Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got to see cobalt blue in person...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Finally got to see cobalt blue in person...

I was at the Short Hills Mall yesterday in North/Central NJ and finally had a chance to see a cobalt/sand beige car (it was a Cayman, not a 997). I got to the mall at about 4:30 and it was on display in an area where the ceiling was all skylighted. The car was a beautiful saturated blue.

I was meeting some friends from dinner and wanted to get their take on the color - so we walked through the mall after dinner - at about 7:30 or so. It was still somewhat light outside, but dusk was definitely approaching. To say that cobalt looks different under different lighting is an understatement. The car now looked more indigo than the saturated blue it had before. I agree with what everyone has said - photos cannot capture the complexity of the color.

In any case, I really liked the cobalt/sand combo. It would be my second choice behind midnight/sand, although it would be very close. I will, however, probably go with the cobalt over the midnight just for the sake of upkeep. The midnight seems like it will be a full time job to keep clean - I wanted to spend my weekends driving, not detailing.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:09 AM
strategydude
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the midnight/sand and was also considering the cobalt/sand. I don't find the midnight hard to keep clean at all ... but then again, I used to own a jet-black Z4 M. I guess it might be a bit harder than the cobalt, but I am really pleased with my purchase. Like the cobalt, the midnight is also a complex colour.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:09 AM
RSA333
Racer

I think the Cobalt Blue is a great color - was going for that before my dealer gave me GT Silver for free.

My problem with the Cobalt was that after seeing several cars with that color, the different body panels seem to lack uniformity of color. Unlike Guards Red or GT Silver, it seems to break the car up into different shades of blue under sunlight. I like Midnight Blue becasue they are more menacing...
Old 05-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

hmmm, you guys aren't helping me with my cobalt/midnight decision...
Old 05-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

....maybe I should just get silver/black.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:19 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Come on Doc...BLACK is the only way to go! Stop driving yourself nuts...BLACK BLACK BLACK
Old 05-08-2007, 06:01 PM
strategydude
AutoX

Black look awesome ... but it shows everything (dust, dings, water spots, stone chips, swirl marks...). I had a black car and when it's clean absolutely no other colour looks better. However, If you're very particular about having a clean looking car and don't have the patience to spend a lot of time on it, then I would seriously discourage you from getting black. Like I said, I have the midnight blue and love it ... still has the dark tone of black without all the labour associated with a black car. It's a tough personal decision in the end that you're going to need to make on your own. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:10 PM
photonscience
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Love my black turbo

but wife says that if I rubbed her as much as I rub the car, we wouldn't need a pool boy - strange 'cos we don't have a pool.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Well done Alan...laughed out loud at that one! Remember...resist the urge to sell...an Audi is no Porsche!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by photonscience
but wife says that if I rubbed her as much as I rub the car, we wouldn't need a pool boy - strange 'cos we don't have a pool.
i agree-that was a good one
Old 05-09-2007, 10:12 PM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

beautiful car
Old 05-16-2007, 11:17 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a good one lol! I agree on the Cobalt color. I saw one in person last month and love the way it looks in person (appeared more deeper blue than photos). Its amazing how certain colors don't photograph well. Cobalt Blue and GT Silver are 2 of them. If Cobalt is too vibrant of a color for you go with midnight. I like both of them myself but couldn't resist going from Arctic Silver to GT Silver (I'm a bit of a daredevil you know).

Quick Reply: Finally got to see cobalt blue in person...