Sponsored by:

Semi Solid Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 09:58 AM
listnner
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Semi Solid Engine Mounts

Was looking at semi solid engine mounts (65 -75 shores) for 2008 car, but my tuner has discouraged. Says it can trigger knock sensors and pull timing.
65 shores would be the softest of semi-solids and I thought knock sensors would only trigger with the stiffer semi solids or solid mounts ?
Old 08-13-2020, 10:27 AM
lflouie
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by listnner
Was looking at semi solid engine mounts (65 -75 shores) for 2008 car, but my tuner has discouraged. Says it can trigger knock sensors and pull timing.
65 shores would be the softest of semi-solids and I thought knock sensors would only trigger with the stiffer semi solids or solid mounts ?
Have you considered the Function First modified oem mounts? They use the stock mount but have the internal rubber voids filled with silicone, thus reducing the flex but minimizing nvh and potential interference with sensors.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:49 AM
listnner
Instructor

Originally Posted by lflouie
Have you considered the Function First modified oem mounts? They use the stock mount but have the internal rubber voids filled with silicone, thus reducing the flex but minimizing nvh and potential interference with sensors.
Thanks, did not think of those. Have you got them and how do you find them ?
Old 08-13-2020, 01:06 PM
lflouie
Racer

Thanks, did not think of those. Have you got them and how do you find them ?
Google FUNCTION FIRST or sometimes they list items on eBay...I got them directly from FF.

Yes, I have the basic FF stage 1 upgraded oem engine mounts on my 997.1tt 6spd. They do a very nice job of controlling engine movement, providing a "bolted down" feeling to the drive train and without any noticeable increase in nvh....perfect for my spirited street use. Having ridden in a friend's 997tt with semi- solid mounts, I didn't like the excessive nvh. It might have felt slightly tighter at 9/10s but for anything other than track or autox, they were simply unnecessarily harsh, IMO.

Bc my 14k MI 13 yr old car was still on original mounts, I also decided to replace the entire factory transmission mount adding FF stage 1 inserts. They make 2 stiffness levels, I chose the softest "stage 1" versions and it works great.

Adding the FF stage 1 engine mounts and transmission inserts along with a new oem trans/mount, made a big difference in the car....drives better, handles better, shifts better, seems to respond better....highly recommend.

TOTAL cost for all the parts was $800.

The following users liked this post:
Rig.Stunts (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 03:40 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Lflouie--Thanks for the information. I have been tempted to do this to my 49k almost 12 year old car and was concerned about NVH.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:48 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

I think the knock sensor stuff applies to solids or maybe the hardest setting Rennline adjustables. My first mod was some Wevo semi-solids (same as RSS I believe), I highly recommend them. I've heard they wear out but I have 3 years on mine and they're still tight. It's a relatively cheap and easy mod that noticeably tightened up the rear. My originals were pretty old so they were probably due anyway. They did add a little NVH, but in a good way that I'd characterize as "rawness" - I'll never understand the people who want these cars to be luxury cocoons.

Also recommend the FF transmission mount insert.
Frykman_991.1 (03-24-2024)
Old 08-13-2020, 04:08 PM
ky13
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I think the knock sensor stuff applies to solids or maybe the hardest setting Rennline adjustables. My first mod was some Wevo semi-solids (same as RSS I believe), I highly recommend them. I've heard they wear out but I have 3 years on mine and they're still tight. It's a relatively cheap and easy mod that noticeably tightened up the rear. My originals were pretty old so they were probably due anyway. They did add a little NVH, but in a good way that I'd characterize as "rawness" - I'll never understand the people who want these cars to be luxury cocoons.

Also recommend the FF transmission mount insert.
What is the durometer rating of the Wevo mounts?
Old 08-13-2020, 05:21 PM
lflouie
Racer

When I was doing my research on semi-solid motor mounts one of the issues was that some of the aftmkt mounts, don't remember which ones, had a much smaller surface area where the mount seats to the frame vs stock. Some people reported issues with their particular mounts....so, I chose the FF modified design.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:20 PM
listnner
Instructor

I also decided to replace the entire factory transmission mount adding FF stage 1 inserts. They make 2 stiffness levels, I chose the softest "stage 1" versions and it works great.

Adding the FF stage 1 engine mounts and transmission inserts along with a new oem trans/mount, made a big difference in the car....drives better, handles better, shifts better, seems to respond better....highly recommend.
Fantastic, thanks for sharing lflouie. I had been looking at the FF gearbox insert. I think they are more forgiving than the Powerflex inserts.
I figured if you reduce play at the engine mounts, then the factory gearbox mount will be subject to more forces, so would need upgrading.
What sort of power are you running ?
I am keen to stiffen the drivetrain up a bit.
But my tuner reckons if your running higher power, then pushing the motor harder relative to stock and also stiffening the mounts will send the knock sensor past a threshold and cause it to trip.
Any truth to it or just a myth ?
Old 08-13-2020, 06:42 PM
lflouie
Racer

No idea regarding truth or myth relative to knock sensors....but I've read the comment numerous times.

I'm completely stock on the power train, but I'm OCD when comes to having a car well maintained and as fresh and perfect as possible....hence upgrading mounts due purely to age of car.

I

Last edited by lflouie; 08-13-2020 at 07:45 PM.
listnner (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 07:06 PM
ky13
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No idea regarding truth or myth relative to knock sensors....but I've read the comment numerous times.

I'm completely stock on the power train, by I'm OCD when comes to having a car well maintained and as fresh and perfect as possible....hence upgrading mounts due purely to age of car.

I
Also OCD in that regard. My car has 86k miles, so upgrading mounts/bushings is my first priority (I'm running 85A engine/trans mounts fwiw).

I think the knock sensor issue is a myth with regard to poly mounts.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:28 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I have these installed with the medium bushings and don’t experience any knock issues. https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Tu...oductinfo/M18/
Old 08-13-2020, 08:12 PM
listnner
Instructor

Looking for real world experiences, thanks nzskater. Is your car tuned ? I think rennline mediums are 85 shores
Old 08-13-2020, 08:29 PM
lflouie
Racer

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...art-nos-2.html

Here is another solution using a Porsche part. The 964 RS motor mount is claimed to offer an noticeable upgrade and the users claim virtually no NVH differences except maybe at idle...after that no change. FYI.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:29 PM
ky13
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Looking for real world experiences, thanks nzskater. Is your car tuned ? I think rennline mediums are 85 shores
That's correct. 75A/85A/95A (yellow/blue/red, respectively)

Quick Reply: Semi Solid Engine Mounts