Thoughts on this car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 AM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Meta. Which car did you make an offer?
Paul Miller 2012? I can put eyes on the PM car if that helps.
Yes, I spoke with Billy at Paul Miller and gave him the contingent offer. Sure, feel free to check it out. Thanks. I would hope with 3,4K miles, it's mint. I'm only 2 hours away (Delaware), so I may check it out one day soon.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:03 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 295 Posts

Yeah it should be mint. Snow here this weekend, but if I have a minute I’ll swing by.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:35 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

That is steep...as to all the owners...that happens, a good percentage of guys who buy ultra high performance cars are seeking a toy and once they have it and drive it for a while they start getting the itch for the next toy...doesn't mean the car wasn't babied the whole time they had it. This one looks immaculate...But that price, Yikes!
Old 01-18-2019, 02:17 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Be very careful with that dealer. Plenty of stories all over the interwebs regarding their business practices.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:21 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts

I would buy a .1 car before I would spend that kind of $$$ (or anything near) for a .2 car. Heck, at that stage, I would be looking at 991TTS.

There is a 09TT w/ 3K miles and a 07TT w/ 9K miles that I am aware of that I would be interested before paying anything over $120 for a .2 car.

If it is on consignment, they will sit on it as long as they can since it is not costing them a penny.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTG
I would buy a .1 car before I would spend that kind of $$$ (or anything near) for a .2 car. Heck, at that stage, I would be looking at 991TTS.

There is a 09TT w/ 3K miles and a 07TT w/ 9K miles that I am aware of that I would be interested before paying anything over $120 for a .2 car.

If it is on consignment, they will sit on it as long as they can since it is not costing them a penny.
Yea, the delta between a .1 and .2 is crazy, but I want the newer DFI engine, updated interior, lights, etc. I don't like the 991TT (no manual), but it is crazy I can get into 991TT for this kind of money. The search continues.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:51 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
Yea, the delta between a .1 and .2 is crazy, but I want the newer DFI engine, updated interior, lights, etc. I don't like the 991TT (no manual), but it is crazy I can get into 991TT for this kind of money. The search continues.
I hear you..... I searched for a very long time to find my TT but definitely wanted the mezger engine.

They are all out there for sure. GLWS which is the really fun part.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:11 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Why would someone want a DFI engine? Individual engines aside (I realise that Porsche probably made a better DFI engine than say Honda), why would you opt for an engine that was designed for the sole reason of emissions reduction, and is fundamentally flawed due that design change? Interested to know whether or not anyone with a DFI has had the valves cleaned/walnut blasted etc, and how necessary it is with the 997.2 DFI motors.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:30 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

The DFIs are objectively better in power delivery/figures and don't have the coolant pipe and camshaft issues. To my knowledge, they don't really have any Achilles' heels. The .2s also have the better suspension setup, and a lot of people prefer the tail lights.

Despite that, I personally have a hard time shaking the idea that they're just a little bit less special, using essentially the same cost-cutting mass market engine as the Boxster and Cayman and base Carreras, compared to the Mezger, which was an excessively expensive motor drawing from the air-cooled days and was used (in a different form) in a literal Le Mans-winning race car.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:37 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Why would someone want a DFI engine? Individual engines aside (I realise that Porsche probably made a better DFI engine than say Honda), why would you opt for an engine that was designed for the sole reason of emissions reduction, and is fundamentally flawed due that design change? Interested to know whether or not anyone with a DFI has had the valves cleaned/walnut blasted etc, and how necessary it is with the 997.2 DFI motors.
It's the sum of upgrades that came with the .2 that make it worth it to me. Also, the DFI overcomes the coolant pipe and IMS (albeit small) risk. I also don't plan on modding the engine. I'll take the improved power and fuel efficiency too.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:40 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

The DFI engine has been proven to be reliable and actually has less issues than the Metzger engines, also they are cheaper to maintain for example spark plug change is easier. No disrespect to the Metzger engine with its proven racing heritage. The updated interior, headlights and suspension make the 997.2 a desirable car especially with a manual trans.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:43 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Ha. None of us designed or made the engine so no opportunity for disrespect. Is just a lump of metal in the end.

Understand the problems that the newer engine avoids, I'm more curious as to how Porsche have seemingly managed to avoid the valves being coated in tons of carbon buildup, like almost all other DFI engines on the market? Or is there some sort of secret Porsche cleaning technique that they add to the regular service schedule?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Time will tell but honestly, 2010 Turbo S DFI engine is 9 years old! The 2007-2009 997.1 turbo in 2012 began to show coolant issues etc. if you have not experienced this issue you will. It will be costly one. You are on borrowed time but when it does, get it all updated and you will be fine. I have seen the right plastic coolant elbow, and the coolant aluminum line with the rubber hose literally rupture and dump coolant. Does not seem to occur to the left one.

Last edited by atcbi5; 01-25-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:11 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Ha. None of us designed or made the engine so no opportunity for disrespect. Is just a lump of metal in the end.

Understand the problems that the newer engine avoids, I'm more curious as to how Porsche have seemingly managed to avoid the valves being coated in tons of carbon buildup, like almost all other DFI engines on the market? Or is there some sort of secret Porsche cleaning technique that they add to the regular service schedule?
I think there are two ways to avoid carbon buildup: Drive it like it is meant to be driven and before oil change run Chevron Techtron through it with last tank of fuel before changing oil. I do this with all my DFI engines including my F-150 Ecco Boost and it keeps them running perfectly, You can actually see the exhaust tailpipes showing more soot than usual after the fuel treatment.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:36 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Unless Porsche have some fuel somehow getting up and behind the valves on injection, running Techron wouldn't do anything for cleaning the valves in a DFI engine (based on my understanding of how DFI works, happy to be corrected). Techron would help clean injectors though I guess.

Driving it hot/hard *may* have some benefit here but I can't imagine that would dislodge any material carbon build up? Good for other aspects of the engine though I'm sure.

Perhaps Porsche have very minimal evap and fixed blow by, so the engines don't suffer as much as say a BMW N54.

Still intrigued to know, anyone rebuilt a DFI engine with high miles? Would be great to see photos.

RE: Coolant issues with the Mezger, yeah, they are real and I'm sure will only become worse. Happened to me, cost me about USD$4000 to remedy with sharkwerks elbows and pinning, as well as replacing all coolant and oil lines that are only accessible with the engine out. Was not happy, but I survived.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this car?