Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you clean behind the steering wheel display screens? 997.2 - Pics Included

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 01:10 AM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
Well, there's nothing easy about getting to it. You have to get there from the other side. I got that pic because I removed the aluminium-look wheel trim and replaced it with carbon fiber. It can certainly be done, but that steering wheel trim front is not made to be removed. I did a DYI on 6speed when I replaced mine. If you attempt it and want some help then PM me and I will try to help you.
I can't find your write up. Do you have a link?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:20 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderRolls
I can't find your write up. Do you have a link?
ha- I cannot find it either. Let me get back to you. Sorry.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:02 PM
IXXI TT
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, there's nothing easy about getting to it. You have to get there from the other side. I got that pic because I removed the aluminium-look wheel trim and replaced it with carbon fiber. It can certainly be done, but that steering wheel trim front is not made to be removed. I did a DYI on 6speed when I replaced mine. If you attempt it and want some help then PM me and I will try to help you.
Thanks, few other projects to get through and then maybe work on this one. My delamination isn't as bad as other's. Wondering if we can peel and recoat top coat without removing anything?? Possibly clear protection film layer?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:17 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

You'd become a god by posting a DIY thread on this. : )
Old 05-16-2019, 09:47 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
You'd become a god by posting a DIY thread on this. : )
LOL

I cannot find my DIY, but the photos I took during the process are here, in my TTS album. Here's the critical information...

1. The trim piece that surrounds the airbag wasn't intended to be removed, but can be removed. This exercise is not for the faint of heart.
2. I learned the hard way where and where not to use trim tools to remove this trim piece.
3. The trim piece is seated by a number of plastic pins distributed inside the perimeter of it, and each one has a dab of white glue on it. This is what you are working against while removing the trim piece.

DO NOT PRY BENEATH THE ENDS WITH DISPLAY WINDOWS!!! DO NOT pry where indicated in YELLOW. ALSO DO NOT PRY BETWEEN THE AIR BAG AND THE TRIM PIECE. The tugging you will do is from the BASE of the wheel hub, pulling the trim piece up (towards you) from its base (that part closest to the dash).

I recommend using any of the tools in this picture, with the circled ends inserted between the base of the trim piece and the wheel housing. This requires great resolve, and a decent amount of elbow grease. But rest assured, if you use your trim tool to work around the areas I have recommended you will get there without damaging anything.

You want to work your way around the airbag, staying clear of the ends with display windows, working the trim piece up little by little. Unseating the glue is the challenge, but it' super easy. Like golf the biggest challenge is psychological. You can do this!

When I installed the replacement piece, a fellow forum member provided the factory glue so I could put a dab on each of the plastic pins. He sent it to me, I used what I needed, and sent it back to him. I love this forum!

Good luck to anyone who goes down this path. CF is subjective, but the replacement of the aluminium-look trim piece on my wheel is the very most-admired and immediately recognizable mod I have done in the interior. It's a love/hate mod, with no in-between, lol, and I am guessing that once removed any number of modifications can be made to tailor the trim piece to your liking.

Last edited by Domer911; 05-16-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:47 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, great post. Thank you @Domer911 !
Old 05-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gsxrjjordan
Wow, great post. Thank you @Domer911 !
Careful not to misunderstand...you do not pry immediately around the air bag. You pry at the BASE of the wheel hub, NOT at the top by the airbag. Sorry for that!
Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 PM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Awesome! Pass the glue lol!
Old 05-17-2019, 03:46 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Domer - once you have it all apart, what's the fix ? Clean the clear window ? Replace ? PN ?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2019, 06:50 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Domer - once you have it all apart, what's the fix ? Clean the clear window ? Replace ? PN ?

Thanks
Ni idea. I just know how to get to it. Sorry, but it was just part of what I learned while trading out the front trim on my steering wheel. There's a piece of dark film just inside the plastic lens (gives it the tinted look) that you can damage with a misplaced trim tool. But it is separate from the lens. The damage I see in the OP's pics looks like it's caused by an exterior source, but again, I really do not know.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 AM
dhahlen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ni idea. I just know how to get to it. Sorry, but it was just part of what I learned while trading out the front trim on my steering wheel. There's a piece of dark film just inside the plastic lens (gives it the tinted look) that you can damage with a misplaced trim tool. But it is separate from the lens. The damage I see in the OP's pics looks like it's caused by an exterior source, but again, I really do not know.
Damage is definitely on the inside, not something you can feel or wipe off. Likely due to heat as others have noted. Tough to say without taking it all apart.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:10 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 326 Posts

This thread links to other techniques for removing the front trim (i.e. the kevlar cord technique).

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ing-wheel.html

Quick Reply: How do you clean behind the steering wheel display screens? 997.2 - Pics Included