Sponsored by:

Engine/Transmission mounts failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 06:30 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine/Transmission mounts failure

I have read from some owners about tranny and engine mounts going bad. My tranny mounts have gone bad. Pretty common in the 997TT? Thinking about replacing with these-

https://www.tarett.com/items/996-997...tmi-detail.htm
Old 10-19-2018, 07:02 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Alapor
I have read from some owners about tranny and engine mounts going bad. My tranny mounts have gone bad. Pretty common in the 997TT? Thinking about replacing with these-

I am having 993RS motor mounts installed in mine as we speak...those tranny mounts look like a nice addition too.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Alapor

Curious, how did you diagnose your tranny mount as bad?
Old 10-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Alapor
Instructor

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
I am having 993RS motor mounts installed in mine as we speak...those tranny mounts look like a nice addition too.
Mine came in and are BEEFY!

Old 10-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Alapor
Instructor

Originally Posted by saabin
Curious, how did you diagnose your tranny mount as bad?
I had two symptoms that made me suspect. I was getting clutch chatter, especially on downshifts. Not bad, but you could feel it. It has a newer Sachs 2.5, so I doubted the clutch. Second symptom was when I let on or off the gas, I was getting a clicking noise in the transmission area. When applying power or torque, and then no power or torque, made the transmission move a touch. I did some research and 997tt motor mounts and transmission mounts can wear out. I would not say fail, as mine has 45,000 miles on it, just worn out. So, up on the lift, under body removed and found the mounts pretty beat up with some slop. The ones I bought are an upgrade and should be good for a while. A little pricey, but not bad.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:19 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Last edited by 32krazy!; 10-20-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Looking forward to a post install update/review. Wonder how much NVH will be added
Old 10-23-2018, 06:16 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Looking forward to a post install update/review. Wonder how much NVH will be added
Why would NVH be added? Just replacing the clutch and worn transmission mounts.

Been busy, going to try and get to it next week.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:00 PM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

The trans mounts are most likely made of a higher durometer material than stock. That typically increases NVH. Do they advertise the durometer of the material they are made of?

I swapped motor mounts to the adjustable Rennlist motor mounts (85A durometer / middle durometer material) and Function First transmission inserts (70A durometer). The increase was noticeable at first. There was no noise or harshness to speak of. But there were vibrations. But it isn't something I even really notice now and a couple months later.

Rennlist adjustable motor mounts looked to be of good quality. Having the ability to tune the NVH to your liking is a nice feature as well. They come with the inserts described below.
- Yellow (street) 75A durometer - Listed as the same durometer as the RSS and Wevo products
- Blue (sport) 85A durometer - middle stiffness
- Red (track) 95A durometer - stiffest
Old 10-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Alapor
Instructor

Originally Posted by pressure ratio
The trans mounts are most likely made of a higher durometer material than stock. That typically increases NVH. Do they advertise the durometer of the material they are made of?

I swapped motor mounts to the adjustable Rennlist motor mounts (85A durometer / middle durometer material) and Function First transmission inserts (70A durometer). The increase was noticeable at first. There was no noise or harshness to speak of. But there were vibrations. But it isn't something I even really notice now and a couple months later.

Rennlist adjustable motor mounts looked to be of good quality. Having the ability to tune the NVH to your liking is a nice feature as well. They come with the inserts described below.
- Yellow (street) 75A durometer - Listed as the same durometer as the RSS and Wevo products
- Blue (sport) 85A durometer - middle stiffness
- Red (track) 95A durometer - stiffest
60A

Quick Reply: Engine/Transmission mounts failure