Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I miss driving my 997 Turbo S. It's simply not being used at all...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020 | 05:09 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Default I miss driving my 997 Turbo S. It's simply not being used at all...

Hi Folks... So like most of us, I'm not driving my car much, at all. I have nowhere to go, I'm working from home, I can walk to Whole Foods, Giant (food store), Lowes and many carry out places so there's no reason to go anywhere. This is the season that I'm normally LOVING my car - driving to work every day, driving to meet friends at restaurants after work, driving to the movie theaters Saturdays and Sundays, driving the gym, driving to vacation spots in our region and outside the region, driving to the museums in DC on the weekends, driving to sports games regularly, etc, etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling like this.

I don't feel claustrophobic - I text, zoom, facebook, call friends throughout the day and night, though I live alone. I still work 60-80 hours a week from home. I work for a telecom company and I'm actually very busy with webinars they are having us do, zoom type meetings, trainings on webex, sales meeting to improve our skills, etc. But my car, it's not being driven in a time period of the year that I'm usually putting on so many miles.

That's fine. Just wanted to share and vent. It will still be there in the future for me to drive. Occasionally I'll use it to get food or pick up my new girlfriend who loves Porsches. She lives very close by. I still am making some money, I have a roof over my head, I have my cars, my buddies, my mutual funds will come back in a few years, the world will settle down in the next 1-2 years, and we'll be OK, just like after the last horrible pandemic from 1918-20. As long as we don't die, or have bad lung damage, we'll be OK. I hope I don't die. I really want to drive my Porsche some more for years to come.

I'm healthy, doing fine, race walking in my neighborhood each day for exercise, working out with the few weights that are in my basement, doing my push ups, and thinking happy thoughts even though I watch CNN all day and night off and on while working. I love the news, even if it's bad. Usually there's some good news in there too and the stories are heartwarming.

Still, every time I head out to my garage and see my Porsche on that trickle charge it makes me sad. I'm not the kind of guy that just drives my car to drive it - nowhere. I need somewhere to go. So grocery getting on the weekends will be about it. I took it to the mountains when this thing first hit and there were so many people on the trail. I was kind of glad to get outta there at the end of the day, people didn't social distance that well.

It feels like a zombie apocalypse sometimes as I'm walking my neighborhood with people dodging me to get to the other side, sometimes I say "sorry, it's a zombie apocalypse out there and they laugh", but this will eventually seem like a bad dream in 2 years when we get back to normal. Maybe before that even.

Since I live alone anyway I'm used to being alone so it's been decent overall. Ask me again in 5 weeks though. I may be climbing the walls a bit more. If Anne Frank could be holed up in that little room for 25 months, I'll be OK in my house for 3. I'll tell ya, having a GF that loves Porsches - the way they drive, the way they look, they way they are so comfortable on long trips, is a really good thing.

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 04-17-2020 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (04-22-2020)
Old 04-17-2020 | 05:58 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Was already not driving as much as previous years. Groceries, gym, lunch with a friend. No more cross country trips, even after the all clear. Will ship it to Boise for the summer, and go driving there. Just no inspiring canyons here.

Then this, and now only pulled the TT out of the garage for a short weekly drive.

Been 3 weeks of voluntary house arrest. When should I start to worry about bad gas clogging the einspritzers?
Steve 96C4S (04-17-2020)
Old 04-18-2020 | 02:39 AM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Hang in there guys, this too will come to past. The more I think about this COVID N19, the more I think this virus is just too perfect to be derived from nature, but that's another discussion .

I am one of those guys that just likes to drive for no reasons; especially if it's in a car that is a joy to drive, like the Porsche. With this "Stay at Home" mandate, the roads are just amazingly less crowded and driving is very relaxing and enjoyable. Thus, to save my sanity and yet practicing social distancing, I would take the Porsche out for a 1-3 hrs drive on the weekends to satisfy my Porsche addiction and maintain the sanity of this pandemic.
Old 04-18-2020 | 07:42 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

I also make it a point to take a drive every now and then. I use it as a great distraction from everything that is going on and in that role it serves quite well. Roads are pretty empty and that makes it even more fun.

Ed
Old 04-18-2020 | 08:10 AM
cyclrder
Pro

You need to quit watching CNN.... their job is to keep you glued to the tube. Watch some FOX for 30 min in the morning... maybe a little bit of the President’s report in the late afternoon... you will feel a little better.... and more importantly.. get out and drive your Car!

I’m driving mine more than ever....these are the times that I really need it.

this all will pass...be safe.
The following 7 users liked this post by cyclrder:
911.Forever (04-28-2020), Big Swole (04-22-2020), makoshark72 (04-22-2020), Rad997TT (04-21-2020), redcarrera4 (04-19-2020), sfbanchs (04-19-2020), Steve 96C4S (04-18-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-19-2020 | 06:06 PM
redcarrera4
Intermediate

Hi Steve!

I completely understand. What I did to help de-stress about this is, as others have done, drive the car. A Porsche (unlike CNN) is designed with happiness and driving pleasure in mind. Polish it, photograph it, drive it, talk about it with friends, these cars bring much happiness to me.

How about try this: remove the trickle charger. Why? Well for me, I live in an apartment complex and our parking garage has no electrical outlets, so I can't use a trickle charger. So knowing that my cars are not being battery maintained COMPELS me to go and drive the Porsches every Saturday at 11am (I have it on an alarm to remind me)! The place we go for shopping is less than 1 mile away, so I take the 10 mile super long way to get there.

Mandatory Porsche driving: what a chore, eh?

p.s. Definitely turn off the CNN. They've become more rumor-mill and fear propagandizer than an actual journalism source. Too highly politicized and toxic now. If you want to see more balanced sources of information (at least as close to what is happening in reality), check out a much less biased source (the website mediabiasfactcheck.com/center lists sources that lean neither right nor left).

Today I tried getting familiar with driving the PDK in manual mode. To drive it well (or at least as well as the TCU does) is actually a bit of a challenge for me!

Cheers!
-Joe
The following 3 users liked this post by redcarrera4:
lbwsandiego (04-21-2020), Steve 96C4S (04-19-2020), Steve Theodore (04-23-2020)
Old 04-21-2020 | 08:10 PM
TT.BRN
Advanced

I find “A to A” trips very therapeutic at these times, nowhere to go just aimless driving for 90 odd minutes .....
The following 2 users liked this post by TT.BRN:
redcarrera4 (04-21-2020), Steve Theodore (04-23-2020)
Old 04-21-2020 | 10:35 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Yes turn off the CNN, just editorial that propagates outrage, which at any point isnt too productive. I have decided to not pay much attention to any “ news” channel. Anyone that is that far off (800% or more) with math speculation is simply problematic.

Old 04-22-2020 | 01:42 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Still, every time I head out to my garage and see my Porsche on that trickle charge it makes me sad. I'm not the kind of guy that just drives my car to drive it - nowhere. I need somewhere to go.
While I do love to drive, just to drive, I still feel your pain. Every time I walk through the garage to take out the trash I look longingly at the TTS just sitting there on charge, begging to stretch it's legs! I have found that giving myself mini-missions has been helpful. For example, drive 5 hours roundtrip to a beautiful stretch of road, take some photos and maybe do some car videos. All without getting out of the car unless I'm totally alone (for a photo), not stopping at restrooms or drive-thrus. Perhaps you can just temporarily redefine what "somewhere to go" means. Pick a cool landmark a few hours away with the purpose of getting a photo of your car with it...that sort of thing.

Old 04-22-2020 | 02:37 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

I find myself driving more nowadays. I drive my Turbo just to drive it, not to get somewhere. I find that now not only do I have more time, but driving remains one of the few forms of entertainment left. Loving my Turbo more each time I take it out.
Old 04-26-2020 | 10:36 AM
krautmeister
Instructor

I make excuses to drop into the office so I can drive the turbo once a week. It has been awesome weather lately... cool enough to boost strong and warm enough for windows down!

I've been stupid busy too... I’m in the PPE business so as you could imagine, very busy. Almost every guy on my team are car guys so I might arrange for a team outing social distancing in our cars!
Steve 96C4S (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020 | 11:37 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

I too miss driving my TTS but given a choice I will exercise my GT4 first. The TTS is a more refined sophisticated powerful car for a long trip whereas the GT4 is raw and more driver-focused. In plain speak, it's more fun to drive on a nice day. They are two completely different cars made for different purposes and drivers.

When so many others are suffering I'm very thankful that I'm still working full time from home and continue to have the resources to own both. On a personal note, remember "You can't fix stupid, but you can VOTE it out of office."

Last edited by 4ocious; 04-26-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Liste-Renn (08-26-2020)
Old 04-28-2020 | 02:05 AM
911.Forever
Racer

For the first time ever, I've cancelled flights through July between my California and Arizona offices, which leaves only flying private or driving. Driving, well, at the last second I jumped into the AMG63 and left the TT in the Arizona garage and booked it West. The drive through Arizona on Highway 10 was relaxing, high speed (85-90), crossing the Colorado River (AZ/CA border) and all was well past Palm Springs and over to about San Fernando. Then, holy smokes, I'm glad I left the turbo in the garage, It would have been in pieces on multiple flat decks; the California roads are just, plain, disgusting (I could use much more colorful English). Back to Arizona on Friday and you can take it to the bank that the TT will be out for a romp on Saturday :-) We are fortunate to be healthy and own a 997 TT. Period.

Quick Reply: I miss driving my 997 Turbo S. It's simply not being used at all...