Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 turbo with mods value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021 | 01:53 PM
Tjk
AutoX

Default 997.1 turbo with mods value?

Need help in deciding on purchasing first Porsche in 23 years. I had a couple of 911s and a 924s in the 90’s, and finally decided to pursue another. I’m looking at a 2007 997 turbo, manual, 23k miles, almost perfect. I can’t figure out fair market value because it has some mods: Evolution Motorsports 700 tune, aftermarket intercoolers, exhaust, and lowered. It’s price mid $80s, so appears to be right in line with asking prices. Basically how do the mods effect price? DME is weird, but I’ve been told it’s because of the tune, it’s in a previous thread. I had this thread in the NA 997 forums and they told me to come over here to ask. New user.
Old 02-22-2021 | 03:21 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Unless you are looking for these particular modifications, they don’t add value IMO. It has been said that tuned higher hp cars have a greater chance of spinning cam sleeves. Don’t know if that’s true, but it makes sense in a way.

I find that a car with modifications is usually driven to accentuate these add ons, usually not babied. Given the choice between a stock 23,000 mile car and a modified 23,000 mile car in the same condition, I would pick the stock car. You or your passenger may not like the sound of the exhaust or the bouncier ride if it is lowered too much, which will increase camber and tire wear if not done properly.

Given the used car market right now, the price is probably firm, and the car may be for you. Hopefully you can test drive it.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-22-2021 | 03:38 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Agree, most people that are modding cars would rather start with something that is relatively stock and pick the mods that they are doing themselves and know the history (that it was stock). However, an exhaust, or a really high quality set of aftermarket wheels along with the stock ones included, I'd say would add value.

May also be helpful to post what you mean specifically by a weird DME report. If just higher over revs, that would be expected with a tune. But if something else is strange, post it up here.
DrVolkl (02-27-2021)
Old 02-22-2021 | 03:44 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

I think objectively speaking, mods usually either reduce value or don't increase it. More subjectively, though, I'll take the opposite position of cdk4219 and say that if there are two equal cars in equal condition, but one has $10k in quality mods I'd do anyway, I'd pick the upgraded car. Of course, not all mods are equal, so some ugly wheels on a slammed suspension with a droney obnoxious exhaust will definitely not get that preferential treatment, but tasteful and reversible ones like you describe on that Turbo sound good to me and I'd even consider paying a small premium just to have all that work done for me already. I see it as a personal decision in that way.

Last edited by Skwerl; 02-22-2021 at 03:51 PM.
DrVolkl (02-27-2021)
Old 02-23-2021 | 04:43 AM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Those mods are all easily reversible, and pretty common (at the exhaust & tune), and upgraded IC's are great as well. Those aren't and shouldn't detract value from the car. Good luck with your search
Old 02-23-2021 | 07:27 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Quality mods... IC, Exhaust, Tune, Wheels, are all things that you will want to do anyway....

weird tint on lights, tinted front windshield, and any Miami vice looking mods, might be more of an indicator of a less than healthy lifestyle...and a bargaining tool to get a better price.

using OEM mods... (GT2 trim, sway bars, wheels, and OEM interior upgrades such as steering wheel, paddles, trim that could have been optioned) definitely add in my book.
9SIX4-C4 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021 | 10:14 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

It's pretty subjective as some prefer bone-stock cars, but I'm in the same camp that if I liked the mods and they were nice upgrades then I would see it as a plus, all other things being equal with the car's condition and mileage. I would inquire about the original take-off parts though as not having those would be a negative for me.
Old 02-23-2021 | 10:40 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Simple bolt on mods like exhaust/IC's are always welcome if good quality name parts. Mid 80's sounds about right, have the coolant fittings been welded or the cams pinned? If so then pretty worry free ownership from there out. If not then might be able to talk them down a little due to those items not being addressed.
Old 02-23-2021 | 02:35 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

If you like the color of the car, and the options and the price is amenable, I suggest you RUN DOWN THERE and buy it now. It could be gone in the next 5 minutes. These days, even in the winter, you never know. Many a deal on a 997 Turbo has been lost due to thinking, overthinking, stressing and waiting. The good news is, you'll never lose that much money on it if you sell it in a year. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2021 | 03:50 PM
Tjk
AutoX

Mods seem to be top quality, I spoke to Sam at EVOMS, and he remembers the car. I was looking for a car with limited slip, this one doesn't have it, but after reading about, it, seems that LSD isn't that great. Just has the Chrono package, pretty basic car. I guess i'll wait on the results of the PPI.
Old 02-23-2021 | 05:23 PM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by cyclrder
Quality mods... IC, Exhaust, Tune, Wheels, are all things that you will want to do anyway....

weird tint on lights, tinted front windshield, and any Miami vice looking mods, might be more of an indicator of a less than healthy lifestyle...and a bargaining tool to get a better price.

using OEM mods... (GT2 trim, sway bars, wheels, and OEM interior upgrades such as steering wheel, paddles, trim that could have been optioned) definitely add in my book.
Does painting your wheels white count as a Miami Vice mod? That's the exact look I was going for

Last edited by moxie (SF); 02-23-2021 at 10:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by moxie (SF):
DrVolkl (02-27-2021), PowderJunkie (02-23-2021)

Quick Reply: 997.1 turbo with mods value?