Sponsored by:

Cobb AP Handheld in my CPO 2012 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 07:38 AM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Porsche considers the PDK not serviceable aside from a few exceptions like the temp sensor. Porsche's own t-shooting flow diagrams end up at "replace PDK transmission" for things as mundane as gear oil leaking from a seal. For things like the temp sensor replacement the dealerships charge over $3k despite the fact the part is 35 bucks and it takes less than a day's work. Porsche insists the entire valve body be replaced ($3k list price plus at least another grand in labor) when the fault is usually a $50 solenoid. This assumes they can actually track it down to the valve body and don't default to their usual "replace PDK transmission" diagnosis. There are three other sensor types in the PDK that Porsche claims require a transmission replacement in the event of failure. All three are available, ranging from $100 to $900. None are available from Porsche (nor is that $50 solenoid) and they provide zero information on replacement. Turns out the PDK is very repairable, Porsche and the dealerships want to pretend it isn't. Folks who aren't mechanically-inclined take this at face value rather than rightly questioning why every other transmission is repairable and this one supposedly isn't.

The good news is the PDK is very reliable and we know enough about it now to fix the most common failures. However, a few took it in the shorts pretty good over the years and were pretty vocal about it (understandably). This led to a lot of "ticking time bomb" comments.
Are the early PDK cars more at risk? How many model years did this affect? Mine has gone 57k miles already ...the PO used it and maintained it well so hopefully no issues will pop up now.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:39 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,537 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Cnair
Are the early PDK cars more at risk? How many model years did this affect? Mine has gone 57k miles already ...the PO used it and maintained it well so hopefully no issues will pop up now.
No, the early units are fine (mine is a 2010 with miles comparable to yours) though they may shift a little harsh when cold. Porsche offered a software upgrade that fixed this but several who got the upgrade didn't like how it altered the overall feel of the shifting. I have not had the upgrade and consider the cold shifting just one of the car's quirks. It disappears within a mile or so.

There's nothing unusual that affects these PDKs. There is no flaw, they are marvelous pieces of engineering and a joy to drive (this from a 25 year 911 MT owner). Like all mechanical things they sometimes break but have shown themselves to be very reliable. What is flawed is Porsche's deceitful charade that they can't be repaired. It was a calculated business decision they figured they could probably get away with based on their owner's demographics (affluent, professional, unlikely to get their hands dirty).

Do not worry about the PDK, they are great transmissions. You have CPO and can always get an aftermarket warranty when it expires if it's keeping you up at night. Listen to your wife's very sound advice. Here's some other advice, don't listen to a word a dealer tells you about the PDK. Frankly don't listen to anything the dealership says regarding servicing period (after they try and ream you with $400 oil changes and $3500 brake jobs you'll learn this yourself). They make a fortune taking affluent, neurotic types to the cleaners, who somehow think paying $400 for an oil change brings "peace of mind". If you want to know more about the PDK go read my long sticky at the top of the 997 forum. You'll know more about the PDK than 95% of the Porsche techs.

Enjoy the car, the 997.2 turbo and the PDK have a proven track record of being very reliable. These are great cars.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (07-02-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 11:59 AM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

No, the early units are fine (mine is a 2010 with miles comparable to yours) though they may shift a little harsh when cold. Porsche offered a software upgrade that fixed this but several who got the upgrade didn't like how it altered the overall feel of the shifting. I have not had the upgrade and consider the cold shifting just one of the car's quirks. It disappears within a mile or so.

There's nothing unusual that affects these PDKs. There is no flaw, they are marvelous pieces of engineering and a joy to drive (this from a 25 year 911 MT owner). Like all mechanical things they sometimes break but have shown themselves to be very reliable. What is flawed is Porsche's deceitful charade that they can't be repaired. It was a calculated business decision they figured they could probably get away with based on their owner's demographics (affluent, professional, unlikely to get their hands dirty).

Do not worry about the PDK, they are great transmissions. You have CPO and can always get an aftermarket warranty when it expires if it's keeping you up at night. Listen to your wife's very sound advice. Here's some other advice, don't listen to a word a dealer tells you about the PDK. Frankly don't listen to anything the dealership says regarding servicing period (after they try and ream you with $400 oil changes and $3500 brake jobs you'll learn this yourself). They make a fortune taking affluent, neurotic types to the cleaners, who somehow think paying $400 for an oil change brings "peace of mind". If you want to know more about the PDK go read my long sticky at the top of the 997 forum. You'll know more about the PDK than 95% of the Porsche techs.

Enjoy the car, the 997.2 turbo and the PDK have a proven track record of being very reliable. These are great cars.
Thanks man...I can no longer do stuff myself (was mainly doing basics like oil change, brakes etc) but I do have access to a great Porsche tech.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:14 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,893 Likes on 1,537 Posts

... don't listen to anything the dealership says regarding servicing period (after they try and ream you with $400 oil changes and $3500 brake jobs you'll learn this yourself). They make a fortune taking affluent, neurotic types to the cleaners, who somehow think paying $400 for an oil change brings "peace of mind"...
I have zero problem with other owners having every oil change, brake service, inspection done at a quality dealer... Those cars make some of the best purchases after about 55-60% depreciation!

I recently picked up another Turbo with a bit higher miles (50K), a 991.1 Turbo S, and not only was it CPO, but every oil change, every inspection, every nut & bolt replaced or minor warranty repair, even consumables like tires, filters, wipers, etc. were done at the selling dealership and fully documented.

I do 90% of my own work and mod my cars a fair bit, but when I buy them, I much prefer them to have zero mods and worked on by as few unknown shops as possible.

The following 5 users liked this post by pfbz:
Big Swole (07-02-2020), cjcam930 (06-26-2020), mavfan909 (07-14-2020), PV997 (06-25-2020), realking (07-03-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 02:45 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Damn! that's a nice color/wheel combo!
pfbz (06-25-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:30 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Any updates on everything?

I love that you got the extra stuff. I think you'll be just fine to run the tune(s) and flash back to stock when needing work.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:12 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Any updates on everything?

I love that you got the extra stuff. I think you'll be just fine to run the tune(s) and flash back to stock when needing work.

Yeah it's running on Stage 1 right now...waiting for EP exhaust to arrive. Already got the DSC module.
Big Swole (07-03-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 08:06 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah it's running on Stage 1 right now...waiting for EP exhaust to arrive. Already got the DSC module.
how do you like the dsc? Am about to order one. thx
Old 07-02-2020, 08:24 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tango131
how do you like the dsc? Am about to order one. thx
Haven't had the chance to install it yet...will do so tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:37 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

You'll love the DSC!
Old 07-03-2020, 10:38 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I’m ordering mine tomorrow. You guys/gals got it from dsc directly? Thanks
Old 07-04-2020, 01:55 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tango131
I’m ordering mine tomorrow. You guys/gals got it from dsc directly? Thanks

Yes, ordered from Tom at TPC
Old 07-05-2020, 01:57 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Installed the DSC today and what a difference! I am still learning the car but I could feel the difference even in normal mode. I am assuming that the factory settings are not truly dynamic (i.e, normal is a single soft while Sport is a single stiff setting with nothing in between). With the DSC I could tell there was a range even in normal. My car used to wander a little bit in factory normal setting when going fairly aggressively on the throttle from a light (not launching). However, in DSC Normal the car held true and straight and felt much more planted. Of course the difference is even more obvious in corners and ramps. I will probably leave it in DSC normal since that seems good enough for me.

Do you guy leave the module in when taking the car in for any warranty or other dealer service or do you swap in the factory PASM?

On another note, a corner of the grey foam trim piece is ripped (need to get a replacement). One of the fasteners is also broken....trying to source that as well.
Big Swole (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 04:58 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Installed the DSC today and what a difference! I am still learning the car but I could feel the difference even in normal mode. I am assuming that the factory settings are not truly dynamic (i.e, normal is a single soft while Sport is a single stiff setting with nothing in between). With the DSC I could tell there was a range even in normal. My car used to wander a little bit in factory normal setting when going fairly aggressively on the throttle from a light (not launching). However, in DSC Normal the car held true and straight and felt much more planted. Of course the difference is even more obvious in corners and ramps. I will probably leave it in DSC normal since that seems good enough for me.

Do you guy leave the module in when taking the car in for any warranty or other dealer service or do you swap in the factory PASM?

On another note, a corner of the grey foam trim piece is ripped (need to get a replacement). One of the fasteners is also broken....trying to source that as well.

This is the way Tom at TPC explained it to me back before I bought mine. I LOVE that upgrade.

"Hello David,

Thank you for your inquiry.
DSC works completely different from PASM controller.
PASM Normal mode is 20% stiffness, PASM Sport mode is 80% stiffness.
The middle range between 20% and 80% is not used even through often the middle range is desired.
DSC is fully active and works in ranges.
DSC Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness, DSC Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100% stiffness.
DSC reads the g-force and vehicle speed data and command the stiffness to be appropriate for the situation.
The stock shocks with change to DSC commands at 10x per second.
This will give you better ride over bumps and GT3-like handling on twisty roads when driven enthusiastically to produce higher g-force.
Basically the harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. Driving leisurely will be a more comfortable ride than stock.
We only sell DSC units with the newest updates since we are the developer.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
Tom"
Old 07-05-2020, 05:01 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
This is the way Tom at TPC explained it to me back before I bought mine. I LOVE that upgrade.

"Hello David,

Thank you for your inquiry.
DSC works completely different from PASM controller.
PASM Normal mode is 20% stiffness, PASM Sport mode is 80% stiffness.
The middle range between 20% and 80% is not used even through often the middle range is desired.
DSC is fully active and works in ranges.
DSC Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness, DSC Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100% stiffness.
DSC reads the g-force and vehicle speed data and command the stiffness to be appropriate for the situation.
The stock shocks with change to DSC commands at 10x per second.
This will give you better ride over bumps and GT3-like handling on twisty roads when driven enthusiastically to produce higher g-force.
Basically the harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. Driving leisurely will be a more comfortable ride than stock.
We only sell DSC units with the newest updates since we are the developer.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
Tom"
Thanks David! That makes a lot of sense now!
Big Swole (07-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Cobb AP Handheld in my CPO 2012 Turbo S