Semi Solid Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 10:57 PM
atm4jim
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lflouie
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...art-nos-2.html

Here is another solution using a Porsche part. The 964 RS motor mount is claimed to offer an noticeable upgrade and the users claim virtually no NVH differences except maybe at idle...after that no change. FYI.
I have the clone version of this mount by URO that I've been happy with, only cost $200.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:07 PM
lflouie
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by atm4jim
I have the clone version of this mount by URO that I've been happy with, only cost $200.
Can you comment on the nvh change vs stock mounts?
Old 08-14-2020, 12:01 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by listnner
Was looking at semi solid engine mounts (65 -75 shores) for 2008 car, but my tuner has discouraged. Says it can trigger knock sensors and pull timing.
65 shores would be the softest of semi-solids and I thought knock sensors would only trigger with the stiffer semi solids or solid mounts ?
The triggering of knock sensors and pulling timing is a total fallacy, more of an old wives tale propagated a select few. I run solid metal engine mounts and have scrutinized pre and post logs only to find there is zero evidence of any knock and ignition retard. Cup cars all run solid mounts and use the same knock sensors as the street cars. With that said, in the past I used the OEM 964RS mounts for several years with success, they are excellent. I'd stay away from the aftermarket stuff which has proven to have documented issues of the PU bushing deforming and developing slop in relatively short order. Good luck...

Last edited by powdrhound; 08-14-2020 at 02:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
listnner (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 08:38 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by listnner
Looking for real world experiences, thanks nzskater. Is your car tuned ? I think rennline mediums are 85 shores
Yeah it is tuned, by Kevin @ UMW.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:30 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

I have the Function First mounts and transmission inserts on my car. I also have completely upgraded to full track suspension components (no rubber cushioning anywhere). I have no extra vibration but shifts and power delivery is much better.
The following users liked this post:
listnner (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 06:07 PM
listnner
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The triggering of knock sensors and pulling timing is a total fallacy, more of an old wives tale propagated a select few. I run solid metal engine mounts and have scrutinized pre and post logs only to find there is zero evidence of any knock and ignition retard. Cup cars all run solid mounts and use the same knock sensors as the street cars. With that said, in the past I used the OEM 964RS mounts for several years with success, they are excellent. I'd stay away from the aftermarket stuff which has proven to have documented issues of the PU bushing deforming and developing slop in relatively short order. Good luck...
excellent feedback. keep it coming guys.
Already have the 964RS mounts in my 993 and if not for its price, would have got the same for my 7TT.
I know URO make a copy for a fraction of the price, but I have come across mixed feedback.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:36 PM
atm4jim
Advanced

Originally Posted by lflouie
Can you comment on the nvh change vs stock mounts?
I was very concern about an increase of NVH, but glad that I didn't notice any over the stock mounts. The price on the Porsche brand are even higher now at $650 instead of $500 a couple of years ago versus the clone at only $200.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:40 PM
atm4jim
Advanced

I just checked the condition of my URO engine mounts. It looks like it has sagged down a couple of mm from new since installing them 2 years ago. The top large washer is almost touching the metal piece below it. I'm not sure if the Porsche brand would not have "settled" down a bit also. Anyone with experience with the Porsche brand 964RS mounts, please chime in. At least the mounts are easy enough to replace.

From Today passenger side

Mounts when newly installed

Old 08-15-2020, 04:59 AM
listnner
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by atm4jim
I just checked the condition of my URO engine mounts. It looks like it has sagged down a couple of mm from new since installing them 2 years ago. The top large washer is almost touching the metal piece below it. I'm not sure if the Porsche brand would not have "settled" down a bit also. Anyone with experience with the Porsche brand 964RS mounts, please chime in. At least the mounts are easy enough to replace.
This is what I have heard about the URO.
My genuine 964RS mounts has not moved since install 18months ago, but having said that its supporting an aircooled NA 3.8 ( I assume the watercooled boosted 3.6 in our 7TT is heavier ?) and our driving style/ road conditions/ climate could all contribute to the difference.
Like you said I paid Porsche tax for them, hence why considering the after market semi solids

Old 08-15-2020, 09:21 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dguth
I have the Function First mounts and transmission inserts on my car. I also have completely upgraded to full track suspension components (no rubber cushioning anywhere). I have no extra vibration but shifts and power delivery is much better.
Really?... I definitely noticed an increase in vibration, including when installing GT3 front LCAs. It’s not a negative IMO, I like a little drama, but I’d be very surprised if your car has no extra NVH compared to a stock car.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:22 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Really?... I definitely noticed an increase in vibration, including when installing GT3 front LCAs. It’s not a negative IMO, I like a little drama, but I’d be very surprised if your car has no extra NVH compared to a stock car.
Just to clarify my comments. My full race suspension contributes to much more NVH than a stock car. I just did not notice a perceivable difference when I switched my stock mounts to the Function First ones. I would say in the first couple of weeks I noticed some additional vibration but all of that has seem to have diminished.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:54 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Ahh sweet, that makes much more sense! I was thinking “is this guy numb and has severe hearing disabilities??” LOL
Old 08-16-2020, 10:46 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I have these installed with the medium bushings and don’t experience any knock issues. https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Tu...oductinfo/M18/
I went with the Rennline yellows and they made noticeable difference in drive and even shifting. The stock mounts had expired completely. (at 48,000K miles). No issues at 54,700K.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:42 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Hey John, long time no speak. Hope you're keeping well.

Did you see Flat 6 Innovations post on this?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ne-mounts.html
They claim it happens every single time.

What does Kevin at umw say about false knock with semi solid mounts?

I now have a 996 c2 manual with 3.9L engine, Guard GT LSD and lots of other mods, very happy with it.

Cheers Jim
Old 07-09-2021, 01:06 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
Hey John, long time no speak. Hope you're keeping well.

Did you see Flat 6 Innovations post on this?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ne-mounts.html
They claim it happens every single time.

What does Kevin at umw say about false knock with semi solid mounts?

I now have a 996 c2 manual with 3.9L engine, Guard GT LSD and lots of other mods, very happy with it.

Cheers Jim
Hi Jim. I hope all is well on your end. I can't speak for a C2 targa or what particular knock sensors that application uses. I run solid engine and transmission mounts and detect zero, zilch, nada, difference between those and the OEM 964RS mounts I ran previously. We have tons fo data from my car via COBB and Motec and zero evidence of any issues. I will caveat that by saying this is on my Mezger 4.0 engine which uses an RSR crank, IMS and balanced pistons which makes the engine substantially smoother to begin with compared to a stock 3.6. My car also has a fully monoballed suspension running 2000 lbs springs so not exactly a cushy set up. What I'm saying is that there is virtually zero rubber anywhere in the suspension or drivetrain and still no knock issues whatsoever under load. The 996TT/GT2/GT3 use the same knock sensors that are used on a 996/997Cup both of which use a fully solid mounted drivetrain. Several guys I know run full solids also (NOT semi-solid) on stock block 996TT 3.6 Mezgers and detect no negative impacts on knock from the mounts through their logs. One other guy on Rennlist a while back tested solid mounts on 997GT3 Mezgers with no negative knock effects in his logs.

People are certainly free to believe what they want but we have our data. Over the years, I've been told a lot of stuff by a number of "reliable" sources including tuners which were flat out wrong. As such I take most everything I read with a grain of salt. With that said, I see no reason to run solid mounts on a street car and for most people the OEM 964 semi-solid mounts are a great choice. For 90% of street users with not much more that cars and coffee duties, stock OEM mounts are the best choice. I would never recommend the various aftermarket semi-solid mounts that use the polyurethane bushings as those have been proven to deform and develop slop under track use.

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-09-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Semi Solid Engine Mounts