Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal gets hard occassionally after slave and accumulator install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 03:22 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch pedal gets hard occassionally after slave and accumulator install?

I've been having some issues with my clutch pedal after a new slave and accumulator were installed due to a Pentosin leak which developed over the winter months. 90% of the time my clutch feels smooth as butter. Nice and light as it should be, even when the car is off. Occasionally though (I especially notice it when backing up into my garage slowly in reverse) the clutch pedal will get very hard and feel like it's fighting me. When this happens there is a very grainy, or gritty feel to the travel and it will push back against my foot if I'm not applying firm pressure. The more you pump the pedal, the harder it gets. I should add that the ability to go into gear is not affected in any way, nor is the engagement point. It's just that the pedal resistance is way harder than it should be.

One other thing I should mention, is that when I am pulling out of my garage and I turn hard to the right to turn around my house, I notice a noise from the front right corner of the car. It could be the power steering system straining, or could be as simple as my tire rubbing the wheel well (I am lowered and have spacers). Don't know if it's related to my issue, but thought I would mention it.

I'm not interested in throwing in the towel and taking it to a dealer so they can guess at the expense of my wallet. I'm sure someone on here who is familiar with the way the system works can give me the right direction to start in. I've bled the system twice and checked all lines and the accumulator. It's all tight and there are no leaks. Fluid levels are where they should be. Slave and accumulator are brand new. Since it doesn't affect driveability and is more of an annoyance at this point I'm living with it, but I'd like to troubleshoot this and get it fixed.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:38 AM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the clutch gets like that, how is the steering? Does it feel heavier than normal?

Dan
Old 04-23-2019, 08:35 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm currently having the same issue after a new slave and accumulator, except my pedal gets hard after the car sits overnight or sometimes for a few hours. Also get that very faint whine when I turn the wheel sometimes. Mine was all done under warranty and I'm planning on going back to the shop that did the work as soon as I have some free time. I will report back when I get some answers.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:55 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I spoke with my indy yesterday and he said it can be two things, either there is air trapped in the system and needs to be bleed again or a defective accumulator that's not holding pressure. When I find time to take the car in maybe he can take a look and tell me what's actually going on.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:09 AM
LazySumday
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue with a pentosin leak and the remedy was a new clutch master cylinder.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Before I did my GT2 clutch conversion, one thing that really helped give consistent clutch feel was jumpering the lower clutch switch and not depressing the clutch pedal when the engine wasn't running...

Sounds like a minor thing, but not using any of the "accumulated" hydraulic pressure when the pump isn't running, which is exactly what happens when you go clutch-in to start, really made the clutch much more consistent until I did the full conversion.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal gets hard occassionally after slave and accumulator install?