Well, this was new...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 11:07 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
Is it even a super car?
There is no concrete definition of what makes a car a "super car" but usually the manufacturer themselves bestows this name on their own car. As far as Porsche goes the supercars are really the CGT and the 918, in modern times.

IMHO the turbo is missing all the hallmarks of supercars: highly limited production, exotic materials, insane power, ridiculous tech, and ultra light weight.

Here in south Orange county I don't get attention in my turbos at all.

My McLaren 12c (which is an actual supercar) somewhat moves the needle as far as attention goes but not a whole heck of a lot. Just too many exotics here.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Yeah, my memory mostly goes back to the 90s and I don't remember ever really thinking of the 911 Turbo as a supercar.

I'm in boring San Antonio where any new Ferrari might as well be considered a hyper-exotic but I still can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten any attention for my Turbo the last 3 years. Best one was probably a ~40-year-old lady sidling up to me on the highway and giving me an enthusiastic two thumbs up. Otherwise I might as well be in a Camry.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:58 PM
Rob32Ford
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I get much more attention in my '32 Ford hot rod (not that I am looking for it). I feel that the Porsche negative stereotypes draw more haters.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:07 PM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:38 PM
Rob32Ford
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos4S
You would definitely get a "thumbs up!" from me if I saw you driving your '32!

I think a smaller community can also highlight your second point. I try to be mindful of my driving behavior, such as signaling intentions, allowing plenty of space, not following too closely/aggressively, yielding right-of-way, etc. I'm also rarely the fastest on the road. But some times...
I agree on the mindful driving behavior - I do just as you say when in the TT. I also ride a sport bike and conduct myself in a similar fashion since I assume most folks think there is a 16 year old under the helmet!! I let loose though when traffic thins up.

A few years ago we went to the Pebble Beach concours - driving a Porsche there has the same status of driving a Fusion here (in Michigan). Everyone had one! No one gave them any notice - the crowds were around the Ferrari/Lambo types!
Old 02-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob32Ford
I get much more attention in my '32 Ford hot rod (not that I am looking for it). I feel that the Porsche negative stereotypes draw more haters.
​​​​​
Speaking of haters... absolutely the worst. I’ve had both of my cars vandalized over the years. This was in public underground garages parked between two poles and as far away from people as possible.

Sometimes I think I bring it upon myself because I obsess, clean, polish and cherish my S2000 and Turbo like they’re my kids. So naturally the universe sends people to key the cars of an owner that’d probably faint if his car is touched. I’d be that owner. Lol

Last edited by Ruskiy; 02-23-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:54 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

A couple of my coworkers that own 991 turbo S's have noticed my 08. I find that quite amusing.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:02 PM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

LOL. Someone buzzed me at the office the other day and told me to look out the window at my car. A couple of guys were leaning over to top of my Panamera hood taking selfies!
Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderRolls
LOL. Someone buzzed me at the office the other day and told me to look out the window at my car. A couple of guys were leaning over to top of my Panamera hood taking selfies!
Lol, I'd expect that kind of thing with an exotic, but a Panamera? Were they actually leaning ON the hood, or just over it?
Old 02-23-2019, 08:26 PM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

Just leaning over it. It's a pretty badass front end on the PTT. They certainly weren't hanging over the rear ...
Old 02-23-2019, 09:01 PM
maplefrm
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob32Ford
I have to agree with Rob32Ford, we also have a '32 Ford that always seems to draw positive attention from others, waves, thumbs up, comments at the lights etc. it seems to make people happy. The Porsche is usually ignored. maybe an occasional wave and in 4 years only one full blown raised middle finger, and that was from someone coming towards us. Both cars are fun to drive but I know no one will be pissed at me in the '32.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:26 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Love it...I hear ya...Cocoa Beach is fairly small...My 20 year old son noted that the "old people" really stare at it...lol...then I put the CF hood on and now the young folk actually point when I drive by and yeah I always have someone looking at her at Publix when I go for groceries. As for racing, I don't get many people...I think the Big Turbo whine keeps them away...but I did have an M4 that insisted we go, I take it he wasn't good at math, even my half hearted attempt didn't end well for the Bimmer. I did race a badass GT500 that the owner told me was 800WHP and based on the stance and wheel size on how she reacted under throttle I don't doubt him. The AWD pulled him in first gear and by 2nd to 3rd I was pulling him pretty significantly and he was in the side mirror. It was funny because he pulled up next to me at a light and being an old Ford guy I waved but thought he was in a turn lane and I was fiddling in the radio when the light turned green and he left me but by the time I was on the gas and watching him go I felt I could take him, So we spoke at the next light and I said hey let's wait at the light and go when it turns green. He rolled his eyes and told me he had 800 WHP but didn't have his cold weather tires (it was sunny and 74), then he said you have what 450 HP? I told him approx. 700WHP and he kinda scoffed, then I told him, I have street tires, let's go...so we went at the next light and as I detailed above I beat him rather well.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:10 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Always get a kick out of friends little kids going bonkers, it is like the lines just sucks them in. When they stop by and if the cover is off the 996 that normally is the one they really are drawn to because in a 7yo words "Looks evil and scary"...
Old 02-26-2019, 09:55 PM
tinkerbill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

There are just too many nice cars in this area (Microsoft, Expedia, Google, Amazon) for anyone to pay much attention to my 2012 TTS. However, in 2006 I began building a 65 Shelby Cobra replica and when I had it on the street the next year it was difficult to get in and out of a gas station politely. Lots of people wanted to look or get their picture with it or tell me about their uncle that had a 'buddy' that found one in a barn, etc. It got old and I started buying gas in 5 gal containers and bringing it home. Sold it a few years ago and bought my first 911. I'm pretty sure I would have killed myself in that car.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:13 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tinkerbill
There are just too many nice cars in this area (Microsoft, Expedia, Google, Amazon) for anyone to pay much attention to my 2012 TTS. However, in 2006 I began building a 65 Shelby Cobra replica and when I had it on the street the next year it was difficult to get in and out of a gas station politely. Lots of people wanted to look or get their picture with it or tell me about their uncle that had a 'buddy' that found one in a barn, etc. It got old and I started buying gas in 5 gal containers and bringing it home. Sold it a few years ago and bought my first 911. I'm pretty sure I would have killed myself in that car.
+1, around where we live, you are just driving an old Porsche.

For the classics, I go to the gas station early in the morning to fill them up when no one is around. I put ethanol free gas in them so I have to take a short Sat morning trip to go to that particular gas station.

Quick Reply: Well, this was new...