997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out goes GT3, want a 997TT - crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007 | 09:48 PM
dmc90025
Instructor

Default Out goes GT3, want a 997TT - crazy?

My GT3 was off the hook fun. Sadly I loved it to death, ie too many miles of fun, for what essentially is viewed as a track car, no matter if you drive it daily, as I did. Of course my lower back became very sore.

Word out is the 997TT is substantially better than the 996TT, in terms of over all driving experience, so you can get some of the raw driving experience like the GT3. The 997 TT's sport and other suspension setting buttons seems to address the need to feel the road, not to mention the kick of additional footpounds of torque.

The TT historically seems to be able to handle the mileage without giving the owner a considerable haircut in resale value too. Therefore I can hold on to the car for a longer period of time, my preference.
Old 05-18-2007 | 11:16 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Have you driven a 997 GT3? They are softer than the 996GT3 and might make sense...

On the TT side, I would recommend that 997 over the 996. It also depends on how you define the word "some" with regard to raw driving experience...

Good luck!
-B
Old 05-19-2007 | 12:07 AM
gradyex
Racer

I hope your correct about the resale statement but I think its the other way around. The GT3 should be more exclusive I would think, but only time will tell. The 997 turbo ride is firm but nowhere near as soft as a Mercedes or BMW. Its still a sports car but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE ADAPTIVE SEATS! If you go the GT3 route you should be able to order your car with the adaptives too and they make a difference (I know I had 2 back surgeries). The adaptives are the BEST seats I have ever come to know in an automobile and they can be adjusted in just about any position conceivable. The 997 Turbo is comfortable but the ride is firm even in the normal setting. Coming from an older GT3 I would try out the 997 GT3 also. Its rumored to be more livable? Regardless test drive both because the only simularities between the 2 is the shape of the car. Two very different cars.
Old 05-19-2007 | 12:11 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Sounds like you're ready for a change, dare I say an upgrade, to a 997 Turbo. Go for it!
Old 05-19-2007 | 12:34 AM
Dan993
Instructor

I have had my 997TT for a little over a month now. My daily driver is an RS4 (although I have not driven it much lately) and I also have a 993TT. The 997TT is a great car, no doubt. It is not all that harsh, unless you enable the Sport suspension. Then it becomes downright stiff. The 997TT is really two cars in one. It can be easy to drive in daily traffic (I drive the 605 fwy in SoCal every day), yet a bit of pedal and it becomes aggressive and very fun. I never owned a 996 so i can not draw comparison. But I can endorse the upgrade to the 997TT for a daily driver. All the comforts, plus...

If you do it, you must order the PCCB. I am in the performance brake business and I can vouch for this system. The best!
Old 05-19-2007 | 02:30 AM
JustinTay
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmc90025
My GT3 was off the hook fun. Sadly I loved it to death, ie too many miles of fun, for what essentially is viewed as a track car, no matter if you drive it daily, as I did. Of course my lower back became very sore.

Word out is the 997TT is substantially better than the 996TT, in terms of over all driving experience, so you can get some of the raw driving experience like the GT3. The 997 TT's sport and other suspension setting buttons seems to address the need to feel the road, not to mention the kick of additional footpounds of torque.

The TT historically seems to be able to handle the mileage without giving the owner a considerable haircut in resale value too. Therefore I can hold on to the car for a longer period of time, my preference.
I had 2 996 GT3s...flipped one and bought myself another one...traded the GT3 in and just collected my turbo a few days back..

got to admit i was pretty disappointed with the turbo as i expected it to handle alot better...hoping that with the press of the pasm button(suspension) will make it handle better i was wrong...from my point of view...i feel that all the pasm does is stiffen the ride..it just eliminates the bodyroll in corners and makes the car uncomfortable on bumpy roads...tried taking corners with pasm on..and u can feel the rear of the car pushing outwards with a bit of jerking as you're going round the corner..unlike the gt3 which will take the corner smoothly and without any body roll...the gt3 suspension compared to the 997 turbo(with pasm on) is so much more comfortable.

but after taking the corner and you floor the 997 turbo...that is where the magic begins...u get pinned down to the seat and the car flies! within a few secs i was doing 150km/h..the power is undescribable...

theres still this voice at the back of my head though thats say maybe i should have gone for the 997 GT3

Last edited by JustinTay; 05-19-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2007 | 12:25 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

If you want a more track oriented 911 with the power of a turbo, then the GT2 is the only choice. The TT is as fast or faster around the track than any GT3 variant, all things being equal (tires,drivers...). Soon there should be viable options for track style suspension upgrades to the turbo, both aftermarket and OEM hopefully. It will be interesting to see how the PASM friendly PSS9 setup performs.
Old 05-19-2007 | 01:17 PM
dmc90025
Instructor

Originally Posted by gradyex
I hope your correct about the resale statement but I think its the other way around. The GT3 should be more exclusive I would think, but only time will tell. The 997 turbo ride is firm but nowhere near as soft as a Mercedes or BMW. Its still a sports car but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE ADAPTIVE SEATS! If you go the GT3 route you should be able to order your car with the adaptives too and they make a difference (I know I had 2 back surgeries). The adaptives are the BEST seats I have ever come to know in an automobile and they can be adjusted in just about any position conceivable. The 997 Turbo is comfortable but the ride is firm even in the normal setting. Coming from an older GT3 I would try out the 997 GT3 also. Its rumored to be more livable? Regardless test drive both because the only simularities between the 2 is the shape of the car. Two very different cars.
Now if I go with what my dealer guys tell me, the 997 GT3 for purposes of high mileage, will be treated much like my beloved 996 GT3, you get hosed if you put on that steady 12-15,000 miles per year (I love to drive, yes even in LA). The TT on the other hand, produced in much larger quantities (as is the 997 GT3 over the 996 GT3), is less sensitive to high mileage. It seems logical that I can hang on to a TT for 3ish years before turning it over. The GT3, not even 2!

Definately going after the adaptive seats, no doubt! Interesting comments about regarding the difference between the GT3 and TT when turning in on a corner. I am a cornering fool and love to execute that as skillfully as possible. Raw acceleration at the exit is boss, however the GT3 has abundant power in my view which may just keep you out of Johnny Law's view.
Old 05-19-2007 | 01:24 PM
dmc90025
Instructor

Originally Posted by JustinTay
I had 2 996 GT3s...flipped one and bought myself another one...traded the GT3 in and just collected my turbo a few days back..

got to admit i was pretty disappointed with the turbo as i expected it to handle alot better...hoping that with the press of the pasm button(suspension) will make it handle better i was wrong...from my point of view...i feel that all the pasm does is stiffen the ride..it just eliminates the bodyroll in corners and makes the car uncomfortable on bumpy roads...tried taking corners with pasm on..and u can feel the rear of the car pushing outwards with a bit of jerking as you're going round the corner..unlike the gt3 which will take the corner smoothly and without any body roll...the gt3 suspension compared to the 997 turbo(with pasm on) is so much more comfortable.

but after taking the corner and you floor the 997 turbo...that is where the magic begins...u get pinned down to the seat and the car flies! within a few secs i was doing 150km/h..the power is undescribable...

theres still this voice at the back of my head though thats say maybe i should have gone for the 997 GT3
Bummer about the flip. We have seen the 996 GT3's flip, and how fast they do! Glad you made it too. Thanks for your input. That new GT3 is boss. Just hate getting hosed on resale value for no good reason if the car is in top form.
Old 05-19-2007 | 11:05 PM
qirex
Racer

"flip" like quick re-sale for profit? or FLIP like CRASH!!
Old 05-20-2007 | 12:15 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Originally Posted by dmc90025

No doubt the 997tt is an excellent daily driver, probably even better than the GT3 but make sure you get the adaptive sport seats. I have no idea what the future resale of the 997tt will be, but owners of 996tts with mileage didn't get a haircut, they were skinned alive. My educated guess is that GT3s will hold their value better, or at the very least as good as, the 997tt. So drive what you like best. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2007 | 12:28 AM
JustinTay
Advanced

Originally Posted by qirex
"flip" like quick re-sale for profit? or FLIP like CRASH!!
Flip like this flip

Last edited by JustinTay; 05-21-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-20-2007 | 02:00 AM
Duane993
Racer

YIKES.. YOU WALKED AWAY FROM THAT????
Old 05-20-2007 | 02:20 AM
JustinTay
Advanced

Originally Posted by Duane993
YIKES.. YOU WALKED AWAY FROM THAT????
yup and my passenger
Old 05-21-2007 | 10:15 AM
dmc90025
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sharptt
No doubt the 997tt is an excellent daily driver, probably even better than the GT3 but make sure you get the adaptive sport seats. I have no idea what the future resale of the 997tt will be, but owners of 996tts with mileage didn't get a haircut, they were skinned alive. My educated guess is that GT3s will hold their value better, or at the very least as good as, the 997tt. So drive what you like best. Good luck.
Thanks. I have read the Brits position via PurePorscheGT they call them the "fat boy" seats...hmm, not exactly flattering.

Quick Reply: Out goes GT3, want a 997TT - crazy?