Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" winter wheels causing AWD slippage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 06:32 PM
wrow
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 18" winter wheels causing AWD slippage?

I recently put 18" BBS wheels and snow tires on my 997TT and shortly afterwards noticed stuttering/hesitation between 2000-4000 rpm when not under boost and at partial throttle. Under boost or more than 50% throttle the car is smooth as can be.

Assuming it was the MAF sensor, I removed and cleaned both, without seeing positive results. I then ran the tank empty and refilled with another brand of premium fuel, again, no change.

So I scheduled an appointment with my local service department who, though unable to test, believe that the AWD clutch is slipping due to the wheels being 18" vs the stock 19" diameter wheels. The dealer did not have a set of 997 stock wheels to test their theory, but were otherwise unable to identify any issues or fault with the vehicle.

Has anyone else experienced this? Before I pick the car back up and swap my summer tires back on and retire the vehicle to good weather, wanted to see the forum's take.

If so, is any damage being done?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:43 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

When you set up these wheels, did you make sure to stay within a few percentage points of the original tire/wheel setup?

Ed
Old 02-27-2019, 06:52 PM
wrow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lliejk
When you set up these wheels, did you make sure to stay within a few percentage points of the original tire/wheel setup?

Ed
What exactly do you mean?

Attached is my winter wheel/tire setup, as recommended by Tire Rack.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:49 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

For example, my current front tire (20" rims) compared to stock:

Running your numbers you are only -.4% so size difference is not the issue, though I did not run the rears.

You can do that if you would like, I used this site:

tiresize.com/calculator/

The stock sizes I found were:
(front) 235/35R19
(rear) 305/30R19

Ed
Old 02-27-2019, 07:56 PM
wrow
Intermediate

Am -3.3% width in the rear, and -4.6% in diameter. Seems significant in the diameter.

Will swap the summer tires back on and see if the issue goes away.

Last edited by wrow; 02-27-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:05 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

If my math is correct from the tire sizes posted there is almost no difference in rolling diameter compared to stock and no difference in the front to rear diameter ratio which would cause problems with the center differential. However the diameter is just slightly shorter for the winters which means the speedo would be also slightly off as would any thing triggered off of vehicle speed but the difference is so small I don't think it would affect anything noticeably.

In my simple spreadsheet the comparison set is highlighted in yellow ("STOCK 997tt" versus "Shorter").

Last edited by Dodaleca; 02-28-2019 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Match titles in text with those in spreadsheet snapshot.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:25 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodaleca
If my math is correct from the tire sizes posted there is almost no difference in rolling diameter compared to stock and no difference in the front to rear diameter ratio which would cause problems with the center differential. However the diameter is just slightly shorter for the winters which means the speedo would be also slightly off as would any thing triggered off of vehicle speed but the difference is so small I don't think it would affect anything noticeably.

In my simple spreadsheet the comparison set is highlighted in yellow ("STOCK 997tt" versus "Shorter").

Glad to know I'm not the only person who uses a spreadsheet whenever possible!
Old 03-01-2019, 08:07 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wrow

What exactly do you mean?

Attached is my winter wheel/tire setup, as recommended by Tire Rack.
This size combo has not given us problems on this car, especially with N spec tires. Let us know what you find out.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:00 AM
wrow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
This size combo has not given us problems on this car, especially with N spec tires. Let us know what you find out.
Damon, thanks for the input. Once the weather clears up here I'll swap the wheels and update this thread.

Quick Reply: 18" winter wheels causing AWD slippage?