Sponsored by:

Cayenne Turbo S vs Range Rover HSE Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:10 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cayenne Turbo S vs Range Rover HSE Supercharged

Hey Alexander Stemer or any other self proclaimed Porsche expert (and i say that respectfully!)..... the lease is up on my 05 Range Rover HSE and I was expecting to get another HSE or even a 'supercharged' one but lately a Cayenne Turbo S has been haunting my mind every day. Please help me and elaborate on why I should choose the Turbo S over the Supercharged Rover. I would really appreciate all input.... serious and comical. Thanks, Michael
Old 08-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Micheal,

Why bother debating which one to get. Just get one of each, together with a X5, ML63 and Q7, then take a group picture for our viewing pleasure.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:20 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Just get one of each

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Hey Micheal,

Why bother debating which one to get. Just get one of each, together with a X5, ML63 and Q7, then take a group picture for our viewing pleasure.
Oh thanks a lot Targa Tim, You really know how to hurt a 'spoiled brat'! Magwheel
Old 08-28-2006, 11:41 PM
cableguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a performance standpoint, the RR supercharged does not even come close to the Cayanne Turbo. I personally like a little bigger truck so I would get the RR HSE. I've driven both the HSE and Supercharged and was not that impressed with the Supercharged. Don't think it's worth the extra $15-20k. You have plenty of go fast cars.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:27 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not the right guy to ask about a boosted SUV. I use ours for towing, and currently pick between an LX470 (not a great tow vehicle as its air suspension seems to get confused) and an 06 Denali (much better).
When I get in an SUV, I'm not in hyper-mode, so my driving is more relaxed. I have yet to try drifting an SUV, though hard trail braking gets your passengers a bit wound up. The Denali seems to sit lower, and actually is the better road vehicle.
If you just need to pick up food for the critters, isn't the E55 wagon now available? Personally, I prefer a rwd vehicle with 4 snows in the winter, unless you need to climb a tall hill or have deep snow. Since we have both of those here in the dunes, I keep snows on my tt, all seasons on my E55, and the LX470 and Audi A6 on all seasons under the carport.
I thought you had a pair of the Rovers. That seems to open up more options if you don't need 2 SUV's. Hope I didn't let you down. AS
Old 08-29-2006, 01:27 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur with cableguy. I have the HSE version right now and at one point considered upgrading to the Supercharged RR. I ended up deciding to just keep my HSE for the time being but if I were in the market for a new SUV then I'd definitely go with the Cayenne Turbo S.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:07 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Here is my advice. If you need the extra room and want the extra comfort, buy the RR supercharged. The NA version was annoying to drive while waiting for power. The supercharged version is still slow but it at least has a little more kick.

If you want a vehicle that need not be as completely plush as the RR, I highly recommend the BMW X5 with the 4.8is engine. I have one as my daily driver and I love it. I know the Cayenne Turbo might post some better numbers but I just don't like the Cayenne. The inside feels smaller than the X5 and there is not as much storage space in the driver area. I also think the exterior of the X5 4.8is is much more pleasing.

I tow with my 4.8is and it doesn't miss a beat. I can accelerate VERY HARD going up-hill with +6500lbs. being towed, no problems. It accelerates quick, handles great.. It will even do laps at Thunderhill

Old 08-29-2006, 10:53 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the RR, its just so luxurious on the inside. Wait a month or so for the RR 07, they have an updated interior which is even nicer. Performance is adequate.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:38 PM
stearnsn
Intermediate

I have a 2003 HSE and I drove the Cayenne Turbo for a day when my 997TT was at the dealer for work. I prefer the HSE even though the Porsche was much faster and better handling. I think the Cayenne is ugly for one and it did not feel as comfortable or functional as the RR.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:50 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a sports car from a sports car company. Buy an SUV from an SUV company.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:49 AM
SHAIKH
2nd Gear

I personally dont like the Range Rover but the supercharged one temted me to check it out. i am 6'3 and i was very uncomfortable in the drivers seat and no one could fit behind me as there was no leg room. Even the drive wasnt that great/

The Cayenne Turbo/S on the other hand is amazing to drive and fast too. The stability on corners is also pretty impressive.

I cancelled my order as there is a facelift coming around March 2007 so i guess i will wait....but if you need it now i will definately say go with the Cayenne
Old 08-30-2006, 10:18 AM
peachboy
Racer

Originally Posted by texas911
Buy a sports car from a sports car company. Buy an SUV from an SUV company.
My sentiment exactly...on top I really don't like the image that the Supercharged is projecting...everyone I've seen with one is a total poser...get the regular HSE or even better a "Westminster" special edition if you can find one. They are awesome.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:27 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

I would choose the RR SC over the Cayenne TT any day.

However I just love the look of these bad boys I don't care how old they are - AMG power and that neat old skool box look with huge brakes and great interiors and built like a tank! 469 horses and 516 pound-feet and 0-60 in 5.6secs does not hurt either!

Yasin
Old 08-30-2006, 11:33 AM
007 911
AutoX

I know this is not one of the ones you inquired about, but I second the rec on the X5 4.8. I am also one who does not like the look of the Cayenne so I would go with the RR, but honestly I wold take the X5 over the RR. I just bought one for the wife. She was very torn between the RR and X5, but the X5 drove more like a car with towing capability and ability to haul things. Anyway, FWIW from someone who was in that situation a few months back. BTW- if you sig is really your current garage lineup can I have a job? That is one awesome collection of rigs. Congratulations!
Old 08-30-2006, 01:49 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by slownrusty
I would choose the RR SC over the Cayenne TT any day.

However I just love the look of these bad boys I don't care how old they are - AMG power and that neat old skool box look with huge brakes and great interiors and built like a tank! 469 horses and 516 pound-feet and 0-60 in 5.6secs does not hurt either!

Yasin
I test drove the G Wagon the other day. I HATED IT.. It felt like I was driving a Mitsibushi Montero. Especially with the front window that was straight up and down (no angle) --

B

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo S vs Range Rover HSE Supercharged