Sponsored by:

How many miles is too many?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 12:11 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default How many miles is too many?

Curious to hear thoughts given some of the 997.1’s are getting to the mid-100k’s with average DD driving. Problematic? Worthless?

Curious to know as I’m looking at a high mileage (150k) Turbo as a replacement to my Cayenne Turbo which I ended up selling with 200k and there was pretty good interest there (granted it was in great shape and dealer serviced since new, but still)....
Old 08-23-2019, 01:00 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

118k here. Bought relatively recently so still learning but I like to wrench so I have replaced a ton of stuff on my own (mostly suspension, brakes, and catching up on deferred maintenance). I then wrapped it and it looks brand new. Prev. owner did engine out service at 100k and fixed some things. These cars are robust. It feels great and the interior is silent, which I'm really impressed with. If you're happy to work on it at your own pace whenever necessary, then it's my opinion that high mileage turbos are an insane value. A good PPI is an absolute must. I looked over mine together with an indy, got it on the lift, counted up the things that needed to be fixed and used those to negotiate.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:30 AM
dhc905
Banned

Thanks for the input - I haven't seen a ton of active posters here with lots of miles, but I would likely be moving my 964 on to make space for this which was eminently wrenchable. The Cayenne Turbo a lot less so partially due to tech, and partially due to size, tools, etc (e.g. I had the dealer do a THIRD plastic T replacement as I was losing coolant) and didn't think it was a DIY project.

Frankly now now that I have two young kids (biggest reason I'm even looking at finding a more modern 911) I'm doing a lot less wrenching so I'll probably be doing dealer services exclusive of standard oil changes and the like, but I'm okay with at as well...
Old 08-23-2019, 09:24 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

I think if you’re planning dealer-based service, it might make better sense to buy a lower mileage car. At 150k miles, things will break and the bills will be high. Common issues with these cars are coolant pipes becoming unglued and leaking (or hemorrhaging). This is an engine out repair. Uncommon but potentially catastrophic issue is spun cam(s), sometimes preceded by a CEL P0021. At 150k the suspension will need to be replaced if it hasn’t, and probably the steering rack and any consumable rubber parts like engine and trans mounts. If the one you’re looking at has a sparkling service history and a great price.... maybe it’s worth the dive

Theres a 996tt out in the Northeast with over 600k miles. Properly maintained, these mezger blocks can go and go. It’s my favorite daily driver so far.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:02 AM
ShatterPoints
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

77k On mine so far. I have done A LOT of preventive service and I have kept up with normal repairs. All new gaskets, plugs, coils, etc were done back at 50k so I am coming up on the next minor service interval. CV boots are the latest refresh I have made. So far I have not seen anything that would make me worry.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:33 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

I think as long as maintenance has been kept up, a 150k Turbo should be good to go. By then, a lot of stuff has probably been addressed - suspension, coolant pipes, various bushings, etc. Apart from any wear to the interior or exterior, with the right care the car could feel like one with 40k miles.

Presumably the bigger issue would just be that the miles have pushed the price into the realm where the last owner may have slacked on service.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:29 PM
dhc905
Banned

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I think as long as maintenance has been kept up, a 150k Turbo should be good to go. By then, a lot of stuff has probably been addressed - suspension, coolant pipes, various bushings, etc. Apart from any wear to the interior or exterior, with the right care the car could feel like one with 40k miles.

Presumably the bigger issue would just be that the miles have pushed the price into the realm where the last owner may have slacked on service.
True - and I think having the service history will be important...however, it is interesting buying a higher mileage car from a similar enthusiast as wrenching @ home can either be done really well or really, really poorly/cheaply. Hard to tell which is which. While dealer prices are pretty bad, at least I will know that whoever the next owner is will have confidence in the quality of the work!
Old 08-23-2019, 09:41 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

I've got a 06 CTT and 07 997TT. While both are only ~55k miles, the 997TT is much easier to DIY and generally cheaper to maintain. The Cayenne is heavy and access to anything (like the coolant tees) is a royal PITA. Condition is everything on these cars. Buy the best maintained one you can, and/or budget to bring it up to snuff. You may want to also check on the 996TT forum as mechanically, the models are very similar and they have many more cars with high miles.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:55 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

When I decided it was time for me to own a Porsche, I did a ton of research, and the 997 TT was THE Porsche to own. I know there are "better" models, but I was looking for that rare combination of performance and driveablity and price.

If Porsche is anything like Audi or VW (and why wouldn't they be?), I have driven both company's products for over 200,000 miles. The Audi CQ I owned hit 335K before it left my possession.

Having said that, as others have mentioned, keeping up with maintenance, and depending on it's place in the timeline, possibly pinning cooling fittings, replacing plastic elbows and pinning the cams are the items that will make sure the thing runs long.

Like any high end car, you will be replacing your clutch and tires more regularly that other vehicles, but I put that down as cost of ownership.

While I am at the other end of the mileage spectrum, my personal belief is that having dealt with the items mentioned, I will be driving this car for another decade at least.

Ed
Old 08-24-2019, 08:35 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Also, data on the PDK is not known yet. A repair on a PDK ain’t gonna be as simple as calling your parts order in. I would assume it’s gonna be expensive. Recently I have been turning my opinions and reverting back to the 997.1. Shocking but considering the launch and added horsepower and torque placed on the drivetrain. Beginning to think that I might have been wrong. It’s a keeper! Long live the Mezger!
Old 08-24-2019, 01:10 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lliejk
When I decided it was time for me to own a Porsche, I did a ton of research, and the 997 TT was THE Porsche to own. I know there are "better" models, but I was looking for that rare combination of performance and driveablity

I will be driving this car for another decade at least.

Ed
Well said and me too. I bought my 997.1 due to the quality of the build and my belief in the car being a long term performer. All cars need maintenance and attention and with it, the 997TT should be a 1,000,000 mile 911.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:14 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Also, data on the PDK is not known yet. A repair on a PDK ain’t gonna be as simple as calling your parts order in. I would assume it’s gonna be expensive. Recently I have been turning my opinions and reverting back to the 997.1. Shocking but considering the launch and added horsepower and torque placed on the drivetrain. Beginning to think that I might have been wrong. It’s a keeper! Long live the Mezger!
Provided this isn't sarcasm, I'm pleased to see it! Gotta have the love for the car, for without it, all cars, bar none, are just burdens to carry.

I commend your evolving opinion!
Old 08-24-2019, 05:17 PM
ECB
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Beginning to think that I might have been wrong. It’s a keeper! Long live the Mezger!
Wait, what? Good to have you back on our side!
Old 08-25-2019, 12:14 AM
dhc905
Banned

This would be an ‘07 tippy, so no PDK, which is both good and bad. The tippy seems to be a relic dating back to the 964 days, whereas PDK will outshift/perform any human and be pretty robust doing it (likely more robust than a similarly pushed 3-pedal).

Going to see it tomorrow; will get a sense but it has its issues - PASM intermittent error, etc, but owning a ‘91 I’m used to niggles and issues, which may bother some, but when I strap into my Porsche there’s no comparison despite the wipers not working and an OEM (but not original) Turbo wing on my narrow body.

But seems like 150+k mile 997 isn’t an auto-write off in the same way a 955 non-Turbo from a cold climate would be....
Old 08-25-2019, 11:10 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmistry
Provided this isn't sarcasm, I'm pleased to see it! Gotta have the love for the car, for without it, all cars, bar none, are just burdens to carry.

I commend your evolving opinion!
Of course it's sarcasm, it's all he knows.

Quick Reply: How many miles is too many?