Sponsored by:

Turbo S - Is there a substitute ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Here's my problem - I really like my car but also miss having a cabriolet like the C4S I used to have. But after experiencing a TTS with PCCBs, I feel like I won't find any satisfaction with a lesser car.

I've been looking at Boxsters but even the S and the somewhat ridiculous delta between base and S has me on the fence.

Is a Turbo S cab the only option or are there Turbo S owners that find true satisfaction (not rationalizations) with some other car?

I've looked at S2000, Boxsters, E550's etc - a play toy in the $20-30k range. I know that for $60-80k I could find something that works but really I want something I can toss around and not worry about.
I haven't owned a Turbo S, but have owned a 991.2 C2S with sport package, which is almost as fast, but drives a bit differently (of course).

My wife recently test-drove a 991 C2S cab (NA) and really, really liked it. She didn't miss the power at all (her other is a GT3). She also drove a Spyder, and said it was the best driving car she had ever been in. Unfortunately, she needs 4 seats, so the Spyder is out. She owned a 981 Boxster S manual and it was a super fun car as well.

The NA cars just drive differently: sure, you don't get the huge turbo boost, but the fact that you have to build RPMs to get to the power and torque makes the car arguably more engaging. Would it be better or worse for you? Only you can answer that. If you are still in love with your car, I wouldn't get rid of it. Instead, add a NA drop top. Spyder is the best choice if it meets your budget and you only need 2 seats. Or, any 997/991 cab will be super fun! Just wring that engine out to redline and enjoy the difference when compared to your TTS.

If you just want one car and need a turbo, you can look at a Turbo S cab, but it is a heavy machine. I would rather try and track down a 991.2 C2S cab with the sport package. It is what, 350 lbs lighter and about as fast?

I can't say I prefer the turbo to the NA engine, or vice versa. They are both thrilling but very different. I do prefer the GT3 NA engine to any others discussed here, but you can't get that in a Carrera or Turbo.

If you have a budget of say, $55k in addition to your current TTS, I would certainly try to find the right 987 manual Spyder. That is my dream car, and a tune with headers has it making 365hp.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:13 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I had some overlap where I had the C4S and the TTS and my conclusion was the C4S could do it, while the TTS can do it effortlessly. I drove the TTS today and its insane how easily and unnoticed it goes 110 + from just an overtaking maneuver. I looked for Spyders after your mention but they are all in the $90-110 range (must be nice cars)

Fishing around today, I am seeing that Ferrari California's are getting silly cheap for what's supposed to be a reliable F'car.

More thank likely, It looks like I'll be getting a cheapie base box - test drove the likely candidate today - it's fun enough for what I want.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:56 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Just to weigh back into this again....

I was referring to a 987.2 Spyder - in the US they seem like a bargain.....!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ter-spyder-21/

Such a pretty car - Gratuitous Pic:

Old 05-21-2019, 02:24 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Price and car look great - first time I've ever seen BAT way less like that - especially 4k miles! ???
Old 05-23-2019, 10:58 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

You keeping Mex.Blue, Correct??

If not...DIBBS!!!! LOL
Old 05-23-2019, 02:37 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Keeping Blue - miss having a cab.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:13 PM
djmiroku
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been driving my 997 Turbo for a long time now and recently picked up a 718 Boxster GTS to get some open top back in my life. It's great - I know its not as popular due to being a 4 cylinder and sounding pretty different than most Porsches but the turbo torque is there and it doesnt feel slow at all. The chassis is amazing, very planted, fun car to drive. You can get some great deals on them now too.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:04 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

And an even cheaper one on BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ter-spyder-23/

Simon
Old 05-28-2019, 11:02 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Boost
And an even cheaper one on BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ter-spyder-23/

Simon
May be an illusion. The BaT business model has BaT reserving the right to buy vehicles at auction. In fact, that's where the "money" is. Look for this one to pop up again elsewhere, for sale by a BaT proxy. fwiw-
Old 05-28-2019, 11:49 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts

well.. you could always look for a .2 Turbo cab with a stick... PCCBs, engine mounts, torque vectoring, locking diff, full leather, and add a COBB & DSC... then you would essentially have the best of all of your desires... basically a stick S!

Old 05-28-2019, 09:07 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

I finally gave up the hunt yesterday. My wife and now GF (don't ask) made the point that we rarely used the convertibles all the time we had them. She's right. I had a 500SL and the C4S and we might have gone on 30 drives total over a 10 year period. The wind was always a problem for her (long hair) (and now my son in the back seat) and the sun is a problem for my aging skin and thinning hair. I went out in the TTS this weekend and didn't even bother to open the sunroof. I'm good with the current situation.

That's a great looking car CYCLRIDER and very close to probably where I'd end up.

Quick Reply: Turbo S - Is there a substitute ?