Sponsored by:

Backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 10:02 AM
jfort
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Backup Camera

In conjunction with adding a Mr12V to the PCCM, I am thinking of adding an aftermarket backup camera. Has anyone done it? Where did you mount the camera and how did you run the wire forward.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:25 AM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 173 Posts

I have a backup and a front camera....didn't want to break any of the trim inside so I had a shop do the install........camera was mounted just above the rear license plate ...car is in storage right now. The cables were run through the passenger side upper door trim and then through the rear bulkhead and taillight from what I remember.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:06 PM
mrkrtl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did it. Installed a PCCM+ myself and enjoyed doing it. I now have rear backup and front forward "looking for curb" cameras. The camera sold by O'Reilly works well: Universal Backup Camera Part # XCAM100 UPC: # 827204112830. Also this one from Amazon works well: "AUTO-VOX Backup/Front View Camera, 180° Super Wide Angle and Fisheye Correction 1080P Clear Night Vision Rear View Camera, IP69K Waterproof Universal Reverse Camera for Car,SUV,Truck Pickup,Camper,Van". This interface from Amazon worked well for me to switch from rear to front view: "Camera Converter, Smart Car Parking Camera Converter Front Rear View Video Switch Channel Control Box Adapter". Spend some money on an electrician's fishtape, the shortest you can find. Then, no matter how you run the wires, you will not be playing silly games with zip ties, or other pseudo wire pulling devices. The connecting wiring gets a little tricky, so take your time and be patient. Both cameras and interface cost me less than $100. One warning. Keep your rear license plate on. My 2007 911 Turbo license plate mounting was all the way to the top of the rear fender outer apron. When I was all done mounting the camera, I had to cut out a notch in the license plate to fit around the camera!
Old 03-12-2024, 01:58 PM
ab10
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrkrtl
Did it. Installed a PCCM+ myself and enjoyed doing it. I now have rear backup and front forward "looking for curb" cameras. The camera sold by O'Reilly works well: Universal Backup Camera Part # XCAM100 UPC: # 827204112830. Also this one from Amazon works well: "AUTO-VOX Backup/Front View Camera, 180° Super Wide Angle and Fisheye Correction 1080P Clear Night Vision Rear View Camera, IP69K Waterproof Universal Reverse Camera for Car,SUV,Truck Pickup,Camper,Van". This interface from Amazon worked well for me to switch from rear to front view: "Camera Converter, Smart Car Parking Camera Converter Front Rear View Video Switch Channel Control Box Adapter". Spend some money on an electrician's fishtape, the shortest you can find. Then, no matter how you run the wires, you will not be playing silly games with zip ties, or other pseudo wire pulling devices. The connecting wiring gets a little tricky, so take your time and be patient. Both cameras and interface cost me less than $100. One warning. Keep your rear license plate on. My 2007 911 Turbo license plate mounting was all the way to the top of the rear fender outer apron. When I was all done mounting the camera, I had to cut out a notch in the license plate to fit around the camera!
Any chance you have a video that you used to help guide this process?
Old 03-12-2024, 03:37 PM
LoveMyC4S
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also had the front and rear camera installed as part of CARPLAY upgrade module for my PCM 3.0 on my 09 TT. Unfortunately a shop did it and don’t have any how to videos, but I highly recommend this upgrade to the car. See pics below.

The following users liked this post:
ab10 (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 03:40 PM
LoveMyC4S
Intermediate

Here is the location of the cameras

The following users liked this post:
ab10 (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 03:44 PM
ab10
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveMyC4S
I also had the front and rear camera installed as part of CARPLAY upgrade module for my PCM 3.0 on my 09 TT. Unfortunately a shop did it and don’t have any how to videos, but I highly recommend this upgrade to the car. See pics below.

That's awesome - thank you for sharing. Love it! Pretty clean look for sure. How do you actually activate the cameras? Does the rear one go on automatically when you shift into Reverse?
Old 03-12-2024, 06:16 PM
LoveMyC4S
Intermediate

Yes! Immediately when in reverse and the front once in first gear and the speed increases it disappears.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera