Sponsored by:

Is this tune safe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 06:04 AM
BobbyLKPG
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Is this tune safe?

Hi , I have a 997.1 TT Tiptronic and it is tuned with TechArt-exhaust, airfilter and GT2RS-intercoolers (997.2). And about 2 weeks ago I got a ECU-tune.
I´m going to a trackday tomorrow and just wanted to check if this tune is safe to go ? The thing I´m worried about is the knock-retard, is -10,5 alright?

Old 06-16-2019, 10:24 AM
epacman17
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems a little high but probably no immidate risk of damaging anything. What is your total ignition angle at 6500 RPM? Have you done the coils and plugs?
Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 AM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

That is way too much ignition retard. What are you using to tune with? How did you get this log? You can register and upload your log to www.datazap.me and then post the link. This is a very powerful website, and I use it all the time.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Robert, I think that you need plugs. Your timing should be lower with your 98 Ron. Email me your current log file with 98 Ron
Old 06-16-2019, 01:16 PM
BobbyLKPG
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kevin
Robert, I think that you need plugs. Your timing should be lower with your 98 Ron. Email me your current log file with 98 Ron
Hi Kevin, glad you answered! Yes this is from the file I emailed you. What kind of plugs do I need? One step colder?
Old 06-16-2019, 01:24 PM
BobbyLKPG
Advanced

Originally Posted by A418t81
That is way too much ignition retard. What are you using to tune with? How did you get this log? You can register and upload your log to www.datazap.me and then post the link. This is a very powerful website, and I use it all the time.
Cool site! Will do
Old 06-16-2019, 01:27 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Post your last run. Knock retard is 6 points lower.. Throttle plate, fueling, boost, knock retard does require adaptation. If infact you have "quality" 98 RO in your fuel tank, you should see consistant knock retard similar as your last runs.
Regardless, your plugs and VNT linkage (ball sockets need lube) look suspect.

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2019, 01:55 PM
BobbyLKPG
Advanced

I will email you a fresh log tomorrow Maybe the adaptation isn´t complete as you said.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:09 PM
1q2w3e4r
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Track work = mixture of race fuel no?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Interested in your thought process here and just to be clear not questioning it. Are you thinking preignition and colder plugs or plug gap crept up from age + spark blow out? Interested in what you’re thinking here.

Also, what’s the deal with knock retard being acceptable with this platform. I’m glad ECU is reacting but shouldn’t a good tune be a good tune where knock-retard isn’t constantly intervening? If this is a long topic I can take it elsewhere or another thread lol.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Track DE work should include a splash of race gas...

In this particular "car" the knock retard on the factory stock file (verified original) had higher than normal knock retard running on 98RON..
ALL Stock mapping produces knock retard >>it is not ZERO across the performance run.
As miles accumulate on the plugs the "gap" widens and we have higher misfires>thus producing knock retard.

I would say that on most of the pump fuels available today ALL cars have 2 to 4 degrees of knock retard in at least one or two cylinders..

Knock retard issues can also come from> failing secondary fuel pump/clogged fuel filter, Poor/worn motor mounts OR improperly designed solid mounts, heat shields rubbing, plugged CAT's or restrictive exhaust systems (piping less than 2.75">create higher knock retard signatures) STUCK or seizing VNT linkages and slipping/failing intake camshaft sleeves.

BTW>>stock 91 Cali fuel have cars running at -7 to -11 degrees of timing knock retard STOCK...
Old 06-18-2019, 09:32 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Track DE work should include a splash of race gas...

In this particular "car" the knock retard on the factory stock file (verified original) had higher than normal knock retard running on 98RON..
ALL Stock mapping produces knock retard >>it is not ZERO across the performance run.
As miles accumulate on the plugs the "gap" widens and we have higher misfires>thus producing knock retard.

I would say that on most of the pump fuels available today ALL cars have 2 to 4 degrees of knock retard in at least one or two cylinders..

Knock retard issues can also come from> failing secondary fuel pump/clogged fuel filter, Poor/worn motor mounts OR improperly designed solid mounts, heat shields rubbing, plugged CAT's or restrictive exhaust systems (piping less than 2.75">create higher knock retard signatures) STUCK or seizing VNT linkages and slipping/failing intake camshaft sleeves.

BTW>>stock 91 Cali fuel have cars running at -7 to -11 degrees of timing knock retard STOCK...
Thanks Kevin, great to know. Weird how knock retard is so common and almost the norm with these. Almost as if Porsche tuned it on 100octane and then let the ECU handle the rest so it’s constantly retarding. Lol

Or did they just dyno the motor with some 93 octane, followed by lower octane levels and let ECU blend tables and figure it out? It sees knock... so that -11 is coming from the 87 octane map + utilize knock control?

Quick Reply: Is this tune safe?