Sponsored by:

ECU and Exhaust for my 997 tt

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:25 PM
JustinTay
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default ECU and Exhaust for my 997 tt

just picked up my turbo a few days back so im still new...used to run the cargraphic ecu and exhaust on my 996 GT3...also had the Fabspeed by passpipes which were way too loud..downloaded both the AWE and Tubi clips but as with all videos you cant really tell how loud it is...

im looking for something slightly louder than the stock exhaust but not anywhere near the fabspeed by pass pipes...as this car will be driven daily and my mom will be using it once in a while as well..

been reading through the forum and realised most of you guys are running on the AWE system..any comments? or any other brands to recommend?

as for the ecu GIAC? anyone with problems? blown engines? or other related problems? what about DMS? will the dealer be able to tell that i've fiddled with the ecu if they hook it up to the dignostics program? as i dont want to have any issues with them voiding my warrenty

Last edited by JustinTay; 05-18-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustinTay
just picked up my turbo a few days back so im still new...used to run the cargraphic ecu and exhaust on my 996 GT3...also had the Fabspeed by passpipes which were way too loud..downloaded both the AWE and Tubi clips but as with all videos you cant really tell how loud it is...

im looking for something slightly louder than the stock exhaust but not anywhere near the fabspeed by pass pipes...as this car will be driven daily and my mom will be using it once in a while as well..

been reading through the forum and realised most of you guys are running on the AWE system..any comments? or any other brands to recommend?

as for the ecu GIAC? anyone with problems? blown engines? or other related problems? what about DMS? will the dealer be able to tell that i've fiddled with the ecu if they hook it up to the dignostics program? as i dont want to have any issues with them voiding my warrenty
Justin-

Congrats on the new car. I see you are in Singapore. I guess stopping by here for a test drive might be tough?

Here is my direct email.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Also, I handle all international shipments. I have streamlined the process so it's very easy for both parties.

-Mike
mike@awe-tuning.com
Old 05-18-2007, 04:38 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

I'll give you a synopsis of my experience with AWE/GIAC. Simply awesome.

I have no regrets whatsoever. I am a cheap bastard and have never paid more than $700 for an exhaust or $250 for ECU programming. I had a very hard time thinking that the ECU/exhaust could be worth >$7k on the TT but it has been some of the best money ever spent.

The ECU tuning gives up zero drivability. Zero. There is absolutely no discernable downside to the tuning. The car is as meek as a mouse if you want it to be, and psychotic as a meth freak when you punch the gas. There is no sputtering, no hesitation, no off-throttle maladies. It is simply as the car should have been done to begin with. Same for the exhaust. It is perhaps 20-25% louder than stock, with no droning. My wife still to this day has no idea that it is on the car. The characteristics of this luxo supercar have not been tarnished at all. I would have a hard time seeing anyone being less than 110% satisfied with the GIAC/AWE ecu + exhaust upgrade.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:26 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou

I have no regrets whatsoever. I am a cheap bastard and have never paid more than $700 for an exhaust or $250 for ECU programming. I had a very hard time thinking that the ECU/exhaust could be worth >$7k on the TT but it has been some of the best money ever spent.

The ECU tuning gives up zero drivability. Zero. There is absolutely no discernable downside to the tuning. The car is as meek as a mouse if you want it to be, and psychotic as a meth freak when you punch the gas. There is no sputtering, no hesitation, no off-throttle maladies. It is simply as the car should have been done to begin with. Same for the exhaust. It is perhaps 20-25% louder than stock, with no droning. My wife still to this day has no idea that it is on the car. The characteristics of this luxo supercar have not been tarnished at all. I would have a hard time seeing anyone being less than 110% satisfied with the GIAC/AWE ecu + exhaust upgrade.
Justin, I have the Protomotive ECU/ Cargraphic (loud version) combo and it is not for the faint of heart, let alone someone's mom. My car was tuned about 10k miles ago and no problems here either. Although Cargraphic is more expensive than most others, if you like it you might want to check the other more quiet versions they make for the TT.
As far as ECU, GIAC and Protomotive here in the US have been trouble free from what I have read. Regarding tuning detection, my attitude is that if you have to ask and you are concerned, then don't do it. I believe Porsche can detect anything if they want to, but this engine is strong and problems are unlikely, your choice.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:48 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Where did you have it done? Can you reset ECU to stock yourself or does the module have to go back? Can the PIWIS detect the ECU mods? Thanks.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:12 AM
JustinTay
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
Justin-

Congrats on the new car. I see you are in Singapore. I guess stopping by here for a test drive might be tough?

Here is my direct email.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Also, I handle all international shipments. I have streamlined the process so it's very easy for both parties.

-Mike
mike@awe-tuning.com
Mike,

just emailed ya
Old 05-19-2007, 08:14 AM
JustinTay
Advanced

eclou,

thanks...just emailed mike regarding the AWE exhaust..looks like im going for it thanks to you if you wife cant tell the difference guess that should be fine.. :P
Old 05-19-2007, 08:18 AM
JustinTay
Advanced

Originally Posted by AAH986
Justin, I have the Protomotive ECU/ Cargraphic (loud version) combo and it is not for the faint of heart, let alone someone's mom. My car was tuned about 10k miles ago and no problems here either. Although Cargraphic is more expensive than most others, if you like it you might want to check the other more quiet versions they make for the TT.
As far as ECU, GIAC and Protomotive here in the US have been trouble free from what I have read. Regarding tuning detection, my attitude is that if you have to ask and you are concerned, then don't do it. I believe Porsche can detect anything if they want to, but this engine is strong and problems are unlikely, your choice.
Hey AAH986,

were running the Cargraphic exhaust (loud version) on my GT3...i found them pretty alright...nothing close to the bypass pipes from fabspeed which were too loud..but dont think i want to risk it with the turbo...lol just incase they are too loud i dont want to be left with an extra system lying around...

as for the ECU i have yet to decide on GIAC Protomotive...having read much on the Protomotive ecu...guess its worth considering before i make a decision

once again thanks for your help
Old 05-19-2007, 10:39 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Where did you have it done? Can you reset ECU to stock yourself or does the module have to go back? Can the PIWIS detect the ECU mods? Thanks.
I did mine before the flash loader was available. I just sent it into AWE and they overnighted it back to me. I am going to get upgraded to the flash loader once they have a good program for the new VTG turbos. Might as well give yourself some options

Quick Reply: ECU and Exhaust for my 997 tt