Sponsored by:

My "new" 997.2 Turbo S.....or how to be happier with something older

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 10:14 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Oh my gosh, thank goodness these are here! Ahhhhh, so much better. Lol.

The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (09-25-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 10:35 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Took the car out last night for some very spirited highway driving. My first takeaway was that it needs some more stability. Second takeaway is my god, this thing is WAY too quiet from the engine / exhaust!
Big Swole (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 11:24 AM
lflouie
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

There are straight forward solutions to those points. Set your car up the way you want it. It's a great car with loads of potential...enjoy.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Indeed. These are pretty straightforward solutions. Just takes some money and a good shop.

Going to start with DSC and a good alignment.
Big Swole (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Indeed. These are pretty straightforward solutions. Just takes some money and a good shop.

Going to start with DSC, a good alignment, and a EUROPIPE!.

Fixed it for ya! lol

Good Idea BTW!!

Old 10-01-2020, 01:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Fixed it for ya! lol

Good Idea BTW!!

Lol, feel free to send me the $4,500.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:45 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

It's in the mail!

Totally worth it though
Email / PM Stef. Just talk with him.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:52 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Needscaf, another alternative to europipe is the sharkwerks X pipe (https://www.sharkwerks.com/exhaust/p...urbo-s-SHAX329), which leaves the stock cats, can be installed at home, and costs 1/3 the price. I've seen some for sale used in the classifies for under $1,000 (I got mine from a fellow rennlister for about $900). It may not be as loud as the europipe, but for me the sound is perfect with ZERO drone at any RPM. And interestingly, although sharkwerks does not claim a HP increase in the 997.2 system, they do advertise the 991.1/2 system (which has essentially the same engine and virtually identical Xpipe design) as getting a 30 HP bump at the wheels. see here https://www.sharkwerks.com/exhaust/p...urbo-s-SHAX422. So you'll likely get a small bump in power as well as a 9 LB weight reduction.

So for under $3K, you can get a DSC and X pipe new, under $2K is buy used. DSC, highly recommended at it magic carpet changes the car and is great for track use as well.

Last edited by tango131; 10-01-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:57 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tango131
Needscaf, another alternative to europipe is the sharkwerks X pipe (https://www.sharkwerks.com/exhaust/p...urbo-s-SHAX329), which leaves the stock cats, can be installed at home, and costs 1/3 the price. I've seen some for sale used in the classifies for under $1,000 (I got mine from a fellow rennlister for about $900). It may not be as loud as the europipe, but for me the sound is perfect with ZERO drone at any RPM. And interestingly, although sharkwerks does not claim a HP increase in the 997.2 system, they do advertise the 991.1/2 system (which has essentially the same engine and virtually identical Xpipe design) as getting a 30 HP bump at the wheels. see here https://www.sharkwerks.com/exhaust/p...urbo-s-SHAX422. So you'll likely get a small bump in power as well as a 9 LB weight reduction.

So for under $3K, you can get a DSC and X pipe new, under $2K is buy used. DSC, highly recommended at it magic carpet changes the car and is great for track use as well.

Good to know. I'm very surprised that he Sharky x-pipe has no drone since it's a simple crossover without a true x-pipe connection, and non-resonated at that. Or did they change the design?
Some other options there besides the full exhaust. Soul has an x-pipe that's got two resonators at a pricey $2,400. Speedtech's got a true x-pipe without resonators for a more reasonable $1,600. Fabspeed's in the middle at $2,000 and theirs has FOUR resonators. So options a plenty for sure!

I have definitely been keeping a daily eye on the classifieds.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 10-01-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:55 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Good to know. I'm very surprised that he Sharky x-pipe has no drone since it's a simple crossover without a true x-pipe connection, and non-resonated at that. Or did they change the design?
Some other options there besides the full exhaust. Soul has an x-pipe that's got two resonators at a pricey $2,400. Speedtech's got a true x-pipe without resonators for a more reasonable $1,600. Fabspeed's in the middle at $2,000 and theirs has FOUR resonators. So options a plenty for sure!

I have definitely been keeping a daily eye on the classifieds.
The sharky is a true simple cross over. No idea how/why it does not drone, but it doesn't...even in auto mode, 7th gear 1200 RPMs, no drone. I hate obnoxious "fart can" exhausts, and for me it's perfect sound and tone. Probably about same or a bit less loud than a regular 991.1 carrera (s) non turbo with PSE. Nice and aggressive without being obnoxious. And the tone does change a bit between normal and sport button mode. Obviously no valves in the xpipe, but the tone change must be related to the ecu mapping of sports button. You are in TX, see if you can find someone local to take you for a ride. I would offer, but I'm in Chicago. I'm happy to send you iphone recorded sounds clips if it helps. Although I think the youtube video in the sharky website sounds about right to me if listened through good head phones or home audio.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:43 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's killing me that I got my DSC controller yesterday and wasn't able to dedicate enough time to put it in and take it for a drive. Dang it! Come on Friday evening!
Old 10-09-2020, 11:55 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 692 Posts

Here is my attempt at a review video to fill some time before you get to test it out for yourself. I'm looking forward to your feedback on the controller, it has made quite a difference in the daily drivability and I find myself actually using sport suspension mode now.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:04 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Also, I notice how significantly the exhaust changes when in Sport / Sport plus. It's crazy, when I first drove a 997.2 I was convinced that there was a valved exhaust based on how much the exhaust volume and tone changes in Sport mode. Then I learned it's literally all coming from the ECU changing ignition / fuel / valve timing, etc. as you already knew.

I've noticed that even with a stock exhaust, when in Sport / Sport plus, the note can get pretty boomy. It borders on drone, but I wouldn't call it out that harshly. But it is pretty boomy. I can see how an uncorked exhaust, if not well engineered, could have a lot of drone. And I know why that TTS I drove with full Fabspeed system had so much drone.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Here is my attempt at a review video to fill some time before you get to test it out for yourself. I'm looking forward to your feedback on the controller, it has made quite a difference in the daily drivability and I find myself actually using sport suspension mode now.

Thanks Jeff. I've definitely watched it and it helped me pull the trigger on buying one. I'm looking forward to getting it in and giving a full review.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So, I installed the DSC controller on Saturday morning. Install was pretty easy once I understood how to release the tab on the bottom. I ended up removing the right most screw holding the foam cover on which made it easier. Took less than 5 minutes.

I bought the DSC mainly for the ride quality improvements, to be perfectly honest. The roads in the Houston area are primarily concrete. They move so expansion joint “thwack” is common, same with cracks. I’ll likely never track the car, and there are unfortunately not a huge amount of twistes around here. Two weeks ago I took a 200 mile round trip which convinced me some additional suspension comfort was needed. The 997 is raw with older tech, and that includes the suspension control systems. I needed the car to give a little, but still remain sharp and not become a boat.

I drove the car about 80 miles yesterday and 50 today. Took it on highways, back roads, and higher speed local roads. Does it work?

Resoundingly, yes. That’s my first thought.

Secind thought is, wow, finally I can use Sport mode.

Yes, the DSC works, and it works well. No, it doesn’t turn the car into an S class. The car is still a sports car, and it’s still stiffly sprung. But it really does a good job in taking the edge off. Funnily enough, since the shocks are a little softer in normal mode, you get a little more of that characteristic 911 nose bob over bumps that the standard PASM doesn’t allow. It’s honestly bordering on too soft and if my roads were a little better, I’d probably stiffen it up. But as it is, so far, it’s an excellent improvement.

the best thing is that it’s so much more reactive. You jam on the brakes and there is as little, if not less dive than stock. Put it in Sport, and there’s even less dive. Swing the wheel into a corner and that side stiffens up and the car noses into the corner much keener than before.

Sport mode is still usable. It turns up the wick and keeps the car more under control, but the ride is still tolerable. It’s stiff, but not crashy. Even over sharp impacts. Throwing it through some twisties, the car definitely feels more planted.

Overall a highly worthwhile mod. Really makes a huge difference. And I haven’t even played with the maps yet.
Big Swole (10-12-2020)

Quick Reply: My "new" 997.2 Turbo S.....or how to be happier with something older