 plus degrees, this light has come on. Yesterday, I was driving on the freeway, not really stop and go, but was in first gear for about 6 miles (fortunately, my commute only involves 6 miles on the freeway). I had the targa top / windows down and the A/C off. When the light came on, the oil temp was just a hair below 225 (which is pretty normal for stop and go traffic) and the idiot needle on the water temp was stuck at 175 (which means absolutely nothing, which really irks me, but that's for another day/thread). The outside temp was just about 91 degrees.

The last time this happened, I had the A/C on until I noticed the oil temp was above 225, so I turned off A/C lowered top/windows. This helped the oil temp, but later, the warning light came on. I was a little surprised I got the warning yesterday without the oil temp getting well above normal.

When this happens, , I raised the spoiler, as I thought I read somewhere that the spoiler would raise when the water temp got too high, so I thought it might help. When the light turned off after a minute or so, I assumed this was helping, but after seeing this thread, it may not be doing anything. Any thoughts on whether that helps or just makes me feel better?

I guess I should take it in and get it looked at regardless.

On the bright side I had the short shift kit installed. When I spec'd the car in October the dealer said that they were not offering the kit due to customer complaints (!).
I was told the same thing when I ordered the Targa.

After driving the RS for a couple of years, the gearshift in the Targa feels like a bowl of oatmeal. I need to do something, but I haven't figured out what just yet.
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Great to hear. I just picked one up from a Rennlisters and need to St it installed. Labour cost to install?

Quick Reply: tech question