Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Cancel this Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Sammyh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Cancel this Extended Warranty?

Picked up my new Atlas Grey, cocoa, manual turbo today at a SF Bay Area dealer. Had to wait an extra 1.5 hours while they we're recovering a computer failure and could process my paperwork.

I was anxious to get rolling by the time the finance guy presented an extended warranty package, which I wasn't inclined to buy but because I plan to keep to car until the next generation turbo is available, I impulsively said yes.

It's a 70K mile/7 year warranty that cost $2750, with $100 deductible per warranty visit.

After I got home after the initial 100 mile drive up and around highway 1 along the Pacific (the law was out so a nervous first journey), I had some buyer's remorse regarding the extended warranty, and thought I would ask your opinion on whether this is a reasonalbe thing to do at a reasonable price,
or whether I should just cancel the thing and move on?

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Sammy
Old 03-25-2007, 12:25 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I have never been a big fan of extended warranties. This 7 year/70,000 doesn't sound like a real good value. You automatically receive 4 years and 50,000 miles, so for $2750 you are extending it by only 3 years and 20,000 miles. I suspect most owners will clear the 7 years before they hit the 70,000 miles.

If you are really going to keep it that long and put anywhere near that kind of mileage on the car, I guess it might be okay, but $2750 sounds like a lot of dough to me. Dealers usually have a lot of profit in extended warranty sales.

If it were me, I'd likely pass. But that's just me, some folks love extended warranties.

Keep us posted on what you finally decided to do and good luck.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:24 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with the dog-if you are going to keep it until the next generation turbo, then you will be getting rid of it before 7 years, as the next generation turbo will be out well before then. if you do keep it for 7 years, it doesn't sound like a terrible deal, as you will be paying $2700 for 3 more years of warranty-i wouldn't buy it though. the 4 years/50000 miles is already a robust warranty, and the turbo has proven to be a reliable car. the only strong benefit of the warranty that i can see is that if you actually keep the car that long and if the warranty is transferable, you can get a better price for the car if you sell it to a private owner, as it will be warrantied during years 5-7. i personally would keep the $2700 in my pocket-in the case that you keep the car over 4 years, you have conceeded that you will be going thru $2700 in repairs-i would bet that the usually reliable turbo doesn't do that to you. keep the money. remember-the warranty company, who knows more than we do, is also betting that your car doesn't cost that much in repairs also.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:54 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You're betting that you are going to have a catastrophic failure beyond 50 k miles. Well, you won't. The TT is bullet proof, if anything goes it will be early and well within the factory warranty parameters. Aftermarket warranties are a rip generally, the seldom cover what you think they will, and getting satisfaction is a hassle. I say pass.
Besides, as Chris alluded to, who really keeps a car beyond 5-6yrs?
Do you know how many cars I was' keeping forever', that are all long gone?

Last edited by C4S Surgeon; 03-25-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:42 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 348 Posts

If you want it you should price it out amongst several dealers. Just like you would if you were buying a car. I remember there was a MB dealer in CA that was selling extended plans for much less than most other dealers. Most warranties are "suggested retail price".

For the hell of it I checked with my MB dealer when I had my E55 (thinking I was going to keep the car forever - yeah, right! Then said the same thing when I got the 997S. This one lasted all of 1 year!). Anyway, they quoted me the regular price - roughly the same as what you were quoted. I told them they needed to do better and they said there was no room in extended policies! It's amazing the crap dealers will tell you. I showed them the quote I received from the dealer in CA and told them I was just giving them the oppty. to have my business. If they wanted to match I'd buy it from them. Otherwise, it's good from any MB dealer. They matched and it was significantly less than the "suggested retail price". Seeing how you've already paid you may have trouble. YOu may want to get some quotes from other dealerss and if you find someone else willing to sell it for less go back to your dealer.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Sammyh
Intermediate

I called the dealer and cancelled the extended warranty. The warranty was offered by a 3rd party out of Florida, and the contract language said that if the company became insolvent, then another Florida-based insurance company would own the customers. There was no contractual obligation for my dealer or Porsche itself to honor warranty repairs under the agreement. I understand that this is how it's done, but given the cost and the forum members comments on the reliability of the 911, I decided that I'd take my chances
without the extension.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sammy
Old 03-27-2007, 12:38 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

OK you got the free advice, how 'bout some damn pics of that atlas bitch!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:49 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

They say extended warranties are not worth it, especially if its some third party. You did the right thing.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Sammyh
Intermediate

pics coming. . .
Old 03-27-2007, 09:56 PM
turbojohn
Instructor

[QUOTE=Sammyh]Picked up my new Atlas Grey, cocoa, manual turbo today at a SF Bay Area dealer. Had to wait an extra 1.5 hours while they we're recovering a computer failure and could process my paperwork.

I was anxious to get rolling by the time the finance guy presented an extended warranty package, which I wasn't inclined to buy but because I plan to keep to car until the next generation turbo is available, I impulsively said yes.

It's a 70K mile/7 year warranty that cost $2750, with $100 deductible per warranty visit.

After I got home after the initial 100 mile drive up and around highway 1 along the Pacific (the law was out so a nervous first journey), I had some buyer's remorse regarding the extended warranty, and thought I would ask your opinion on whether this is a reasonalbe thing to do at a reasonable price,
or whether I should just cancel the thing and move on?

With the warranty, did you not get the free tire replacement as part of the package??? This means a new tire for any tire failure that can't be repaired for the life of the tire. This tire-warranty separately sells for $600. I got 100K7yr warranty for $3000 which included the tire warranty.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:14 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sammy-i think that you did the right thing. turbojohn-they will pay if the tire fails (has a blow out, gets a nail), not if it wears out. they also will only pay for the wheel if it is bent so badly, that the wheel/tire combo is unable to hold air.

Quick Reply: Should I Cancel this Extended Warranty?