Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any concerns: Catless , X-pipe, no mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:58 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Any concerns: Catless , X-pipe, no mufflers?

Recently installed catless/X-pipe, and the turbos spool so much quicker.

I have a COBB stage 2 tune, with larger coolers and silicone pipe upgrade.

Any possible concerns with the straight exhaust beyond turbo spool noise?
Old 05-21-2019, 01:49 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's exactly the setup I'm running, first thing I did to the car haha.

As long as your tune is ignoring the rear O2's, you shouldn't get a check-engine light. I know whatever map-changing flash-tune crap I had on my car was off a bit, but I haven't looked at the Cobb OTS stage 2 tune - I'd guess you could get some nice drivability and some more power out of a custom tune.

I've found that although the overall sound is great and not terrible to live with, Sport mode and about 2200rpm ramping into boost there's a boominess that I'm going to try and remove with Helmholtz tubes - other than that, I think it's fantastic.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:18 PM
monty007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Jordan mentioned, the only thing will be a possible rotten egg smell without cats depending on your tune or a check engine light if you don't use O2 extenders (link:
Amazon Amazon
)

I have built a cat-less exhaust myself and I don't have a tune yet but using the O2 extenders prevented a check-engine light. If you are getting a custom tune done your tuner can turn off the secondary sensors. The only other thing is that it is pretty darn LOUD! The turbo spool sound is amazing and really gives the car a much more pronounced note. Be mindful that there typically is drone between 2-3000 rpm.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:42 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by monty007
As Jordan mentioned, the only thing will be a possible rotten egg smell without cats depending on your tune or a check engine light if you don't use O2 extenders (link: https://www.amazon.ca/Vibrant-Restri.../dp/B002U6JK58)

I have built a cat-less exhaust myself and I don't have a tune yet but using the O2 extenders prevented a check-engine light. If you are getting a custom tune done your tuner can turn off the secondary sensors. The only other thing is that it is pretty darn LOUD! The turbo spool sound is amazing and really gives the car a much more pronounced note. Be mindful that there typically is drone between 2-3000 rpm.

Did not have good luck with those, big daddy's garage ones or FabSpeed did the trick but takes some driving around in 3rd to build up heat to get the post cat o2 sensor to set readiness. Depending on emissions of you state it is easy just to get a system with a 200 cell cat setup and not have to worry about the spacers or passing emissions if the states change the process or the car is sold.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:32 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
Did not have good luck with those, big daddy's garage ones or FabSpeed did the trick but takes some driving around in 3rd to build up heat to get the post cat o2 sensor to set readiness. Depending on emissions of you state it is easy just to get a system with a 200 cell cat setup and not have to worry about the spacers or passing emissions if the states change the process or the car is sold.
Thanks... unfortunately the I bought a used custom made exhaust, so I don't know what cats would work. I was hoping to use my fabspeed, but no luck.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:04 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow993
Thanks... unfortunately the I bought a used custom made exhaust, so I don't know what cats would work. I was hoping to use my fabspeed, but no luck.

The Fabspeed minicats would do the trick for you without issue, bigdaddy spacers are more compact fwiw so depending on placement of the rear o2 one or either will work well.

Quick Reply: Any concerns: Catless , X-pipe, no mufflers?