Techart Springs & AWE Exhaust Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Techart Springs & AWE Exhaust Install

Hey all -

Just wanted to post some before, during and after shots of a recent install of Techart Sport Springs for PASM and AWE's exhaust setup for the 997TT. We're prepping this car in particular for a flight to the UK to compete in the Gumball Rally. We've also arranged for REVO Technik to Dyno tune the car on our behalf at their UK HQ. (We are the REVO dealer for San Diego and an authorized Techart service center).

As other's have already echoed, we too are very impressed with the Techart setup, a must have upgrade for this car IMO. The stance is now exactly as it should have been from Porsche to begin with. Big thumps up on the AWE exhaust as well, extremely high quality, flawless installation, deeper yet not intrusive sound, perfect for daily use.

Rgds,

Jordan
Attached Images            
Old 04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
dolt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice - any full car before and after side shots to compare the springs?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Default 997TT Before

Originally Posted by dolt
very nice - any full car before and after side shots to compare the springs?
This is the closest full side shot "before" you can clearly see the difference compared to the after shots outside.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2007, 06:55 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 577 Posts

Impressions on the new springs? Any sensation of dampener/spring mismatch?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Default Techart Springs

Originally Posted by eclou
Impressions on the new springs? Any sensation of dampener/spring mismatch?
We actually installed the first PASM compatible PSS9 setup from Bilstein on a 997S cab, and have also installed PASM compatible H&R springs.

Impressions of best setup in order.

1. Techart (by a significant margin). Perfectly matched to the PASM setup, ride height was lowered by approx. 1" at all four corners. After we properly aligned the car, the transformation was significant, much more surefooted yet no disernable compromise to ride quality in fact...better, a lot better, PASM damping unchanged. We love it.

2. PSS9's.....much better upgrade for previous gen non PASM cars but that's just my opinion.

3. H&R - these springs were clearly too short for this application, the car was too low and was actually scraping the front ducting. We were not happy with this setup at all and neither was our customer. Damper spring mismatch for sure in this case.

We install a ton of Bilstein and H&R (and of course Moton) on varying Porsche models for various applications (street, mild track and full race) and it's not our intention to knock either mftg, we've had very good success with both. This is just one example and impression with PASM and our unique experience only.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:11 PM
dolt
Instructor

I also agree that this is the ride height the car should come from the factory with - like the GT3 - I had heard elsewhere in the past that the european ride height is different but not sure if that is true or not
Old 04-03-2007, 09:02 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 577 Posts

Thanks for the excellent write-up. Can you tell us how adjustable the alignment settings are? I want to get more aggressive camber up front. I saw eccentric adjusting bolts in the rears.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:21 PM
dolt
Instructor

what would you say then that the negatives of the PSS9 system were in the 997, or at least where you thought that it came up short vs the techarts
Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
david1
Advanced

I'm expecting delivery of my TT in the next couple to three weeks and have asked my salesman to look into exhaust systems that the dealership could install without voiding the warranty. He's getting back to me later this week. How much is the AWE exhaust system and how much labor time is required to install?

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 PM
dolt
Instructor

I think for warranty, exhaust is not really a big concern - they of course would not cover the exhaust itself if there were problems with it, but to not cover other car problems they would have to prove the exhaust caused it and that would be a stretch at best - now doing a chip is a different story and depends on your dealer and your relationship with them
Old 04-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Default Seeking More Negative Camber

Originally Posted by eclou
Thanks for the excellent write-up. Can you tell us how adjustable the alignment settings are? I want to get more aggressive camber up front. I saw eccentric adjusting bolts in the rears.
I agree the stock setup does not allow for the kind of adjustment needed. To acheive your desired setup, there are a couple of options.

1. Change springs as discussed in this thread to the Techart setup. This will allow approx. -1.5 degrees camber in the front (still a little less than optimal).

2. Change front lower control arms to a 2 piece GT3 setup. This with the addition of shims will allow you to realize the additional camber setup you seek. The only limitation will be your rims as in wheel to fender clearance which if still using factory rims, should not be an issue.

We have found with all ALMS and Grand AM setups we have used in the past more negative camber in the front is needed perhaps as much as one half to a full degree front more than in the rear.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:13 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Very nice stuff indeed... now you _need_ some headers for even better spool up. I know, it never ends
Old 04-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by david1
I'm expecting delivery of my TT in the next couple to three weeks and have asked my salesman to look into exhaust systems that the dealership could install without voiding the warranty. He's getting back to me later this week. How much is the AWE exhaust system and how much labor time is required to install?

Thanks.
You won't have any warranty trouble with exhaust only. As the other poster noted ECU flashing is a different story however we sell port switches (REVO) as does GIAC (I beleive) that enable immediate and undetectable switching (yes even by the newest PST3) from performance flash to stock and back again once the car is out of service.

As for the cost of the AWE system for the 997TT, $3,795 (includes 200 cell cats) and 4.5 hours install (or thereabouts).
Old 04-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dolt
what would you say then that the negatives of the PSS9 system were in the 997, or at least where you thought that it came up short vs the techarts
With the PSS9 setup for PASM you loose the 9 setting adjustability as was featured on previous gen configs therefore your ability to literally dial-in damping to your unique driving style and or intended use is lost.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Johnny V
Instructor

what's the stripped gt3 in the rear? Any pics?

Quick Reply: Techart Springs & AWE Exhaust Install