997tt vs. Z06: affect your decision?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Z06 works for me, just own them both

Hi,

I just picked up a Z06, and it's a hoot. There is nothing not to like about the car at $70K. I've owned 996TT, the new M5, and multiple Porsches, and I like this car as much as any of them. I pair it with the 997 C2S Cab, and don't mind taking either car. I certainly don't feel I'm giving up anything to the 997 in any way, in fact it's the opposite. I love this pair.

I'm puzzled by the negative responses here to the Z06. We may choose another car, like the 997TT (I have one on order), but that does not diminish the fantastic things they did in engineering the value of the century. If you like cars, how can you not like this car?

As written above, it is liberating to drive such high performance car and not overly worry or obcess about things.

Regarding the point of this thread, the new TT and Z06 are driver limited now. Arguments about which is faster are moot. But what you like.

Here's a pic of my garage.

Blue
Old 06-05-2006, 03:14 PM
355Spider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Hi,

I just picked up a Z06, and it's a hoot. There is nothing not to like about the car at $70K. I've owned 996TT, the new M5, and multiple Porsches, and I like this car as much as any of them. I pair it with the 997 C2S Cab, and don't mind taking either car. I certainly don't feel I'm giving up anything to the 997 in any way, in fact it's the opposite. I love this pair.

I'm puzzled by the negative responses here to the Z06. We may choose another car, like the 997TT (I have one on order), but that does not diminish the fantastic things they did in engineering the value of the century. If you like cars, how can you not like this car?

As written above, it is liberating to drive such high performance car and not overly worry or obcess about things.

Regarding the point of this thread, the new TT and Z06 are driver limited now. Arguments about which is faster are moot. But what you like.

Here's a pic of my garage.

Blue
Congrats man. Nice ride. Now just get down there and turn those lowering bolts a bit and you'll have an even meaner stance. And if I had a silver one I would hink about some of these aftermarket mesh grills. They look sweet on silver. I don't know about my yellow one though.
http://www.racemeshgrilles.com/racem...#C6%20Corvette
Old 06-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wire mesh grills are on order.

Hi,

Yeah, I agree with you on all counts. I'll lower it when I have time for an alignment. Grills are on order.

What color is yours?

Pretty fun car, huh? It's just a riot to drive.

And one last thing, I have no problem with 500cc implants. Real looking fake, or fake looking real, I like 'em both.

Blue
Old 06-05-2006, 05:50 PM
355Spider
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Hi,

Yeah, I agree with you on all counts. I'll lower it when I have time for an alignment. Grills are on order.

What color is yours?

Pretty fun car, huh? It's just a riot to drive.

And one last thing, I have no problem with 500cc implants. Real looking fake, or fake looking real, I like 'em both.

Blue

I have a velocity yellow. I'm thinking of powder coating the rims black. We'll see. The finish on the polished one's leaves something to be desired. It really is alot of fun to drive. Always puts a smile on my face.

And I am completely in agreement with you. Real or fake suits me just fine.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 355Spider
I can afford it and I still bought the Z06. I could aslo afford the 430 and ddin't get one of those either. I love being able to put a ton of miles on it, leave it out in the rain and sun, get it all dirty and not give a damn. When i'm spending 125k+ I feel bad about doing that.
Well said. I tested a Ferrari 456 and a 360 before deciding the 993TT was a better car. And now, I'm thinking a Z06 is awfully tempting. It has some seriously trick engineering, and legitimate racing heritage as well. I saw the yellow Corvettes run at Le Mans last year and that put some serious passion into me for the Z06. I do wish an interior grade was available, but at $70K, one can accept less frosting on the cake.

There's a 996 GT2 with 7,000 miles for sale at my local dealer (asking price $108,000) and that's pretty tempting, as well. As was said, good time to be a car guy.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:59 PM
drbf
Pro

Very nice, I had two C5's and they were great cars. I can imagine what the Z06 is like. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 PM
355Spider
Advanced

Originally Posted by Anir
Well said. I tested a Ferrari 456 and a 360 before deciding the 993TT was a better car. And now, I'm thinking a Z06 is awfully tempting. It has some seriously trick engineering, and legitimate racing heritage as well. I saw the yellow Corvettes run at Le Mans last year and that put some serious passion into me for the Z06. I do wish an interior grade was available, but at $70K, one can accept less frosting on the cake.

There's a 996 GT2 with 7,000 miles for sale at my local dealer (asking price $108,000) and that's pretty tempting, as well. As was said, good time to be a car guy.
That GT2 does sound tempting. My buddy has one and it's incredible.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:13 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Bluehinder, that is one awesome looking Z06! My favorite color too. And even more impressive is your garage - it's as clean as those cars...

Enjoy them all, that's what it's about!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Woodster
Drifting

I can only afford ONE sports car so it will ALWAYS be a Porsche.
the new Z06 is a fantastic performer and value! It also looks and sounds
pretty good! If I could have a few cars it probably would be one of them.

Congrats Bluehinder, and like you fake or real, they look fantastic to me.

Marty K
Old 06-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

I can afford it and I still bought the Z06. I could aslo afford the 430 and ddin't get one of those either. I love being able to put a ton of miles on it, leave it out in the rain and sun, get it all dirty and not give a damn. When i'm spending 125k+ I feel bad about doing that.
that's terrible, why that's why you're missing the main reason to buy a TT: nothing is more sure footed safer and faster in the wet, in the snow, in the gravel, in the mud.

i loved my Z06, even kept if for 8 months. but if i tried to run miles of muddy dirt roads in that, i'd be in the ditch in 5 seconds, but in a TT [996] i could do it as long as i chose, or til i got home. you can push a TT in the wet, in a Z you better back off... etc, etc...

if you live where is rains, snows or use dirt roads, the TT massively outeprforms the Z, and that's a 996 tt.

the 997 tt also needs to be dirty as it's so ugly, mud will improve its looks
Old 06-06-2006, 07:05 PM
355Spider
Advanced

Originally Posted by watt
that's terrible, why that's why you're missing the main reason to buy a TT: nothing is more sure footed safer and faster in the wet, in the snow, in the gravel, in the mud.

i loved my Z06, even kept if for 8 months. but if i tried to run miles of muddy dirt roads in that, i'd be in the ditch in 5 seconds, but in a TT [996] i could do it as long as i chose, or til i got home. you can push a TT in the wet, in a Z you better back off... etc, etc...

if you live where is rains, snows or use dirt roads, the TT massively outeprforms the Z, and that's a 996 tt.

the 997 tt also needs to be dirty as it's so ugly, mud will improve its looks
I think it's pretty good looking. It's pretty nice weather where I live most of the time so that wouldn't be too much of an advantage for me. I would just feel bad about driving it as much as I drive my Z. I would hate to put 15K+ miles on it a year.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:24 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it's pretty good looking. It's pretty nice weather where I live most of the time so that wouldn't be too much of an advantage for me. I would just feel bad about driving it as much as I drive my Z. I would hate to put 15K+ miles on it a year.
I couldn't think of anything better than putting 15K miles on it in a year.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Trip
Advanced

The 7:43 time acheived by the Z06 is the subject of much debate, most believe it was done with tires different than the run flat ones offered as stock. It is also believed different suspension settings were used. The 997 turbo achieved 7:42 with available cup tires which are probably similar to those that were used by the Z06 to achieve its best time. It would definitely come down to the driver if these two cars ever raced, unless it was wet!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:26 AM
355Spider
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trip
The 7:43 time acheived by the Z06 is the subject of much debate, most believe it was done with tires different than the run flat ones offered as stock. It is also believed different suspension settings were used. The 997 turbo achieved 7:42 with available cup tires which are probably similar to those that were used by the Z06 to achieve its best time. It would definitely come down to the driver if these two cars ever raced, unless it was wet!
So we should believe Porsche but we shouldn't believe GM when it comes to ring times. The only people that it's subject of debate with is the people that don't want to believe a Corvette is that good. Sounds like sour grapes to me. The chief engineer Dave Hill has said multiple times that the car that ran the ring was a stock car with run flats. One exactly as you would drive off the showroom floor.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KA
GM purchased at least 2 996TT's when they started development of the Z06 as that was their "benchmark", GM was very upfront in mentioning this is previous interviews and etc.

Somehow I don't think Porsche purchased any Corvettes when they started development of any previous or current TT.

This I can vouch for. I saw at least 1 running around at the GM Milford Proving grounds. Although.... they spoke poorly about the 996tt...... I know it saw A LOT of abuse.

Quick Reply: 997tt vs. Z06: affect your decision?