Sponsored by:

458 Italia vs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:07 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts
Default 458 Italia vs...

Today, it was finally not raining and it was a beautiful sunny day so my wife asked me to go to the store, thank goodness. So I warmed her up (the car), went to the store, got the groceries and came home. I told her I wasn’t sure if it was running quite right so I needed to drive it a bit more, she smiled and said, yes you better go make sure everything is working properly, ha.

So I am going down our main commercial 45 mph four lane thoroughfare and I see a white 458 “closing” on me quickly. I’ve seen him before as he is usually out on nice days like me, he usually waves. Today he didn’t. We were going along at the speed limit and then he pulled into the other lane accelerated and cut in front of me. No problem. I follow him for a few lights on this crowded four lane and we were both driving like sane, rational adults. My GMG exhaust is fairy loud, but I was still surprised I could not hear his exhaust at all?

At about the fifth light, it was prettty clear out ahead of us but I was still directly behind him at the light. Out of the blue, he went WOT and that car screamed and took off like a bat out of hell. At first I thought, I’m gonna go WOT too and see what happens. So I did, for about 3 seconds and then backed off. He kept going and going and was probably going 100+ mph and was light years ahead of me.

On one hand, I wished I would have given it a full legitimate effort to see what happened. On the other hand, I’m glad I didn’t. Although it would be fun, it does not look too good for a local executive getting arrested for racing his 911 turbo down the strip...

All that being said, what do you think would have happened if you were in the same situation?

I think Rodeo, USNA,and Big Swole would have raced and won.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:36 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

No winners in street racing, but I would have punched it.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:43 AM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming you have a tune? IMO it would be very close. Comparing stock to stock, the Italia is +90hp, -110lbs and has a 7-speed double-clutch transmission. 0-60 in ~3 seconds and 1/4 mile in the high 10's. So stock, there is no way you would be ahead. Depending on how aggressive your tune is and with absolutely perfect shifts, you could probably hang with him.

Dan
Old 02-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

458 wins this matchup, from a roll, all day everyday...
Old 02-25-2019, 10:52 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dprantl
I'm assuming you have a tune? IMO it would be very close. Comparing stock to stock, the Italia is +90hp, -110lbs and has a 7-speed double-clutch transmission. 0-60 in ~3 seconds and 1/4 mile in the high 10's. So stock, there is no way you would be ahead. Depending on how aggressive your tune is and with absolutely perfect shifts, you could probably hang with him.

Dan
No, it wouldn't be close. I am not sure what the mojo is with some of these cars, but I can state my own personal experience. My 2007 has a tune, GMG headers, and a Europipe exhaust. If you add up all the numbers, it should be making somewhere in the 580 hp range, and boy, it sure feels like that.

Then, go sit in my wife's McLaren 570s which is supposed to be a 458 Italia / 488 GTB competitor. Supposedly, 560hp, really only marginally lighter than a 997 turbo maybe 200 pounds lighter, but RWD only instead of AWD.

The 570 passes the turbo like it's stopped or going in reverse. I am not entirely sure about how this is even possible, but that is the result.

My best guess is that Ferrari and McLaren are seriously understating their HP numbers......

I think a stock 458 could easily beat a slightly massaged turbo. You need to put some bucks into the 997TT to make it competitive with today's cars.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:12 AM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gbakerge
I think Rodeo, USNA,and Big Swole would have raced and won.
I 100% would have turned on Waze really quick, my Valentine volume all the way up, quick flick into Sport/DSC level 3 stiffness and taken off. I have driven a 458 and honestly if I had the money(damn you lame military job for not paying us more) I would absolutely have one with Brixton forged wheels and IPE Titanium catless exhaust. I think it is an amazing car, that I would completely wrap in PPF, and not feel bad for putting 40k miles on it in 2 years, especially with the included service package on them! I had the opportunity to drive one around a track in Vegas, along with a McLaren 570S and Lambo Huracan (I believe it was a 610-4?) and my lap times were significantly faster and smoother in the Ferrari. The shifts were lightening fast, throttle response was amazing, powering through the Apex and dropping the hammer as soon as my wheels were straight were all intoxicating in the 458. The ?Huracan was lame and I spun out twice, braking was very shaky also, the 570S shifts didn't feel as smooth and it felt like a toy if I am being honest. I still dream about my laps in the 458, and the sound the STOCK exhaust made as I came into the front straight and shifted at redline each time.

That being said, now I have to push up my timeline for 68mm VTGs, 1300CC injectors, and By Design tuning...

I think I love my car so much because its 10 years old, has 72k miles on it, and destroys most American sports cars while keeping foreigns in check. Also the fact that I constantly get praise for how well it presents is also pretty neat . Will upload pictures later of my new LED DRL and LED Fogs
Old 02-25-2019, 11:21 AM
Rob32Ford
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

What is going to happen when more BEV's hit the road - even small SUVs doing 0-60 in low 3s (not at supercar prices either) - they are coming in force! The automotive world is quickly changing - and our old tech ICE power with all of its complications will be left to rot.

And IT SUCKS!
Old 02-25-2019, 11:23 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I had an opportunity to drive a 458 Italia a few years ago on the track. That drive was one of the things that ultimately led to my decision to sell my 997.1 turbo. The power, the exotic feel, the handling, and the dual-clutch gearbox in the 458 were intoxicating. It's a wonderful car. I wanted to stay in the Porsche family, and the closest that I could get to that car in terms of performance was the 991 Turbo S, which I own now. On paper, the 991 Turbo S runs with the 458 pretty easily. That said, the 458 is much more exotic, and it feels faster. I'd love to own one someday, but I'm very happy with my Porsche.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:30 AM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I had an opportunity to drive a 458 Italia a few years ago on the track. That drive was one of the things that ultimately led to my decision to sell my 997.1 turbo. The power, the exotic feel, the handling, and the dual-clutch gearbox in the 458 were intoxicating. It's a wonderful car. I wanted to stay in the Porsche family, and the closest that I could get to that car in terms of performance was the 991 Turbo S, which I own now. On paper, the 991 Turbo S runs with the 458 pretty easily. That said, the 458 is much more exotic, and it feels faster. I'd love to own one someday, but I'm very happy with my Porsche.
In about 2-3 years, I have the chance to buy a friends 991.2 GT3. It will be a very hard decision I will have to make, if I am in the financial position to own one of those without having to sell the Turbo. Honestly I think the stock 458 handled as well as my modified Turbo...
Old 02-25-2019, 08:38 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a great time one evening against a 458. I heard it get on the GP ahead of me and caught up to it. My 11 year old said " Daddy there is a Ferrari Next to us." I know son I caight up to him. " Daddy its time to take this dog off the leash, This dog wants to run." We played for a while and he exited to Ian saying " Yep he is putting his little dog back on the leash where it belongs." We have a Champion Built Car and really enjoy it.

Quick Reply: 458 Italia vs...