Sponsored by:

Safety: M5 vs 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 07:11 AM
benfmd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety: M5 vs 997 Turbo

I am trying to convince myself that a 997 Turbo coupe is just as safe as an E60 BMW M5. I really want the 997 turbo. My main concern is that I will frequently be taking my two kids (5 and 7) in the car. Practicality of the cars is not an issue as the kids fit great in the 997, and are very comfortable. In fact they want daddy to get the "racing car" not the 4 door car.

My main reservation about the 997 is: Are the kids less safe in the back of the 997 in the event of a crash than they would be in the M5?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The Bimmer is probably going to be safer. It has more mass and probably has increased room for crumpling in the rear and possibly the sides as well. Does the 997 have side airbags for the rear? Does the Bimmer?

That said, I would still get the 997, because in the grand scheme of things, the safety of these two cars is close enough. I know some guys who still run trips on their motorcycles even though they have kids. A motorcycle is obviously more dangerous than a Buick, but you're also teaching your kids to not be afraid to live life.

I think your best approach to safety when driving your 997 is going to be confidence and intelligent driving. If this means doing an autocross and DE event to learn the car better, than so be it.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Also take note that Porsches are the safest sport cars you can buy. None of that fiberglass crap.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:59 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by benfmd
I am trying to convince myself that a 997 Turbo coupe is just as safe as an E60 BMW M5. I really want the 997 turbo. My main concern is that I will frequently be taking my two kids (5 and 7) in the car. Practicality of the cars is not an issue as the kids fit great in the 997, and are very comfortable. In fact they want daddy to get the "racing car" not the 4 door car.

My main reservation about the 997 is: Are the kids less safe in the back of the 997 in the event of a crash than they would be in the M5?

I have 3 year old twin boys and they love riding in the back of the TT with booster seats. I always try to be more careful and drive more safely when they are with me, even when both of them keep yelling "faster daddy".
Forget the M5, this is a different animal and you and your kids will love it.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happens when they get bigger? Great choices either way
Old 05-14-2007, 12:11 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

My bet is the rear of the tt is safer than the rear seat of the BMW. With the engine at the back, you have all that mass and structure behind the passengers, which should be protective in a hit from behind. The roof structure of the 997 at the rear also looks extremely safe fron a crush/rollover standpoint. The high front buckets make it unlikely that anybody will fly into the windshield with a frontal impact.
The biggest safety factor is the driver, and you seem like you are going to be safe with the kids in the car.
Lastly, just drove a new M5 (6 speed) at the track. I was amazed that the trans overheated in 3 hard laps with a huge warning display, and limp mode. Cooled off in 20 minutes but recurred next outing. I was underwhelmed by this version of the car which I felt didn't have great power, was too soft, and had massive intrusion of the ASC. It was a very nice highway car. It did not feel like 500 hp to me.
I haven't driven the paddle shift version.
But, cars are an emotional decision, much more than rational. Get what you want. AS
Old 05-14-2007, 01:30 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You question makes me wonder if one of these two choices are going to be your main mode of transpotation for you and your family.

If it is, pick the M5, you'll be thankful for the use of the extra doors.

If it is not and "only for weekend jaunts", the 997tt would be just as safe as a M5. But that's all relative to how you drive with your kids in the car.

If I remember correctly, Porsches have 3 point seat belts in the rear since the 964s. I can confirm that 993/996/997s has. However, small children will not fit properly with them. You may need to purchase a "positioner" that places the belts in the correct position on your children.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:33 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

I ride my 3 and 6 year old boys in the back of my 997tt. I went driving a few months ago in my friends M5...the 997tt is truly in another league. Go for the tt and you willl have no regrets.

Quick Reply: Safety: M5 vs 997 Turbo