Sponsored by:

Any CV boot fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 10:21 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Any CV boot fixes?

Has anybody found an easy method to repair a tiny tear in a CV boot? The axles still look new so I don't want to swap them if I don't have to. Swapping the boot is the next obvious option, but before I do I thought I'd ask if anybody has had luck with a split boot or patch? Thx!
Old 02-09-2024, 02:12 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Minor split on one, had the dealer replace both, and the axles.
At 100K+ miles, stuff happens, and I just get it done.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:02 PM
InspectorSeb
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Has anybody found an easy method to repair a tiny tear in a CV boot? The axles still look new so I don't want to swap them if I don't have to. Swapping the boot is the next obvious option, but before I do I thought I'd ask if anybody has had luck with a split boot or patch? Thx!
I tried a split boot, but the Doorman part I picked up from the local auto parts store was way too big, and cutting it down to size didn't seem to leave a proper sealing surface. Also the included clamps were too big.

Even if it worked I didn't get the impression it would be a long term solution; the material didn't have a whole lot of flex.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:17 AM
jacus83
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Front or back? You could do front easily in a weekend and that's really taking your time.

I just rebuild all 4 axles. Have a ton of pictures.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:22 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jacus83
Front or back? You could do front easily in a weekend and that's really taking your time.

I just rebuild all 4 axles. Have a ton of pictures.
One in the front and one in the back. Please post pics--I think I'm just going to replace the axles. When you say rebuilt, is that just replacing CV boots, or did you do something else besides replacing the axles?
Old 02-15-2024, 12:25 AM
jacus83
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would not purchase a new axle. They are super expensive, and really not worth it unless it is damaged beyond repair.

Buy a new boot from FCPEuro, and take apart the axle. Use a paint marker to mark how it was originally before you take it apart.

I have attached some torque specs and also guide on how to remove the front axle. I do not have one for the rear axle.

The guide is very lengthy, I only removed the bottom covers, wheel axle nut, roll bar link and main control arm bolt. You will need ball joint Seperator tool. 20 bucks on Amazon. The whole wheel assembly then just slides to the side and you can remove the axle.

You will need this one for both front and rear:
Amazon.com: ReluxGo 32mm Ball Joint Separator Tool Ball Joint Removal Tool for Separating Ball Joints Arms Tie Rods on Audi Benz Mazda : Automotive Amazon.com: ReluxGo 32mm Ball Joint Separator Tool Ball Joint Removal Tool for Separating Ball Joints Arms Tie Rods on Audi Benz Mazda : Automotive

There are quite few youtube videos on how to do it.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
File Type: pdf
WM 400119 R_I front axle.pdf (957.2 KB, 14 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by jacus83:
EVOMMM (02-15-2024), moxie (SF) (02-22-2024), Terry Adams (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 04:56 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

Hats off to the guys who can do this ^^
Old 02-15-2024, 05:37 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Ive done this a couple times on my front axles. Not very difficult (2nd time took me half the time as the first). The hardest part for me was putting the bearings and cage back together correctly. Oddly enough my best approach to this was to try for 10 mins, then take a break for a few mins come back and try again and repeat. Eventually it all falls together and works. I want to say if everything goes perfect you can do this in a couple hours. First time took me about 4 hours for one axle with an overnight break before getting the cv re-assembled. 2nd time it was under 2 hours I would say. The right tools help as well (long extension and impact to get the axle bolts out from outside the wheel well.

Take your time and its fairly easy. Just dont get too frustrated with the reassembly process.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:00 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 306 Posts

Porsche has a repair kit if the axles are ok. The dealerships use them. Suncoast has a kit. Think it is like $35.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (02-16-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 12:56 AM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 67 Posts

Just replace the boots, it's not a hard job at all. The boots are cheap, and the only special tool you need is a cv boot clamp, they aren't expensive. You'll futz around with the first one, trying to get all the ball bearings back in, but once you figure it out, the other side goes even faster.

No need to replace the entire axel, that's a waste of money. I also wouldn't try and repair the cracked one, I would just replace the boot.

Quick Reply: Any CV boot fixes?