Sponsored by:

My "dream" garage is done

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 02:20 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

[QUOTE=

You totally have the room, you just need to make your two car garage a one car garage like I did. Technically I should be able to put two cars in here but with storage, bikes, etc. it was never practical. It has always been my fun car garage (much to my wife's frustration as she walks in the house in the Seattle rain through the front door). She is a wonderful woman to put up with me

Jeff[/QUOTE]
Man, that is GREAT idea then to do what you did. I'd have to add heating here, and A/C for the summer (it gets so hot and so cold). I'm guessing you have that? I couldn't do it though since... this would have to sit outside year round in the snow, rain, bird crap, pollen, dust, landscaping dust from leaf blowers, car doors potentially swinging into it in the parking lot behind my house where I'd put it, someone side swiping it late at night when they're not paying attention, etc.

The following users liked this post:
Jimmyk79 (03-11-2021)
Old 08-13-2020, 02:30 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I forgot about the best part of your response...the boots As I was clearing out the bikes and other crap for the photos, I thought about moving the boots. I decided to leave them in...adds some authenticity right! In Seattle we may not carry umbrellas, but we damn sure keep a stockpile of boots for winter exploring or when we take the Jeep off-road.
garage looks great - better not change colors on next car or you will have a big job coordinating !
Old 08-13-2020, 02:37 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 692 Posts

You are right, that car is too nice to sit outside in those conditions! We have a Jeep and a Volvo XC90 that sit happily outside

I don’t actually have AC or heat in the garage but Seattle is pretty mild. It stays cool out there all summer but I may need a space heater in the winter. I’m a big guy that doesn’t get cold too easily but this plan might not feel as good when our temps dip.

My wife said the same thing about the color palette...she knows my favorite car is always the next one I just need to be sure it has the yellow ceramic brakes and I’ll be okay...black and gray would look good with anything. I hope.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:10 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

Love the garage and all the comments. Quick question is I also love the inserts in the front bumper Changes the look of the car just enough to notice. Are they strictly for looks or do they serve some function? My car could almost be your twin. - Cheers, Mike

Old 08-13-2020, 07:30 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Beautiful car you have there and I love the aerokit! It almost looks like you have the standard front chin spoiler and not the aerokit one. My font spoiler scrapes on everything so I've thought about trying to install the standard one for every day driving but didn't think it would fit. What I've done instead is buy the cheap aerokit lookalike from ebay and use that up while the oem one is preserved.

In terms of the mesh inserts, for my car they serve a few functions. They look great and they keep most of the debris out of the radiators which avoids constant clean up. Rocks and such can still get in but not sticks and leaves. My car came like this when I bought it but I love the look.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:47 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts

Looking great, Jeff. Getting the garage done was also one of my Covid projects as well.

I actually ended up with an extra electric garage heater that you can have if you want. Its still brand new in the box and similar (smaller) than the one I currently have. It does need to be installed professionally.

Let me know.

Last edited by TTG; 09-26-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:02 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Your garage looks great and I love the lift...maybe I could fit two cars in mine

I’ll likely replace my desk area with a wall of cabinets similar to what you have when I no longer have to work out there full time. They look great!

I sent you a PM about the heater. Perhaps it will get colder than I’m expecting out there.

Jeff
Old 08-14-2020, 07:56 AM
V-TT
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

No, I didn't go out and buy a new car, or the fleet of cars that I would really want in a dream garage. I did however turn my garage into a covid home office for the Porsche obsessed!! Here is a blog post with more details on what the garage use to look like, etc. but I'll share the "after" photos here as well. I can now work all day in the garage with a smile on my face

Blog post - https://911maniac.com/2020/08/12/my-...arage-is-done/

Colors inspired by my 997 TTS

A 19x19 garage that has a 1.5 foot bump out due to a gas fireplace makes for a tight fit. I'm actually back far from the wall here...I can fit the Jeep in here when I need to.

Very much at home.

A wall of canvas prints from various cars I've owned over the years.

Where I spend all day most days. A great graphic artist on Instagram made that image of my car which I printed and framed.

You can find some cool Porsche stuff on etsy!

I scraped the front even worse backing in for this photo...I won't be doing that again!

Still room for bikes.
Looks great!!

Jeff, this is off topic but I couldn’t help notice, what front lip do you have?
Old 08-14-2020, 01:45 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V-TT
Looks great!! Jeff, this is off topic but I couldn’t help notice, what front lip do you have?
My car has the Porsche Aerokit option which comes with the larger fixed rear spoiler and a "more aggressive" matching front lip. It also reduces your clearance and scrapes on everything...that must be the aggressive part

You can either buy an oem replacement which needs to be painted and costs over $1K plus paint (why!!) - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997AK.html or you can buy a super cheap knockoff that mostly fits and looks the same made out of black polyurethane (leave it dull black or PlastiDip it) for $99 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-06-12-...item3d0ded3704.

I have the painted oem lip stored and I'm running with the eBay knock off because this is very much a consumable part on my car. I have no idea how people lower these things and still drive them and I would kill for an axle lift option.

What I have never managed to confirm is whether I could actually swap this out for the standard front lip which might not scrape as much and is much cheaper @ $265 - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997TTLIP.html. According to some people, I would never want to do this because of the perfectly match aerodynamic characteristics between the aero lip and the aero wing and by running a mismatched set my car would take flight and burst into a ball of flames. I'm not even sure it would fit the bumper and I haven't tried.

Jeff

Old 08-14-2020, 03:57 PM
V-TT
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

My car has the Porsche Aerokit option which comes with the larger fixed rear spoiler and a "more aggressive" matching front lip. It also reduces your clearance and scrapes on everything...that must be the aggressive part

You can either buy an oem replacement which needs to be painted and costs over $1K plus paint (why!!) - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997AK.html or you can buy a super cheap knockoff that mostly fits and looks the same made out of black polyurethane (leave it dull black or PlastiDip it) for $99 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-06-12-...item3d0ded3704.

I have the painted oem lip stored and I'm running with the eBay knock off because this is very much a consumable part on my car. I have no idea how people lower these things and still drive them and I would kill for an axle lift option.

What I have never managed to confirm is whether I could actually swap this out for the standard front lip which might not scrape as much and is much cheaper @ $265 - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997TTLIP.html. According to some people, I would never want to do this because of the perfectly match aerodynamic characteristics between the aero lip and the aero wing and by running a mismatched set my car would take flight and burst into a ball of flames. I'm not even sure it would fit the bumper and I haven't tried.

Jeff
Yours doesn't appear painted, is it? I've searched far and wide for a nice matte/flat black but it appears that the eBay ones are kinda shiny which was my only reservation.
And $1k for a lip? Haha is all I can say to that.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:22 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

Jeff,

So my car sits very low with the Tarett suspension. the tops of the wheels are even with the wheel wells. I'm not sure of the front lip - here is a pic.

Cheers Mike

Old 08-14-2020, 06:55 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V-TT
Yours doesn't appear painted, is it? I've searched far and wide for a nice matte/flat black but it appears that the eBay ones are kinda shiny which was my only reservation.
And $1k for a lip? Haha is all I can say to that.
I didn't love the look of the eBay black, certainly not compared to my beautifully painted oem lip, so I spent the day with PlastiDip and finished it with their glossifier. It was a fun project and I certainly like the look better than before, but it doesn't compare to oem with nice matching paint. I don't think you can use regular paint with the cheap eBay knockoff but the PlastiDip worked great.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:59 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Jeff
jeff, a standard turbo (.2) lip should fit on your car , i replaced the standard with the aerokit lip on my turbo after installing the factory aero wing / decklid. however i don't think the standard will give any more clearance.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:06 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dz997 tts
jeff, a standard turbo (.2) lip should fit on your car , i replaced the standard with the aerokit lip on my turbo after installing the factory aero wing / decklid. however i don't think the standard will give any more clearance.
Why is that, just so I can cross it off my list of options? The option of the lip says that it reduces clearances. I don't think it is any "lower" but I think it sticks out a bit more which make the overhang problem just a slight bit worse but I'm not sure by how much.

I have found the one way that I can exit and enter my garage (which is down a slope) without scraping but if I miss the line it scrapes. The rubber tile in the garage raised it by a few mm but also helps because the lip doesn't make the horrible scraping sound that it did on the concrete
Old 08-14-2020, 08:55 PM
dz997 tts
Racer

Why is that, just so I can cross it off my list of options? The option of the lip says that it reduces clearances. I don't think it is any "lower" but I think it sticks out a bit more which make the overhang problem just a slight bit worse but I'm not sure by how much.

I have found the one way that I can exit and enter my garage (which is down a slope) without scraping but if I miss the line it scrapes. The rubber tile in the garage raised it by a few mm but also helps because the lip doesn't make the horrible scraping sound that it did on the concrete
my driveway is sloped , i have several clearance challenged cars and find i do better backing down . let me know if you would like to try the normal turbo lip. got it in the garage somewhere. (i'm in bellevue )

Quick Reply: My "dream" garage is done