Sponsored by:

How Would You Drive This?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Sammyh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Would You Drive This?

My SF Bay Area dealer informed me last week that my ’07 997TT has been built, and should be at the dealer in about 5-6 weeks. When I placed the order in late November, I was given an April build date. The dealer called in early January and said the build schedule had changed to late Feb, but then the car was built mid Feb. Here’s the order, which I got for $5K off MSRP:

Atlas Grey/Cocoa six speed standard brakes, LSD, Chrono, and heated seats (yeah, I know, I’m in Northern California but my wife wants ‘em).

Btw, props to Rami since at the last minute I changed the interior from Stone Grey to Cocoa because of the cool look of his configuration (before I made the change, I did compare a Stone Grey next to a Cocoa on the dealer’s lot).

The only mod I’d like to do out of the gate is to get Atlas Grey colored headlight rings since I don’t like the stock grey color contrast (this was something I wanted to do even before I saw Rami’s mods! )

So here’s the situation. I start and end my commute with a VERY steep and winding one mile grade. If the objective is to minimize wear and tear on the engine and brake system, how would you drive up and down this kind of road? Remember, the objective is the minimize wear and tear; once I get to the flatlands, I’ll go ahead and tear it up.

Sam
Old 02-21-2007, 07:02 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going down hill, just keep it in low gear. Going up hill I wouldn't worry about a car with almost 500hp straining to get up there.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:18 PM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

The only issue that I can foresee you having is scraping the front lip coming down/up the driveway. As long as you drive in/out at an angle then you should be fine. Clutch/power will be more than adequate especially since the clutch is easy to modulate.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Sammyh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by texas911
Going down hill, just keep it in low gear. Going up hill I wouldn't worry about a car with almost 500hp straining to get up there.
texas911,

I was under the impression that the driver shouldn't use the engine to slow the car down. Wouldn't using engine compression to brake the car produce more wear and tear on the engine? I guess on the other hand, sitting on the brakes all the way down the hill means I'd just be replacing the pads more frequently. Probably no optimal solution.

Sam
Old 02-21-2007, 10:45 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No extra wear and tear, its actually the vacuum in the cylinders that is slowing down the car. Its essentially free energy.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sammyh
The dealer called in early January and said the build schedule had changed to late Feb, but then the car was built mid Feb. Here’s the order, which I got for $5K off MSRP:

Atlas Grey/Cocoa six speed standard brakes, LSD, Chrono, and heated seats (yeah, I know, I’m in Northern California but my wife wants ‘em).

So here’s the situation. I start and end my commute with a VERY steep and winding one mile grade. If the objective is to minimize wear and tear on the engine and brake system, how would you drive up and down this kind of road? Remember, the objective is the minimize wear and tear; once I get to the flatlands, I’ll go ahead and tear it up.

Sam
Just keep the revs down until temps come up. BTW great color choice and options... Nice to see that the pricing discounts are spreading out even to CA.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:49 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you actually think you are going to wear out this engine? The only question is "Do you have the patience to let it idle before shut down?" My advice is just drive it the way you enjoy it. These cars are tough.
I have an 02ttX50, and I have a pretty steep hill on my way to the driveway, and I just shut it off. No problems, tho nobody on the 996tt board thinks that is a good practice. I will update you in another 5 or 6 years, if something wears out. AS
Old 02-22-2007, 01:01 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Its essentially free energy.
If you discount the cost of going UP the hill
Old 02-22-2007, 10:00 AM
golfguy
Racer

Default OT: 430 gone?

Originally Posted by allegretto
If you discount the cost of going UP the hill

allegretto

what happened to your 430? i thought you loved the feel and character of it?

did you get a 599?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:28 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

See post number #5 by allegretto for the answer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...30#post3905830

Great meeting you too, Golfguy!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:46 AM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by atomic80
See post number #5 by allegretto for the answer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...30#post3905830

Great meeting you too, Golfguy!
Jason

great to meet you as well.

thanks for showing me your tt. it looks even better in person than in your pics.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:40 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by golfguy

allegretto

what happened to your 430? i thought you loved the feel and character of it?

did you get a 599?
No my 599 is still a couple of years away.

I collect several things. I find that if I have too many (cars, watches, guitars) it is actually subtractive from my enjoyment. I realize that is likely not true for many but it is for me. So in my history of collecting I am constantly either building up or paring down (or both ).

The Ferrari is a wonderful ride to be sure, but not terribly practical for anything but joyriding. The few times I went to a watering hole with it I paid extra just so they left it right out in front and didn't drive it "in back" where for all I know it could enter the Twilight Zone. On the track the TT leaves the 360 and 430 far behind. I don't know if the mags don't know how to drive Porsches or I don't know how to drive Ferraris but the 360 was no contest no matter what i did once I got the TT. The 430 may have been sufficently remeadible but in stock trim it still couldn't keep up, at least on my tracks. If anyone has a 430 and their experience was contrary I'd like to hear it. And emotion is transient.

So, OK OK; TT's, 360's, 430's none are trackers. But the reality is that it does spill over into the street in subtle ways (no street racing, if someone wants to show me how fast they think they are, they're going solo). And, if someone can show me another car that does everything a TT does as well as it does it, I'll buy it! I did have an emotional attachment to the 430 and a couple of months ago I likely would have though differently. But the 4-season performance of the TT along with its dial-in characteristics...can't be beat IMHO.

Besides, I need the garage spot for my tracker and RS! Stay tuned.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No extra wear and tear, its actually the vacuum in the cylinders that is slowing down the car. Its essentially free energy.
On up stroke it is compression, on the down stroke it is vacuum, and yes it is wear, you have rotating parts slowing the car.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Brakes are a lot cheaper to slow a car and that is there sole job. Why would you put wear and tear on your driveline to slow the car (shafts, bearings, tranny, engine, etc.)?!
Old 02-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Do you actually think you are going to wear out this engine? The only question is "Do you have the patience to let it idle before shut down?" My advice is just drive it the way you enjoy it. These cars are tough.
I have an 02ttX50, and I have a pretty steep hill on my way to the driveway, and I just shut it off. No problems, tho nobody on the 996tt board thinks that is a good practice. I will update you in another 5 or 6 years, if something wears out. AS

Only thing that wil wear is the turbos themselves.

Quick Reply: How Would You Drive This?