Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997tt vs. Z06: affect your decision?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:18 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's a troll. It has nothing to do with whether he prefers the Chevy or the p-car. Nobody is offended and nobody would care the least if he just came out and said the Z06 is faster and, I think, better so I'm going to buy one. But he doesn't do that. Instead he pretends to have an interest in the p-car and then bashes it at every opportunity. It's dishonest. Here's a sampling of his comments:

"Maybe I should go with an M5 until the Turbo S is released,

I've read in several articles that the 997tt is muted/quiet as stock.

1. Exterior design concerns - fog lights, wheels, exhaust location, LED's.
2. Muted Exhaust
3. Overproduction - very painful depreciation curve.
4. Lack of Porsche enthusiast enthusiasm - yes, I surf several boards and I sense an overwhelming amout of doubt, fence sitting, and lack of robust enthusiasm for the car.
5. Almost twice the price but still slower than a Z06 in many performance areas.
6. It's very heavy, practically a GT now, not a sports car.
7. AWD (but not sure if fair to add here)

Sounds like someone who has always aspired to have a 911 turbo but is bothered that other manufacturers are producing cars that perform just as well at a fraction of the cost.

If the 997 tt can't keep up with the Z06 in many areas of comparison, will this affect your purchase decision? I'm thinking 0-60, 0-100, slalom, braking, times at the 'ring, etc.

Shouldn't turbo owners deserve a car that is at least as good as the Z06 if they're paying almost twice as much for the car? Isn't Porsche the benchmark? Or does Chevy have that honor now?

What if the 997tt does NOT outperform the Z06?
Would that affect your decision?
Shouldn't Porsche be the benchmark, not Chevy? Wouldn't you be bothered that Porsche made this turbo (knowing all along what the Z06 can do) and yet they came up with a car that is about the same or slightly behind the Z06 in performance?

What about this scenerio?
Sorry but I'm skeptical that Porsche has or is going to pull it off.

So, if Porsche goes the way of Ferrari in this regard, by not quite keeping up with the competition (yet having a loyal fan base willing to pay big bucks for the cars anyway), will this deter you from buying Porsche in the future?"
Old 06-10-2006, 05:03 PM
355Spider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blue you're a true car guy.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

I second 355Spider. Blue, you're a TRUE car guy.

I want to give a comment as a 997S owner for 8 months and had tracked it once. For someone who enjoy driving, speed and handling is the top priority in car buying. But I would like to ask everyone how much performance is adequate? are we ever satisfied?

We are not race cars driver, and we mainly use our cars in the city. When we track our cars, we go there to have fun, but not to beat everyone else. I honestly don't feel that we can use the true performance of a Z06 and 997TT. I even feel that the performance of my 997S is more than adequate (maybe I'm not driving as fast as you guys). The performance numbers on magazines are great for leisure reading and car talks between friends, but not important for daily driving purposes.

I have deposit on 997TT (which I think is the best overall sport car), but I likely will not get it for the above reason - that a 997S is adequate (yesterday I was driving along my friend's stock 993TT on a Porsche event and I could keep up with him up to 100mph - both of us are trying our best).

Happy Motoring!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:11 AM
Gilbasa
Advanced

Your right,

We probably will never the full potential of out 997TT. But we still need to know where our cars stand among the competition. I feel it is our duty to deffend the 997 TT when people outside try to dishonnor its reputation. The folloeing thread is from the "Negatives of the 997TT" which should have been placed here. It is a defense against Aaron's original question. "997TT Vs. ZO6: Affect your decision?" I think you will find it most onteresting.
I tend to agree with boolala. I don't necessarilly think he is a troll... but I do question his motives. First of all He is all over Rennlist asking the same questions to everyone, getting all sorts of good advice yet he is still asking the same underhanded Porsche bashing questions. Second, I don't quite know where he is getting his information from. His quote: "the 997TT is slower than a Z06 in many performance areas" ??? Every article and test I've read says the ZO6 is great, but not as great as he thinks it is. Maybe he works for Chevrolet? The new 997TT from all the article I've read pretty much smokes the competition, and thats before we have really got some good #'s and valid testing done. For Example the quickest times R&T got with the ZO6 is 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and the 1/4mile in 12.2 sec. Not even comming close to the #'s Porsche put out for the 997TT, Here is a quote from Automobile Magazine about the new TT, "The net result is an all-weather interceptor that outaccelerates all Austin Martins and BMW's, plus the Chevrolet Corvette ZO6, the Ferrari F430, and the Lamborghini Galardo." MotorTrend Got un-officially 0-60 in 3.2 sec and a 1/4mile in 11.4 sec. on snow tires!!! Are these Magazines lying??? I think this guy has no idea what he's talking about. He likes to hang out on different sites and underhandidly bash everyone else. He definitly has a hidden agenda. I can't believe no one else can see through this. Aaron, why don't you go and test drive a ZO6 and a 996TT or better yet a 996GT-2 to get a comparo of Cevy vs. Porsche while you are waiting for your 997TT? It will give you the most subjective answer to a lot of your questions.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:32 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

The Z06 is a sharp looking and very fast car. As mentioned before, I did test drive it and came close to buying one. I liked it, and I can see why others like it, but I won't be buying one. The car is not a good fit for my personality and style. I like lots of cars - the Aston Martin DB9, Ferraris, etc. but these cars just don't seem "correct" for me.

I prefer the engineering and technological advances of the Porsche products, and in general, I prefer German built cars. I have tried many other manufacturers, but I keep coming back to MB, BMW and Porsche.

It's a mind set. When you buy a Porsche, you are not just getting a "car", you are buying into a culture and an unparalleled heritage. Porsche just seems like the "genuine article".
Old 06-12-2006, 03:21 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Boo is right, as was I when I first "breached" this baloney

The kid is a troll. Shows up dissing TT's and carries a clapped-out M3 badge as his avatar.

1) I sincerely doubt he has a deposit on any Porsche
2) I sincerely doubt he could afford a 997TT

No serious car purchaser would continue in post after post to be negative and put down a deposit. Just totally inconsistant conduct.

Kid, enjoy whatever car you drive. Stay on the porch until you can run with the Big Dogs, economically and intellectually.

Don't even bother with some BS response, OK?
Old 06-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
I prefer the engineering and technological advances of the Porsche products, and in general, I prefer German built cars. I have tried many other manufacturers, but I keep coming back to MB, BMW and Porsche.

It's a mind set. ".
really tells how poorly P is faring, when you connect them to those 2 has been brands.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:53 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

geez this thread is getting harsh
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2006, 06:09 PM
355Spider
Advanced

Originally Posted by allegretto

The kid is a troll. Shows up dissing TT's and carries a clapped-out M3 badge as his avatar.

No serious car purchaser would continue in post after post to be negative and put down a deposit. Just totally inconsistant conduct.

Kid, enjoy whatever car you drive. Stay on the porch until you can run with the Big Dogs, economically and intellectually.

I do think, that is one of the great things about not only Porsche but Ferrari as well as Corvette is thier racing history and heritage. All three marks have a ton of History behind them that makes the owner feel more connected to the manufacturer, the culture and it's history. I mean Lamborghinis are very cool but you don't get the feeling that you get when you are driving a Ferrari and you know Michael Schumacher has personally helped to tune this car to it's potential. The same can be said for Walter Rohl and Porsche. It's really hard to fault any of these cars. They are all great to drive and even better to own. It's a great time to be a car guy. I wish I could have one of each and every model.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Spider
...I wish I could have one of each and every model.
Ain't THAT the truth!
I'm 6 months into my first Porsche (having wanted one since,...oh, a long long time ago), and I truly love every minute I get to spend behind the wheel.
I'm hoping there's a 2009 orange TT with PDK with my name on it !!!!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:55 PM
355Spider
Advanced

Originally Posted by Coochas
Ain't THAT the truth!
I'm 6 months into my first Porsche (having wanted one since,...oh, a long long time ago), and I truly love every minute I get to spend behind the wheel.
I'm hoping there's a 2009 orange TT with PDK with my name on it !!!!!!
Sounds good to me. I'll take one as well.
I want to drive my Z06 daily. In the afetrnoons I would like to take my TT to workout. Then I would like to take the Carrera GT or the Enzo to dinner with the lady. And of course I would save the Stradale and GT3 for track days. And I savor the Murcielago Roadster for the top down cruising on the weekend. Now if I could just get my fantasy life to match up with reality i'd be set.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:35 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 355Spider
I do think, that is one of the great things about not only Porsche but Ferrari as well as Corvette is thier racing history and heritage. All three marks have a ton of History behind them that makes the owner feel more connected to the manufacturer, the culture and it's history. I mean Lamborghinis are very cool but you don't get the feeling that you get when you are driving a Ferrari and you know Michael Schumacher has personally helped to tune this car to it's potential. The same can be said for Walter Rohl and Porsche. It's really hard to fault any of these cars. They are all great to drive and even better to own. It's a great time to be a car guy. I wish I could have one of each and every model.
Right on the Money!!!

When i went oin to buy my 997 C4S they had a 06 Z 06 with 183 mi on the floor in a beautiful blue.

I briefly considered buying both and keeping the Z for just the summer. They were asking $76K, and I figured WTF, I won't loose much.

Then I considered my particular personality. I'm a collector of very fine vintage watches and guitars. I have found that if I buy two or more at once, I don't "bond" with any of them and ultimately end up not likeing either sufficently.

Therefore I made a rule a few years ago, ONE AT A TIME. I can of course possess more than one, but I can only buy one at a time. I find I enjoy them more this way. I get to know each of them well. Maybe it's just me or something, but it works for me.

Two days later, the Vette was gone...
Old 06-12-2006, 11:26 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by watt
really tells how poorly P is faring, when you connect them to those 2 has been brands.

For two "has been" brands, you gotta admit that the folks still sell a lot of cars! And the E55 ain't exactly chopped liver ...
Old 06-12-2006, 11:46 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allegretto

Big Dog? This is "Sky", checks in at 230lbs. and he really is a BIG DOG:

He doesn't have to let everyone know he's a big dog. That's because he is. How's that for intellectual?

And as far as Aaron being a troll, it's time to ease up and cut the fella some slack. Let's not be so quick to judge who can afford this or that.

Why can't all us "Big Dogs" just get along?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:48 PM
sal
Addict
Rennlist Member

I do not understand these run ons and on and on ..........
I thought the purchase of a Porsche was a special experience. I know when I park my car in town people still stop and you can see them mouth, this is a
P-O-R-S-C-H-E T-U-R-B-O. I still feel special driving my car and this is my 4th P-car. I think I could have bought a Vette anyone of those 4 times . I even drove one before getting my 1st P-car. It did not feel right for me, a beautiful car , just not right for me. I never bought my TT because I thought there would never be a car for less money that might be faster. My son drives a Subie STI that he has had remapped and it will probably shame many a 997S. So what.
The new Vettes are great cars in my opinion but they will never be a Porsche. A really fast ,lightweight, road hugging, machine but never a Porsche. Stop the madness , buy what you want and let this forum focus on the performance qualities of our cars and how to get the most out of them.
Plus the guy who started this thread has been doing this for the last 2 months. If he isn't happy with the performance of a TT he can buy whatever he likes and go on that forum.

Quick Reply: 997tt vs. Z06: affect your decision?