Sponsored by:

My 997.1TT Journey

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Chicago997TT
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 997.1TT Journey

Happy to publish my 1st post here and to share stories and experiences with these beautiful machines! My black/black 2008 997 6spd turbo called southern California its home for the first 10 years of life and after I missed a 24k mile 2007TT that sold fairly quickly, I was lucky enough to come across it through a private listing at the end of 2018. After a week of negotiating a cross-country sale, the deal was done in February of 2019 with 34k miles on the odo. Full records, no mods, no accidents and a clean PPI and DME report. Although black was not my first color choice due to how paint flaws show so easily, I knew that well maintained black paint is a show-stopper. A full paint correction was to come, but more on that later...

Despite the clean PPI that I had completed in San Diego, a day after delivery I quickly noticed that the clutch was slipping under moderate boost, unbelievable! Before I could even process that the p-shop had missed this obvious issue, I was online and on the phone finding the right guy and shop for the job. This is when the true journey began.

Since the engine was going to have to come out for the new clutch, I called on Sol Synderman at Perfect Power (northern Chicago suburbs) to get everything possible replaced and upgraded while the engine was out. This included a Sachs 2.5 clutch kit and lightweight flywheel, BBi clutch slave cylinder conversion, BBi coolant pipe upgrade kit and upgraded GT2 master cylinder (to delete the hydraulically assisted clutch), replacement of every hose, O ring and elbow on the entire engine as well as the installation of the Sharkwerks coolant pipe upgrade kit (stainless elbows, etc.).

Next up was the ordering, fabrication and installation of the Europipe Stage 2 exhaust with before and after pictures and videos of cold startups. The DSC sport module install was to follow and now I’m reading that there is a launch control feature. Not sure how often I’d use it as I never launch my car but good to know! Hopefully I’ll have time later in the week to get back on here with updates.

Here are some pictures in the meantime!

- Mahdi

Picture I took yesterday not far from home...

Engine dropped for the laundry list of to-do items!

Ready to get stripped down!

The bare Mezger in all of its glory

Old 06-25-2019, 10:41 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

beautiful are those HRE P40s? same as mine but a different finish. keep us posted on your progress
Old 06-25-2019, 10:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Word of caution >> you cannot couple (without extreme wear/damage) a non sprung clutch disk with a lightweight non dual mass flywheel. You will destroy your input shaft bearings.
If your clutch disk is sprung it is not a Sachs 2.5.. You can go to my website and look at all the popular clutch systems..

http://ultimatemotorwerks.com/clutch.html

I mention that above a caution and not a sales pitch.

Congrats on the fine car!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:32 PM
Chicago997TT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Word of caution >> you cannot couple (without extreme wear/damage) a non sprung clutch disk with a lightweight non dual mass flywheel. You will destroy your input shaft bearings.
If your clutch disk is sprung it is not a Sachs 2.5.. You can go to my website and look at all the popular clutch systems..

http://ultimatemotorwerks.com/clutch.html

I mention that above a caution and not a sales pitch.

Congrats on the fine car!
Thank you for the feedback. I actually installed the full BBi Porsche Lightweight Flywheel and Sport Clutch Kit, which I'm sure you're very familiar with. This was in addition to the BBi Clutch Slave Cylinder Conversion kit while installing the GT2 master cylinder and re-installing the GT2 assist spring along with a S/S braided line for the clutch slave. From my understanding, this is a safe setup...
Old 06-25-2019, 11:35 PM
Chicago997TT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
beautiful are those HRE P40s? same as mine but a different finish. keep us posted on your progress
Thank you, you've got a nice looking stable as well! Yup, I had the HRE P40's painted Porsche “539 Weiss Gold” as I loved how that color looked against the black 997 GT2’s and the 911’s and 928’s in the 1980’s growing up as a kid. More updates to come!
Old 06-28-2019, 08:42 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks awesome! Love when owners change the OEM look with touches like that.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:50 PM
Chicago997TT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Looks awesome! Love when owners change the OEM look with touches like that.
Thank you! Definitely love keeping the OEM look except for the wheels - that's where I like to add my personal touch...

Quick Reply: My 997.1TT Journey