Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler ram error - instructions to tie off the microswitches?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 11:46 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Spoiler ram error - instructions to tie off the microswitches?

I have one leaking ram and it's on my (growing) to-do list for the high mileage 07 TT I just picked up. I think there's a way to deactivate the rams so that they don't trip at 75 mph which just results in an annoying beep for me due to the faulty unit. Possibly by removing and taping off the microswitches? I tried searching for how to actually do this but haven't been able to get anything concrete. Does anyone have any idea if this is possible, or a link to instructions/write up?

Attachment 1347892
Old 02-11-2019, 01:14 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

You can probably be able to use a Durametric Pro or Foxwell NT520 to "code out" the rear spoiler, a-la a GT2 or a car with an aerokit. No more spoiler movement..

Microswitches are integrated into the rams themselves, not sure if you can remove them by themselves.. Def would NOT cut any of the wires for when you want to actually repair the ram(s).

Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In a 997tt, the microswitches are part of the rear wire harness, not seperate like a 996tt. Ultimately, you’ll have to replace the harness with a aerokit version.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
In a 997tt, the microswitches are part of the rear wire harness, not seperate like a 996tt. Ultimately, you’ll have to replace the harness with a aerokit version.
I have a question regarding this. I'm in the middle of switching from stock decklid to a GT2 style decklid with fixed wing. Body shop is doing the work. I assumed they could just use the existing harness on the stock decklid and I could code it out via PIWIS to a fixed wing. If the micro switches are a part of the rear harness, can those be just taped or clipped off or will that still cause problems if I have it coded to a fixed wing? Was trying to avoid ordering a new harness if I could just use the existing.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:44 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Ahh that makes more sense - everything I read was about the 996. Thank you for the clarification.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:07 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Still would like to circle back to my question. If you code it to fixed wing via the computer. Does it matter if you leave the micro switches? Or having those still connected to the harness will trigger some additional code?
Old 02-12-2019, 07:43 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

Another alternative is the Rennkit MicroModule Device found here
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 02-12-2019, 07:55 AM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
Another alternative is the Rennkit MicroModule Device found here
Dave, if you change it to fixed wing in the computer through PIWIS, do you still need to cut the switches out or to your post purchase new harness or your module device? Trying to find the answer to this quickly as the shop is working on my wing to a fixed design this week.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:05 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Use same stock harness with the MicroModule Device. Cut 4 wires at 2 microswitches.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Use same stock harness with the MicroModule Device. Cut 4 wires at 2 microswitches.
Dave, sent you PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:22 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Dave is your response and either or an and statement. For example if I just cut the wires on the 2 microswitches and code it as fixed in the computer, why would I need the micromodule device? I clearly don't understand the interworkings of the harness as I don't have the car currently with me.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:18 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sorry for the confusion; my response is to use a MicroModule, you cut the 4 switch wires. I don't have a solution that involves any other method.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:12 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dguth
I have a question regarding this. I'm in the middle of switching from stock decklid to a GT2 style decklid with fixed wing. Body shop is doing the work. I assumed they could just use the existing harness on the stock decklid and I could code it out via PIWIS to a fixed wing. If the micro switches are a part of the rear harness, can those be just taped or clipped off or will that still cause problems if I have it coded to a fixed wing? Was trying to avoid ordering a new harness if I could just use the existing.
yes, I think you can just tie them off but may get error messages from time to time. The harness is $160.
c
Old 02-19-2019, 06:53 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
You can probably be able to use a Durametric Pro or Foxwell NT520 to "code out" the rear spoiler, a-la a GT2 or a car with an aerokit. No more spoiler movement..

Microswitches are integrated into the rams themselves, not sure if you can remove them by themselves. Definately would NOT cut any of the wires for when you want to actually repair the ram(s).
I think you might be heading down the wrong path if you are still considering physically cutting out the micro switches. I certainly would not cut any wires or remove wiring on the integrated microswitches. Follow saabin's instruction above and code to the fixed wing option. I don't have my diagnostic box handy or I'd check for you if its possible on the Durametric or Foxwell, but definitely its doable on PIWIS. The PIWIS path is not intuitive and I learned that only a few mechanics know the path. Instructions attached.

Quick Reply: Spoiler ram error - instructions to tie off the microswitches?