Sponsored by:

Used module swap...attn: tech masters

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 12:29 AM
ccsfd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used module swap...attn: tech masters

If you get a module from another car but same model ex: steering module off one 997 turbo to another 997 turbo..will the module need to be programmed/coded to the
car its fitted to? Will the gateway module recognise
it without programming/coding or will the module only work with the original car/VIN. I know on some GM cars you cant swap modules without reprogramming to receiving car.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:12 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on the module - I've been diving into this and would also love to see a comprehensive list of what can be replaced without a PIWIS and what needs to be married via VIN/etc (this is different than 'coding').
Things like the immobilizer and DME definitely are VIN-coded, and I've read that only one can be married to a VIN at a time (so you can't have a backup DME ready to swap back in for a dealer visit, for instance).
I don't believe the steering module needs to be married to a VIN from the many threads I've been reading about steering wheel upgrades.

Originally Posted by ccsfd
If you get a module from another car but same model ex: steering module off one 997 turbo to another 997 turbo..will the module need to be programmed/coded to the
car its fitted to? Will the gateway module recognise
it without programming/coding or will the module only work with the original car/VIN. I know on some GM cars you cant swap modules without reprogramming to receiving car.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:40 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

From what I have read, it’s all based on VIN. Read out the old(if it works) then replace and write. Have not needed to do it yet with PIWIS.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:59 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Just did this twice once for me now module and the other for a friend David,(used module) it came from a Tip car without Multifunction, the Tip works without programming the MF needed to be enabled with PWIS.
Module speaks can bus to the car it just needs to be told what options are connected to it.
https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...e-coding-guide

Quick Reply: Used module swap...attn: tech masters