First 997tt modified ECU software

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006 | 06:29 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJayB
TB
As always a wealth of information. Given that the compressors run out of spool at around 560 hp, it would seem that Porsche's future upgrades (GT2, X50 etc) would be rated in the 520 hp range.

Jimmy
Hi JJay
Yeah, 520hp seems to be on the nose for the GT2, with the same turbos.
Old 09-27-2006 | 06:39 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

RT12 0-300kph in 24s!! Those are some very good numbers indeed!

I guess they must have beaten the best published numbers I have seen so far.

So there is a new VMAX coming up shortly and both of you guys will be there with your 993s? Can we please stay updated on the 993TT board to avoid more OT talk.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2006 | 05:51 PM
leonsamonas
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Hi Leon
I think the 22.5s is a claim - can't recall ever seeing an actual magazine test.

It was RS who "invented" the 0-300kph run in the late '80s with the 580hp wide bodied 930tt which did 216mph and 0-300kph in 29.4s the journalists of the day were guessing at 40+secs, having never done the test before !

Not sure you really want my opinion on the potency of Ruf's horses
From about 2001 I think that Ruf's horses have changed compared to the ones
he used to quote for the 993 turbo R and before.
I don't know if its a change in personel (Ruf himself is not up to speed
with modern ECU control and leaves the engine side to others) but I
think the numbers quoted from the Ruf engine dyno are not Porsche comparable any more.

Compared to many other tuners, yes Ruf's numbers are very conservative and
this may be why they now allow bigger numbers to quoted.

We will do an acceleration run next to each other at the upcoming Vmax and
you can decide how RS Tuning horses compare to Ruf horses

BTW
I think if the RT12 does 0-300kph in 24s then it is VERY potent for a road legal car and we are clutching at straws debating hp at these levels of acceleration
TB,
you are too funny, rennlist.com wouldn't be the same without you
Old 10-10-2006 | 12:58 AM
AW335i
5th Gear

What are the prices running for ECU tuning or replacment chips?
Old 10-10-2006 | 05:50 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AW335i
What are the prices running for ECU tuning or replacment chips?
They do not exist at any price for the moment.
Old 10-10-2006 | 06:36 PM
cooperlee
Instructor

i heard protomotive now has an ECU ready for the 997tt making 600 crank hp utilizing OEM turbos with exhaust and intake system!
Old 10-19-2006 | 11:31 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Default protomotive 997 TT

Call me crazy but I did it. After a lot of research, I sent the ecu to Todd Knighton and got it back today. He had explained to me before that he was able to improve hp gains significanlty without increasing peak boost. Here are some boost numbers from my drive earlier today.
Regular mode: full throttle comes with 15-16 psi or about 1 bar all the way from 2000 to redline which is now 7300!!.
Sport mode: full throttle comes with 1.2 bar sustained from 2000 all the way to 7300
This happens smoothly but quickly and the power surge is very dramatic from down low.
Throttle response in regular mode is now almost similar to sport mode.
The car is not dynoed yet but the tuner did dyno other cars and he reported 480 whp in regular mode and a little over 500whp in sport mode.
I am no expert but the car is now unbelievably quicker than before.
Just wanted to share that and will report any reliability issues as time goes by.
Any questions welcome.
Old 10-20-2006 | 12:35 AM
cooperlee
Instructor

congrats playa!!

I am planning to do the very same and send my ecu to Todd when i return back to the states from business.

Do you have any mods on the car like exhaust, headers, etc etc? or just only the ecu upgrade???

So the car is much much quicker and responsive then stock yea? Was it hard for you to remove and re-install the ecu yourself? thanks
Old 10-20-2006 | 02:56 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AAH986
Call me crazy but I did it. After a lot of research, I sent the ecu to Todd Knighton and got it back today. He had explained to me before that he was able to improve hp gains significanlty without increasing peak boost. Here are some boost numbers from my drive earlier today.
Regular mode: full throttle comes with 15-16 psi or about 1 bar all the way from 2000 to redline which is now 7300!!.
Sport mode: full throttle comes with 1.2 bar sustained from 2000 all the way to 7300
This happens smoothly but quickly and the power surge is very dramatic from down low.
Throttle response in regular mode is now almost similar to sport mode.
The car is not dynoed yet but the tuner did dyno other cars and he reported 480 whp in regular mode and a little over 500whp in sport mode.
I am no expert but the car is now unbelievably quicker than before.
Just wanted to share that and will report any reliability issues as time goes by.
Any questions welcome.
Thanks for sharing the information.

I am not sure I can understand the improvements that were made in relative terms. The boost onset in itself does not mean much in terms of performance. Raising the rev. limiter certainly will give you more HP but you have not altered torque. You will have a faster car however when doing an acceleration run (stay longer on the throttle in-gear).

As far as the dyno, those dyno runs it would be interesting to know where and how the runs were made on that chassis dyno, as they (dynos) seem to be all over the place.

I am sure the car is quicker, it would be interesting to know how much..
If you have access to a GPS datalogger that would be your best assessment, butt dynos are known to fail
Old 10-20-2006 | 03:08 AM
AAHTT
Racer

to cooperlee: I have no other mods on the car this is just a software tune and yes the ecu was a little pain to remove because of its location behind the rear passenger seat below the sound system that has to be removed too, but not very complicated. it took about 15-20 minutes to remove and about 5 minutes to reinstall because of excitment........

To jean: the boost was not the only thing changed, several maps were altered and the numbers I got from the tuner were obtained on a 4wd dyno with 94 octane. I know that butt dynos are not accurate and I will dyno the car as soon as I find a 4wd dyno in the san diego area, if anyone has a recommendation please let me know. we already know that a stock TT dynos between 400-430 or so at the wheels.
Old 10-20-2006 | 05:07 PM
cooperlee
Instructor

thats awesome to learn. Sounds like you gained close to 60-80 hp to the wheels and potentially more once you slap on a pair of good exhaust and intake system.
Old 10-24-2006 | 09:11 AM
cooperlee
Instructor

AAH986- did you have to unplug or disconnect the battery terminals during the ecu removal and re-install process? I am planning to send mine out to Todd next week.... Cant wait as i got a cargraphic exhaust and springs system coming in as well!!! :=-O
Old 10-24-2006 | 01:02 PM
AAHTT
Racer

cooperlee, I did not disconnect the battery before or after the ecu removal/installation. Todd said that you can do it either way, as long as the ignition is off. He said it is probably safer to disconnect before re-installation, but that he never had any problems with leaving the battery connected.
when I turned the engine on for the first time, the only difference I noticed was a couple of small backfires on quick throttle blips and then everything became smooth and still is like factory. I have driven about 500 miles since the tune and looking forward to many more, the car is now ridiculous in sport mode and I am glad it has excellent brakes. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2006 | 01:22 PM
cooperlee
Instructor

sounds 36D ****!!!! ;-) now i am absolutely dying to get my ecu done. I may swing by one of Todd's dealer's protosport out in NJ so i can have this ECU installed within a days work and make the drive home a memorable one! hahahahahahhaa

must be absolutely insane to put down an additional 75-100whp on this already quick beast!!!! cheers!
Old 10-24-2006 | 05:54 PM
BBGT2
Intermediate

Todd Knighton know's his Porsche's no doubt. I talked to him last week and I will also be sinding my ECU to him real soon. He did my GT2 work when I had it and all I can say is there was never a hiccup with his work. One great thing about him is he will ALWAYS answer his phone and answer your emails. He will take the time to answert any technical question you may have, he is a genius.
What I mostly like about his stuff is that its HIS stuff and not someone else's he writes the maps and configures everything. If Todd tells you not to worry and that its safe thats the way it is.

Quick Reply: First 997tt modified ECU software