Sponsored by:

Tiptronic versus Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Solo1111
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic versus Manual

I am currently placing an order for a 997 turbo but I am comtemplating on whether getting a manual versus tiptronic. I am a driver who is perfectly capable of driving manuals and own stick-shift cars.

Yes, I know manual is more fun and better car control. However, having read so many articles and reports saying that tiptronic is faster in 0-60 and 0-100, I can't help myself not to consider the tiptronic option.

Question I have is: does the Porsche tiptronic (in manual mode) acts like those regular automatic tranny where it automatically upshifts for you, or does it hold the gear and bounce with the rev limiter? I would hate the tiptronic if it is the first and not the latter.

Anyone with a tiptronic 997 turbo (or had experienced it) would like to comment?

Thanks very much.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:45 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shifts if you actually do that.

However, unless you are specifically trying to do that, it won't hurt you. For example in "Sport" on the track it will go down two shifts very quickly and hold the gear with power on all the way up, just as you would when driving it.

On one of our tracks there is a small kink that only requires one down then in 60 or so yards a 120 right that requires two more and the trans "knew" what to do. Ask the instructors at DE, you have to be really really good to beat a Tip with a stick.

I loved the Tip because it was my DD.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:48 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo1111
I am currently placing an order for a 997 turbo but I am comtemplating on whether getting a manual versus tiptronic. I am a driver who is perfectly capable of driving manuals and own stick-shift cars.

Yes, I know manual is more fun and better car control. However, having read so many articles and reports saying that tiptronic is faster in 0-60 and 0-100, I can't help myself not to consider the tiptronic option.

Question I have is: does the Porsche tiptronic (in manual mode) acts like those regular automatic tranny where it automatically upshifts for you, or does it hold the gear and bounce with the rev limiter? I would hate the tiptronic if it is the first and not the latter.

Anyone with a tiptronic 997 turbo (or had experienced it) would like to comment?

Thanks very much.
If you want to get the TIP because it is faster to 100mph, you will be severly disappointed, because the TIP is faster only when abused at launch and you are not going to do that every time. otherwise the TIP is NOT faster and actually the manual might be significantly faster above 120mph or so.
Continue your research and you will see that without torque braking the TIP is slower than a well driven manual. What you have is an excellent marketing scheme by Porsche to get rid of the automatics before releasing the PDK which will make the TIP obsolete the minute it is out. The manual will continue unphased, but this is just my opinion.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:38 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AAH986
If you want to get the TIP because it is faster to 100mph, you will be severly disappointed, because the TIP is faster only when abused at launch and you are not going to do that every time. otherwise the TIP is NOT faster and actually the manual might be significantly faster above 120mph or so.
Continue your research and you will see that without torque braking the TIP is slower than a well driven manual. What you have is an excellent marketing scheme by Porsche to get rid of the automatics before releasing the PDK which will make the TIP obsolete the minute it is out. The manual will continue unphased, but this is just my opinion.
I'm sure that PDK will eventually be good. I would not buy the first generation or two however.

And still the reference to skullduggery on the part of the manufacturer. I personally didn't (and still don't ) feel that Porsche is "out to get me". I bought Tip because it was a logical choice for a DD in Urban/Suburban traffic. I was very plesantly suprised by its track manners as most who have actually driven it on the track seem to be. That's all.

The GT-3 in the wings will obviously be a non-DD and I have a CLK 6.3 that I just picked up for that task.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:09 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
I'm sure that PDK will eventually be good. I would not buy the first generation or two however.

And still the reference to skullduggery on the part of the manufacturer. I personally didn't (and still don't ) feel that Porsche is "out to get me". I bought Tip because it was a logical choice for a DD in Urban/Suburban traffic. I was very plesantly suprised by its track manners as most who have actually driven it on the track seem to be. That's all.

The GT-3 in the wings will obviously be a non-DD and I have a CLK 6.3 that I just picked up for that task.
Nice choice of a DD. I got my wife a CLK550 cab over Xmas and it is quite a powertrain already. Do yourself a favor and skip the Merc Bluetooth. Not only does it suck, but it costs close to $2k when it is all said and done. Parrotkits.com has an integration kit that allows you to control the parrots via the factory steering wheel buttons
Old 03-17-2007, 08:52 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the info. Actually the CLK 550 with the 7-speed is great. Hs all the power last year's 55 AMG and the tranny, it's a rocket. After driiving it I had them clean it up and get it ready for delivery. I knew they had the 6.3 but on the street it's more than one needs.

I came in after dinner to buy the 550 and they told me they felt kinda stuck with the 6.3 and I was one of the few customers they had who would buy it. I told them the premium was far too high considering te competency of the 550. After 20 min with the GM they finally offered it at cost. Not invoice, but all the back door stuff too. What could I do...?

Yeah, no BT is right. First, it's near-worthless with the top down, but that's a minor issue. The real thing is this;

Do you want your passenger to listen in on your phone conversations? I sure do not. Happily the car came without it. But I did get ventilated seats. When I first heard about them I thought they were gimmicky. Having had them on a couple of cars, they are great in a Cab for the summer.

Originally Posted by eclou
Nice choice of a DD. I got my wife a CLK550 cab over Xmas and it is quite a powertrain already. Do yourself a favor and skip the Merc Bluetooth. Not only does it suck, but it costs close to $2k when it is all said and done. Parrotkits.com has an integration kit that allows you to control the parrots via the factory steering wheel buttons

Quick Reply: Tiptronic versus Manual