Sponsored by:

How do you like your Tip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Gemballa1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you like your Tip?

Very curious of the feedback on the tip from owners. I have always had manual on my 996TT and GT2. I know this is the first year the tip is putting up better performance numbers but I have been hearing very mixed reviews. The mags and track drivers seen to strongly prefer the manual while some others the tip. What say you? After the fact, but why didn't they use F1 type paddles?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:08 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tip is undoubtedly better in traffic, except for a notable few. So for 90%+ of everyone's miles it doesn't matter much.

On the track lots of guys like traditional methods and prefer stick. I used to be one of them. I wish I was as fast as the new Tip on the track. In my hands at least, it has never bogged me out or upset my line with an inopportune shift up or down.

But the TT is not a track car. It's a street-oriented supercar/GT. At that, it is the best in the business for overall performance. If you are looking for more track, get a GT-3 of any year.

Unlike some, I am not waiting breathlessly for DSG. I will buy gen 2 at the earliest, maylbe later. Beware of gen 1 anything from any car manufacturer.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:22 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

Sorry Hijack - WTF happened to your 430?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:33 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Inquiring minds wanna know! What happened to the F430?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:12 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for asking

Big summer ahead. My RS (as with you Lou, I plan to keep both my TT and the RS) is coming and I'm also going to buy a "pure" track car of some stripe. Down to a couple of contenders, more later.

Anyway, something had to go. I'm a little old fashioned I guess but I envisioned my garage about July and just felt I had an obscene amount of money tied up in iron. I don't worry too much about money, but keeping a bunch on cars gets unwieldly on several levels.

Went to see my F-car dealer and he informed me that Spyder season has begun in Chicago and it was at max value right now since most guys aren't even in the sell mode yet. I was made a very plesant offer (you gotta say one thing, they do hold value) and flipped away the keys. I have owned two Ferraris in a 9 mo span and put about 500 mi between the two of them while my TT racked up nearly 5000. The choice was obvious...

Ferraris are for show, Porsches are for go! I can tell you that without hesitation.

Last edited by allegretto; 02-22-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:07 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Couldn't agree more. Not missing the 360 now that I have the TT. Wouldn't go back.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

Sorry for another hijack- I have the 997 TT coming in June and was going to keep the M5 but the RS4 makes more sense (AWD). How do you guys like it?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:32 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Personally, I don't want too much overlap in my cars. Right now, I've got the TT while the wife has a CLK550cab (very nice exhaust note and pickup BTW) which gives us options for different moods. All of the cars we have are going to be 2+2's so as to allow the kids to ride as well. As soon as we get out of the stroller ages, I would like to dump the SUV and go the route of something like a luxo-sedan to finish the set.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:13 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by eclou
Personally, I don't want too much overlap in my cars. Right now, I've got the TT while the wife has a CLK550cab (very nice exhaust note and pickup BTW) which gives us options for different moods. All of the cars we have are going to be 2+2's so as to allow the kids to ride as well. As soon as we get out of the stroller ages, I would like to dump the SUV and go the route of something like a luxo-sedan to finish the set.
Lou,

In the past I've always had an M-B or Lexus sedan in the garage. But as I have grown I wonder why I bother. My mule right now is a Camry Hybrid and I love it. Comfortable and quiet and 35 MPG+ on the cheapest gas i can find. Toyota obviously keeps the trim level down but it is a GS 450 in many ways, but not as much pep. But since I track now I drive only slightly faster than the limit and it has plenty for that.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:49 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

My DD now is an 01 Silverado Z71 with 120k+ miles. LS1, 4wd, 33" mud tires and about an inch of dirt on it. I find it a very compelling vehicle for fighting thru the nasty traffic in my area. There is almost nothing it cannot go over or thru. 9mpg though

Quick Reply: How do you like your Tip?