2008 TT maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:19 AM
taz911rr
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 2008 TT maintenance

Hello All,

This is my first time starting a thread about my car ..

I have a 997.1 turbo that is low on mileage (+45k) and used once or twice a month only (if I'm lucky) ..
I noticed a coolant leak after a lot stand (4months) due to busy office hours ..
I decided to have an hour a day to work on the car myself as I used to be a Nissan Maintenance Technician 20 years ago .. What a piece of engineering this car is ..
In the process of dismantling the left side radiator I noticed an oil leak from the steering rack (also left side) and the inner cv joint boot damage on both sides ..
While pulling dismantling the axle shaft (left side also) the Joint Flange was pulled out from the front diff (Photo under) ..

As everyone knows ,, Porsche parts are overpriced for that I'm planning to order some parts online ..

I need your help on the following topics :
1. should I bang the damn Joint Flange to fix it back in the damn diff
2. I need to know a reliable supplier that can provide me with OEM parts with reasonable prices ,,
3. I've noticed that the radiator is AKG,, whom can I get it from ?
I only found BEHR Hella brand is it the same or at least good quality ?
4. Noticed also that the boots are GKN,, where to get them ?
I only found the rear ones from different supplier but the front ones (planning to change both the inner ones & the outer ones ..
5. The Axle boot clamps are rom Oetiker,, where to get them ?
Also, I found the outer ones and couldn't find the inners ?

I would appreciate all the help from whomever had taken the time and sourced the items above ..

Thanks in advance for all ..

Old 02-25-2019, 04:43 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

HI,

1. Normally there is a circlip around that indentation on the inside of the flange which I think I see in your picture. While I have done the drive shaft to inner CV joint on other cars, I have never done anything with the connection to the differential, however I am almost certain the same procedure applies: Use a rubber mallet and tap the axle piece back in over the circlip. The key will be making sure the splines are aligned BEFORE doing that.
2. Pelican Parts and Suncoast are good alternatives. Also Auto Atlanta seems to have good pricing, there are probably others
3. Not sure where the best suppliers are but the above would be good possibilities and I would imagine there are others on the forum who have done this that can help
4. Pelican, Suncoast or Auto Atlanta - I always buy the kit which would include the boot AND the clamps and sometimes the axle bolt if it is a torque to yield type (have not done the 911 for this yet)
5. See #4

This: Suncoast CV Boot Kit

is for both the inside and outside boot for each axle. Typically I spend about $50 per boot (inside or outside) for boots, however these were Audi's I was working on, so while these are pricey they are not that out of range with what I am used to, and I typically buy OEM for boots since crappy ones from Meyle and others are not worth the effort since the "cost" of R&R'ing the axles and the mess you make isn't worth having to do it twice.

Ed

Quick Reply: 2008 TT maintenance