Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler set to "Fixed"

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2024 | 12:17 AM
32-bit
6th Gear

Angry Spoiler set to "Fixed"

I'm a new 997.1TT 6-speed owner. I purchased the car from a dealer and it seemed to be well sorted, except the spoiler button and LED did not work. I've read that the button panel can fail and since I'm into the dash for replacing the radio, I removed it and it checked out fine. Researching the problem further, I learned that if the spoiler setting is set to "Fixed" in the rear control module, I'll get the symptoms that I've been observing. I bought a Foxwell NT530 to check and sure enough, the spoiler was set to "Fixed".

After changing it to "Retractable", the button started to function and the spoiler worked. However, I quickly received a "Failure Spoiler control" message. The message is repeated in red above 75MPH.

I'm thinking that I was sold a car with an important safety system disabled because it was cheaper than a proper repair. Is there any other reason that the spoiler setting would be set to "Fixed" ? The car is still under a short dealer warranty. How would you proceed? Thanks.

Last edited by 32-bit; 09-25-2024 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-25-2024 | 12:35 AM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32-bit
I'm a new 997.1TT 6-speed owner. I purchased the car from a dealer and it seemed to be well sorted, except the spoiler button and LED did not work. I've read that the button panel can fail and since I'm into the dash for replacing the radio, I removed it and it checked out fine. Researching the problem further, I learned that if the spoiler setting is set to "Fixed" in the rear control module, I'll get the symptoms that I've been observing. I bought a Foxwell NT530 to check and sure enough, the spoiler was set to "Fixed".

After changing it to "Retractable", the button started to function and the spoiler worked. However, I quickly received a "Failure Spoiler control" message. The message is repeated in red above 75MPH.

I'm thinking that I was sold a car with an important safety system disabled because it was cheaper than a proper repair. Is there any other reason that the spoiler setting would be set to "Fixed" ? The car is still under a short dealer warranty. How would you proceed? Thanks.
Mine is currently set to “fixed” for that very reason. I think I just need to bleed the system (at least that’s what I’m hoping) as I have no visible leaks. If you still have some kind of warranty and want the spoiler to operate as it should, certainly bring it to the dealer’s attention. It’s an expensive part to replace with OEM. Even sending the hydraulics out to someone who has the knowledge and ability to rebuild them will cost close to $2k. Definitely worth seeing what the dealer is willing to do to keep a happy customer. Good luck!

- Nick
The following 3 users liked this post by truekraut:
32-bit (09-25-2024), cjcam930 (09-25-2024), moxie (SF) (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 09:50 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Get it fixed while you can. That will be upwards of $3000+ at the dealer. We are hearing that parts are in short supply however. So the dealers are turning to our eRam setup. https://rennkit.com/product-info/997turbo/
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
The following 2 users liked this post by RennKit-Dave:
32-bit (09-25-2024), Kevin8tor (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 11:50 AM
Kevin8tor
Racer

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
Get it fixed while you can. That will be upwards of $3000+ at the dealer. We are hearing that parts are in short supply however. So the dealers are turning to our eRam setup. https://rennkit.com/product-info/997turbo/
I installed the RennKit rams over 3 years ago and they are working like champs! Install was straight forward and the instructions were easy to follow. Best part is I have a cab and the wing was invisible to me when raised to the factory spec height, I got the slightly higher rams from Dave and now I can see the wing when it's at full mast.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin8tor:
32-bit (09-25-2024), RennKit-Dave (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 07:29 PM
32-bit
6th Gear

Thank you all for the responses. That looks like a really nice system, @RennKit-Dave. Depending on how this turns out, I may be ordering the 100mm version.

To be clear, I bought the car from an independent shop/dealer specializing in Porsche, not a Porsche dealer. I got a call from the owner today (who daily drives a 997TT) and it's not looking great, but I'm supposed to hear back again tomorrow.

When I told him that disabling the spoiler and related warning was dangerous, he asked why I'm driving over 75MPH.

Am I wrong to think any decent indie shop should:
  1. Know about the fixed/retractable setting?
  2. Know that the spoiler is supposed to rise when you push the button?
  3. Check the function of the spoiler on a car approaching $100K and disclose defects?
Old 09-25-2024 | 07:40 PM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the responses. That looks like a really nice system, @RennKit-Dave. Depending on how this turns out, I may be ordering the 100mm version.

To be clear, I bought the car from an independent shop/dealer specializing in Porsche, not a Porsche dealer. I got a call from the owner today (who daily drives a 997TT) and it's not looking great, but I'm supposed to hear back again tomorrow.

When I told him that disabling the spoiler and related warning was dangerous, he asked why I'm driving over 75MPH.

3. Check the function of the spoiler on a car approaching $100K and disclose defects?
Yes, to all above. A decent shop should know that, especially if the owner DDs a 997TT. Also, it’s not his business how you drive the car (IMO). The fact is that functionality was turned off, most likely because the spoiler isn’t working, and I’m assuming it wasn’t disclosed to you. The shop may not do anything about, which would be unfortunate, but you brining it to their attention at least gives them the opportunity to try to make things right.
The following 2 users liked this post by truekraut:
32-bit (09-25-2024), moxie (SF) (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 10:38 PM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

If they don't fix it (I would accept the eram kit as a suitable fix as well), take them to small claims court.

When I bought my car from an independent high end dealer in Florida, I had a few issues that weren't disclosed, the owner of the dealership worked with me and got them all resolved. Thats what a good dealer should do.

Last edited by moxie (SF); 09-25-2024 at 10:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by moxie (SF):
32-bit (09-25-2024), RennKit-Dave (09-26-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 10:51 PM
32-bit
6th Gear

Originally Posted by moxie (SF)
If they don't fix it (I would accept the eram kit as a suitable fix as well), take them to small claims court.

When I bought my car from an independent high end dealer in Florida, I had a few issues that weren't disclosed, the owner of the dealership worked with me and got them all resolved. Thats what a good dealer should do.
It looks like the best potential offer is a "goodwill repair", where the dealer bills at-cost. The spoiler is not covered under the warranty because it's not considered powertrain. If that's the case, I'd rather do the work myself.
Old 09-26-2024 | 08:58 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

1. Probably. We have seen many creative means used to circumvent the spoiler and associated warning.
2. Obvious.
3. Yes. I bought an ‘07 turbo that the owner disclosed had an intermittent spoiler. That was a lie. After removing the wing and dead hydraulics it was obvious it hadn’t worked for many years. Avatar picture to the left.

Last edited by RennKit-Dave; 09-26-2024 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
32-bit (09-26-2024)
Old 09-26-2024 | 09:13 AM
Kevin8tor
Racer

That owner is a absolute prixxk! Sells you a 997TT then shames you for using it as it's intended and expecting it to work as intended.....WTF?!
32-bit (09-26-2024)
Old 09-26-2024 | 10:00 AM
tonupbklyn
Rennlist Member

LOL!!!

dave's rennkit...get it...set it...forget it.
The following 3 users liked this post by tonupbklyn:
32-bit (09-26-2024), babylonboots (09-29-2024), RennKit-Dave (09-27-2024)
Old 09-26-2024 | 11:40 AM
Boozted997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tonupbklyn
LOL!!!

dave's rennkit...get it...set it...forget it.
100% agree with this. Had issues with my stock eRams and decided to go with the Rennkit and it works great!
The following 2 users liked this post by Boozted997:
32-bit (09-26-2024), RennKit-Dave (09-27-2024)
Old 09-28-2024 | 12:52 AM
32-bit
6th Gear

After our first conversation, the owner did some research, found out how common spoiler failures are, and that no warnings >75MPH doesn't mean the spoiler is necessarily working. He apologized and will be cutting me a check.

@RennKit-Dave My spoiler works for a few cycles before throwing an error. I noticed that the extension time is about two seconds. On your page for the 100mm version, the extension time is listed as 11 seconds. Since this is significantly slower, is this a problem for automatic operation?
Old 09-28-2024 | 01:23 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

After our first conversation, the owner did some research, found out how common spoiler failures are, and that no warnings >75MPH doesn't mean the spoiler is necessarily working. He apologized and will be cutting me a check.

@RennKit-Dave My spoiler works for a few cycles before throwing an error. I noticed that the extension time is about two seconds. On your page for the 100mm version, the extension time is listed as 11 seconds. Since this is significantly slower, is this a problem for automatic operation?
That is for the standard speed (slow) version. Scroll down for the optional SuperFast version at about 4 seconds for the 4" or 4.8" lift eRam systems. It is faster than the hydraulic system. The car's programmed delay cycle time is about 12 - 13 seconds up and a couple minutes down.
32-bit (09-28-2024)
Old 09-28-2024 | 02:10 AM
32-bit
6th Gear

@RennKit-Dave Does the SuperFast version drive the motors beyond their rated voltage?

Quick Reply: Spoiler set to "Fixed"