Sponsored by:

Underbody Damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 03:55 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Underbody Damage

My car was driven over a solid lump of clay/rock today, and while it fell apart in the process and missed all the vitals, it did scratch the undercarriage under the frunk etc.

I can’t quite tell what would be above this panel, and whether I need to consider an insurance claim for a full replace or if a repair of the underseal is enough (I’ve done this once before from another minor scrape).

A visit to Porsche is at least a week away as I’m currently road tripping, but interested in feedback from the masses before I take it in.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:20 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 146 Posts

My first thought is to try and repair it yourself so you don't end up with this as a black mark on the Carfax (assuming the car is currently accident free). Are you seeing any warning lights or feeling/hearing anything unusual after this happened?
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The 2 round circles I believe are the bottom of your frunk
Old 12-01-2020, 02:36 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Looks fine / road worthy.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:25 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks guys. Car runs, feels and drives fine - had to drive another 100km to get to our destination and didn’t notice anything, other than my increased stress levels. No warning lights or any other indicator of material damage.

The two circles do seem to be below the frunk, but not the luggage space - the centre of the frunk is about 30cm further forward (checked by removing the air pump). I think this is a little further back, just in front of or below the brake fluid reservoir etc.

Intention is to just get the underseal sorted out at this stage. It’s a relatively easy and cheap job for a decent paint shop. And I’m in NZ so no Carfax Have actually sold the car pending handover, but is going to a friend and want it to be in good shape beforehand.

Last edited by nzskater; 12-01-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:46 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 938 Likes on 567 Posts

In the first week of ownership of my new TT, I drove over a (US) football size rock on the highway 1 coast in CA.

Was in a driving rainstorm, poor visibility, a big SUV behind me, a blind curve in front with about a 1K foot drop off.

The underside of the car did its job and pulverized the rock. Damage not quite as bad as yours, but what scared me was the oil pressure did an instant drop when the car bounced up. Came back right away as the oil flowed back down.

I wouldn't do anything to it, just show the friend you are selling it to.
Old 07-22-2023, 05:17 AM
rey.fasc
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

On a similar note - yesterday at night I ended up driving over a dead deer on the highway, I saw it at the very last second so I couldn't avoid it

It caused a large dent in the underbody, underneath the frunk. I know this part is welded to the chassis, is there a risk this could have caused some more structural damage to the car?
Old 07-23-2023, 08:54 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 169 Posts

Not in my 997.2TT but one of my older Turbos I actually ran over a couch in the fast lane on the freeway outside of Charlotte one Feb in a construction zone. Similar damage to both of your cars, huge jump in the air, same oil pressure event but no damage other than undercarriage removal and dent. Dealer went over it with a fine tooth comb. It was not a blem on my insurance (State Farm) because it was caused by a furniture flatbed losing it's load. My car was the least damaged if you could believe it. Dinette, Couch, loveseat, and end tables littered the highway in a matter of seconds. I believe the semi in front of me which ran over the couch first then launched it into my lane softened it up a bit. Still busted out the passenger window and one headlight for a 4 hour 20 degree ride home at 2AM.

Think you guys will be more than fine. Just my 2cS
Cheers Mike

Quick Reply: Underbody Damage