clutch reservoir cap loose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM
vroomevo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clutch reservoir cap loose?

hello all.
i am wondering if it is normal or not, is clutch reservoir cap(front driver side) not tight? it will not tight well, can't say it's all lose but feels like it's barely tight and i can lift the cap with some wiggling.

just a back ground, it all started with weird sound coming l when i start the car(esp with turning the wheels), found out that my steering reservoir(in engine) was empty, lift the car up, puddle of oil in driver side underpanel, noticed that it was dripping from above-clutch reservoir, now wondering if my clutch slave is bad and need to replaced OR just a faulty cap(that's what i am really hoping...). Refilled the pentosin in steering reservoir(in engine), drives like normal, put rags around the clutch reservoir to see if it leaks again.

Thank you for all your help.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:36 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely clutch slave gone bad.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:49 PM
vroomevo
Advanced

ahh man...car has only 13k miles.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:04 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Trouble ahead I am afraid. That's the issue with these cars. It's time not miles, TIME! Easy fix, replace master, slave and reservoir. All about $ 750-850 in parts and about $500-$700 labor. If that pump was run dry, which the workshop manual cautions, then it's a bit more. Good luck man, not that serious. Also, there is an "O" ring between the reservoir and the pump. It's a small green about $7 bucks. If that's bad it will leak at the rear of car. Check your garage floor for a green liquid.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:23 PM
vroomevo
Advanced

thanks for the reply, nothing under the car, rear of the car was good.
don't really hate the power assisted clutch(have other car with much heavy clutch and hate it driving, esp daily car, LA stop and go traffic) but looking into aftermarket clutch slave. worry that if I replace with OEM, will this problem come back again? i see aftermarket clutch slave(BBI or EVOMS) has their own issues as well.
i want reliability, OEM vs after market clutch slave in terms of reliability? any suggestion?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:44 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same issue: cap threads would skip when tightened. Had to buy the reservoir and cap to replace the cap. Nice and tight.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:52 PM
vroomevo
Advanced

that's exactly what's happening, thread would skip, i smell the trouble down the line, just hoping i can drive this car(only car i can drive daily) for now until i get another car for daily. obviously, something trigger to overflow...
Old 09-18-2018, 08:15 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bates
Had the same issue: cap threads would skip when tightened. Had to buy the reservoir and cap to replace the cap. Nice and tight.
same here, car drives fine. New reservoir and cap from Sonnen, was around $60 if not mistaken.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers

Quick Reply: clutch reservoir cap loose?