Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic oil leak at reservoir - but still full?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2020 | 01:19 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

I was about to post what I found researching this, but I will wait until you finish your testing.

Ed
Old 03-15-2020 | 09:45 AM
Ryans Rebel
Rennlist Member

Here are the pics from yesterday when removing fluid. I took a syringe and use a piece of Tygon fuel tubing. I pulled out what you see in the beer mug, roughly 7-8 oz. You can see the fluid level is right where it should be.

Note, the first few oz of fluid removed yielded a high reduction in fluid level. As the level got lower, it required more fluid removal for the same reduction in fluid level. It other words, the inside of the reservoir must be bottle necked toward the top.

Old 03-15-2020 | 09:55 AM
Ryans Rebel
Rennlist Member

Results from last night & this morning:

My wife and I took the car out to eat - restaurant is about 20 miles away. I first checked to be sure the fluid level was where it was after correcting the level - it was the same. Drove to the restaurant and checked the level - just above the "C" on COLD. We ate, then drove home. I checked the level when we got home, same thing - just above the "C" on COLD. Parked the car overnight. Checked the level this morning and the was right back where is was in the picture above. For kicks, I pumped the clutch - 18 strokes until stiff. Checked the level - right on the "D" on COLD. Ran the car for 20 seconds. Level back down to correct level in picture above.

I should point out that during the drive I never noticed anything out of what I believe is to be ordinary operation. I haven't driven this car very many miles so I don't know exactly how it is supposed to feel. But nothing felt off.

Conclusion?? Not sure. I guess it was overfilled from the get go. I will monitor the level closely until I am comfortable there is nothing wrong.
Old 03-15-2020 | 09:56 AM
Ryans Rebel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lliejk
I was about to post what I found researching this, but I will wait until you finish your testing.

Ed
Thanks for not posting! I wouldn't want to taint my way of thinking until the tests were complete. Now you can shoot down my diagnosis!! Whatcha got?
Old 03-15-2020 | 10:08 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Originally Posted by Ryans Rebel

My wife and I took the car out to eat - restaurant is about 20 miles away. I first checked to be sure the fluid level was where it was after correcting the level - it was the same. Drove to the restaurant and checked the level - just above the "C" on COLD. We ate, then drove home. I checked the level when we got home, same thing - just above the "C" on COLD. Parked the car overnight. Checked the level this morning and the was right back where is was in the picture above. For kicks, I pumped the clutch - 18 strokes until stiff. Checked the level - right on the "D" on COLD. Ran the car for 20 seconds. Level back down to correct level in picture above.

I should point out that during the drive I never noticed anything out of what I believe is to be ordinary operation. I haven't driven this car very many miles so I don't know exactly how it is supposed to feel. But nothing felt off.

Conclusion?? Not sure. I guess it was overfilled from the get go. I will monitor the level closely until I am comfortable there is nothing wrong.
woohoo no stealer or independent visits! Ya just saved thousands of dollars!
Old 03-15-2020 | 02:47 PM
lflouie
Racer

Originally Posted by Ryans Rebel

I agree, it sounds like the original sin was the overfill by indy when parts were replaced. Based on your observations, the system is working correctly and the fluid levels and resultant overflow all makes sense.

Regarding reaching the "hot" level, unless my car is driven hard, an extended period, or it is a hot day, it may not reach the upper hot level. So if your climate/temp are low and it is a casual drive, reading above "cold" level but not all the way to "hot" level is not uncommon. I suspect you aren't even getting your rear engine fan kicking on....so engine compartment maybe relatively cool.

Like yourself, I'm a relatively new P-car owner, so identifying what is and isn't normal is not always obvious. In this case, going back to the correct "cold" fill level and then reevaluating appears to have confirmed everything is good.

Congratulations on your new car.
Old 03-15-2020 | 03:39 PM
Ryans Rebel
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and helped with this troubleshoot and diagnosis. I will report back with any additional findings. Here is a pic of the "new" ride. Stockish, MT, 24k miles.

Old 03-16-2020 | 04:47 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Sharp car. I think your procedure and test was spot on. Just keep an eye on it. If you see anything weird, post back and I will dig up what I found, but I think you have a technician error causing your problems, just thank the Lord you didn't burn the engine up.

Ed

Quick Reply: Hydraulic oil leak at reservoir - but still full?