Attached Images        
Old 02-11-2007 | 05:27 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Looks great! I can't believe I have another 3 months of waiting
Old 02-11-2007 | 06:10 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chris...3 more months...yeeesh. Take a trip to NJ and we can go for a ride...
Old 02-11-2007 | 11:52 PM
gradyex
Racer

Chris, you and me. its gonna be a long wait! Reclaims will have to keep us entertained with photos and commentaries. The 997TT sure looks good in black, nice choice of color both inside and out. Don't worry about going over 4500 rpm once in a while, just vary the RPM's. By now I bet you already have 1000 miles and the break-in will be reached soon. I know you are comming from a 996 (I am always curious about comparisons with the base and "S" 997 owners). If the weather doesn't hold up on the East Coast you are welcome to drive to San Francisco! LOL. Today was real nice (no rain).
Old 02-12-2007 | 01:50 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

I have always been partial to black cars and for me...guess it's left over from childhood memories...but to me a Porsche should be black.

I can't comment on the base and S 997, but cannot say enough about the improvements over the 996. I read it a ton of times but just never believed it could be really this much better. I did however test drive a 997S and was not overly impressed compared to my 996.

Glad the weather is nice out there..it was about 30 degrees this morning here!

Ok...latest commentary...the clutch is incredibly lighter than on the 996. When I sat in traffic in my old car my hip hurt when I got home...I thought I was just getting old but this clutch is so much easier. I was in traffic this morning and it was the easiest clutch I have ever driven.

Not sure if you would believe this but the salesman told me that you only need the clutch for 1st through 3rd and there after you can just shift without the clutch...crazy talk but that's what he said. Has anyone else heard anything remotely similar?
Old 02-13-2007 | 01:23 AM
gradyex
Racer

You know when I was just learning to drive (about 15 1/2 years old) my father used to take me in the Presidio with his Alfa 1750 berlinetta. It was a 5 speed and not the easiest clutch to drive. Well, after a few lessons he would show off and literally shift gears without touching the clutch. If you were at the right RPM it would be a smooth transfer from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, even downshifting. The trick was getting the RPM "just right" and damn the sucker worked without depressing the clutch! If you did not time the shift properly or did not rev the rpm's just right you would hear and feel gears grinding, popping out of gear, etc. I guess the syncros in the gearbox allowed a shift without depressing the clutch. Remember you really had to try and get it right or the sound would be horrible trying to push into the next gear. Anyhow it was fun and I still remember it to this day. I really have no explanation for it but have done it with many cars since then.
Old 02-13-2007 | 10:08 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Hey, Chris!

Three more months? Bummer. Just to wet your appetite, let me relate a recent observation. Last weekend, I was driving on the highway going to Philly at about 11 PM. Clear, dry, very little traffic. The road ahead was empty so I decided to open it up. It went very, very easily to 120. Feeling confident, I pushed it to 140, still very easy. Then the good part. I accelerated a bit more and even at 140 I could feel the car pull quite strong. That was a kick, but I ran out of room quick and came up on some traffic. I can't wait to get to a track, hopefully this summer. Your car will be broken in by then.

Ken
Old 02-14-2007 | 04:29 PM
pl
Drifting

nice car.
your wait finally paid off.....
Old 02-14-2007 | 05:07 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken89911T
Hey, Chris!

Three more months? Bummer. Just to wet your appetite, let me relate a recent observation. Last weekend, I was driving on the highway going to Philly at about 11 PM. Clear, dry, very little traffic. The road ahead was empty so I decided to open it up. It went very, very easily to 120. Feeling confident, I pushed it to 140, still very easy. Then the good part. I accelerated a bit more and even at 140 I could feel the car pull quite strong. That was a kick, but I ran out of room quick and came up on some traffic. I can't wait to get to a track, hopefully this summer. Your car will be broken in by then.

Ken
Hi Ken! Great to hear from you. yeah, the wait is killing me! I still have my 997S, which aint chopped liver, but I'm trying not to drive it to keep the miles down.

My car will be broken in when I drive it home from Cleveland to L.I. LOL!
Old 02-14-2007 | 09:45 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Congratulations and enjoy the car! Now you can relax and read the owners manual! Enjoy.
Old 02-14-2007 | 10:34 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

mastiff...that manual is no joke...it's a good thing it's snowing and freezing so I have time to read the thing!

Would you believe I just stood in my garage freezing my rear end off staring at the car? (at least it was while I was waiting for the dog to do her thing in the yard).

Now time to pay some like attention to my wife...
Old 02-15-2007 | 09:47 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Congratulations and enjoy the car! Now you can relax and read the owners manual! Enjoy.
how's that z06 doing?
Old 02-15-2007 | 10:17 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docjackson1
how's that z06 doing?
They really should consider putting Adaptive Sport Seats in it , other than that, its a pretty amazing package for the price. We're enjoying the car...
Old 02-16-2007 | 12:54 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
They really should consider putting Adaptive Sport Seats in it , other than that, its a pretty amazing package for the price. We're enjoying the car...
i recently drove an e63-i am not getting it(no money to afford a bunch of expensive cars), but that was a pretty hot sedan. i am just an internist, if i was a plastic surgeon, i would buy it. i have always agreed with you about the z06-although you and i agree that the 997tt is absolutely a better car, for the money, the z06 can't be beat, in any comparison, with any sports car.
Old 02-16-2007 | 01:42 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docjackson1
i recently drove an e63-i am not getting it(no money to afford a bunch of expensive cars), but that was a pretty hot sedan. i am just an internist, if i was a plastic surgeon, i would buy it. i have always agreed with you about the z06-although you and i agree that the 997tt is absolutely a better car, for the money, the z06 can't be beat, in any comparison, with any sports car.

Uh, Doc, you see, I got this pain, uh, right here in my back ...

The E63 is a nice car too. And although the comparison battles continue all over the different forums, I think the consensus is that the Z06 is a darn good value for the price you pay.

Quick Reply: The wait is killing me!