Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xona Turbo XR1000 Conversion (ByDesign)- Full Review!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 03:31 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 974 Likes on 590 Posts

Hi IMI

We have a lot of time and energy put into that idea. And several people have tried but I haven’t seen any consistency with it so I stood behind all those cars. We took all of them out And covered redoing the set up with a conventional controller. And we love it.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (08-18-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 03:22 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts
Thumbs up

Boost controller it is then - good to know - many thanks once again congrats on killer manual 997
Old 05-24-2020, 04:12 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Congrats on the build! You've got a fantastic set up. Sam is a hell of a tuner and one of the very few guys that can actually "tune" and pull off projects like this. He's bent over backward for me and gone above and beyond in getting my set up perfect. Happy motoring and enjoy safely...
9SIX4-C4 (08-18-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 04:50 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cheers John. I learned everything from some of the best guys out there and they are still there to support us. Team effort with good long-term friends in this industry and it comes together really nice

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
9SIX4-C4 (08-18-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 02:19 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Cheers John. I learned everything from some of the best guys out there and they are still there to support us. Team effort with good long-term friends in this industry and it comes together really nice
Roger that Sam. It's been interesting for sure seeing how far the Mezger platform can be developed. In the next two weeks we are going to be testing a new Y-pipe with a 17% larger cross section area and exhaust manifolds with collectors of 41% greater cross section. These should drop turbine drive pressures measurable further reducing IATs. This coming winter we are planning on changing heads to allow for a 8800 redline which should give us about 850whp on 19psi with no race gas, meth, or other crutches. Should be fun...
9SIX4-C4 (08-18-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 02:29 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ooh this will get interesting. GT3 based heads?
Old 05-25-2020, 02:45 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Ooh this will get interesting. GT3 based heads?
Correct Sam. We will also run a full 997Cup intake manifold with the vacuum actuated resonance chamber that we can control with Motec. That in and of itself should be a huge gain.

Quick question for you Sam. Do you know off the top of your head what changes Tial made going to the XR1000 from them 980? Did they enlarge the turbine slightly? This would be of interest to us as it would decrease the turbine drive pressure a little more. I was going to email Mike over at Tial regarding this but figured you may know. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2020, 03:15 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Correct Sam. We will also run a full 997Cup intake manifold with the vacuum actuated resonance chamber that we can control with Motec. That in and of itself should be a huge gain.

Quick question for you Sam. Do you know off the top of your head what changes Tial made going to the XR1000 from them 980? Did they enlarge the turbine slightly? This would be of interest to us as it would decrease the turbine drive pressure a little more. I was going to email Mike over at Tial regarding this but figured you may know. Thanks!
Nice, this will be great! Same compressor but they went up a size in turbine. At the higher levels we were seeing the need for that. On your car it may help in over-all efficiency and reduces back-pressure. You won't need it's 1100hp but for example the Pikes Peak car loved it at about 800wheel.
9SIX4-C4 (08-18-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 03:35 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Nice, this will be great! Same compressor but they went up a size in turbine. At the higher levels we were seeing the need for that. On your car it may help in over-all efficiency and reduces back-pressure. You won't need it's 1100hp but for example the Pikes Peak car loved it at about 800wheel.
Thanks Sam. We logged the turbine drive pressure on the XR980s and it was surprisingly higher than we thought at a rather modest 740whp. I think the larger turbine of the XR1000 would lower the turbine back pressure thus effectively raising the turbine drive pressure / compressor outlet pressure crossover point higher up in the rpm range which would be beneficial for us. With the volumetric efficiency of the 4.05L displacement on my motor, the XR1000s may be the way to go. I assume externally the XR1000 is a direct swap with the 980?
Old 05-27-2020, 04:12 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Thanks Sam. We logged the turbine drive pressure on the XR980s and it was surprisingly higher than we thought at a rather modest 740whp. I think the larger turbine of the XR1000 would lower the turbine back pressure thus effectively raising the turbine drive pressure / compressor outlet pressure crossover point higher up in the rpm range which would be beneficial for us. With the volumetric efficiency of the 4.05L displacement on my motor, the XR1000s may be the way to go. I assume externally the XR1000 is a direct swap with the 980?
Yea it’s a direct swap. The turbine housing AR is still not very big just under .63 but should keep the response where you need it and still run a little freer than you are now with that displacement. Unless you’re happy with it and it’s doing it’s job it’s never perfect. But I know you go and you put the effort to get us close to perfection as possible. Good stuff.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:59 PM
TT.BRN
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

“Alpha” turbos are the best thing to happen to this platform ..... great build!!
9SIX4-C4 (08-18-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 01:00 AM
wcarson
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 96 Posts

Quick Update- I've been driving the car nearly daily for the past weeks. It's just awesome. I will say it's not quite as refined as before- it's louder and just "rowdier" feeling. That's to be expected I think. The turbos are much more free flowing and thus the exhaust is a bit more noisy...... not in a bad way in my opinion. I'm still running cats, so it's not obnoxious or anything. Obviously the BOV's are also pretty noisy. It's just such a rush to drive now. I don't go around driving like a moron so I'm not driving it anywhere near it's capability, but I do like let it rip on empty stretches of freeways and on-ramps. And it feels awesome driving around knowing that you have the Hammer of Thor at your disposal at the drop of the right foot. This car demands more responsibility and maturity than any car I've owned. I've owned a few pretty built up machines in my past.

As an aside, I didn't touch the suspension or brakes when Sam (ByDesign) did the Xonas. I'm still running a pretty superb combination of GMG springs, GMG sway bars, and DSC module, and Stoptech big brake upgrade. The car is very well balanced in all respects.

All around, I am very very happy with the decision to go the Xona route. It's not for everyone, as the car has taken on a more visceral and less refined nature. It's certainly more of a handful now. And that is compared to my old set up of the EVOMS tune, AMS IC's, 68mm VTG's, full GMG exhaust, etc. Compared to stock, I'm sure that there's not much comparison. It's now the full embodiment of modern version of my old hot-rodded 930 Turbo. For me, it's truly driving nirvana. Keep in mind, this is my daily driver. I don't track it or take it to runway events. I drive it to work and back home most days..... aside from seeing my family on a daily basis, the best part of my day is getting into the cockpit and driving this beast.
9SIX4-C4 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 02:46 PM
9SIX4-C4
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 102 Posts

this build is Amazing, @wcarson and @SamboTT@ByDesign ! something I can dream and plan for!
Old 08-19-2020, 12:05 AM
wcarson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9SIX4-C4
this build is Amazing, @wcarson and @SamboTT@ByDesign ! something I can dream and plan for!
Thank you for the kind words. The car continues to run flawlessly and is phenomenal to drive. I drive it 3-4 days a week. It's truly awesome.
9SIX4-C4 (08-21-2020)
Old 03-31-2024, 09:41 PM
wcarson
Rennlist Member

Update: It's been nearly 4 years and the beast is still running as strong as the day she was finished. Fastest 60-130 with 91 pump + methanol I've gotten is 5.6 seconds.... that's with a pretty sluggish 3d-4th gear shift in there too. So the car is quite quick even with pump fuel + meth. Still brings a big smile every time I pilot the car.
MBA (04-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Xona Turbo XR1000 Conversion (ByDesign)- Full Review!